HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » White House Petitions: Mu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:40 PM

White House Petitions: Multiple calls for State Secession. 50K petition for Texas to leave Union

Last edited Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:45 PM - Edit history (6)

This is pretty remarkable. Multiple petitions have been started for states to leave the Union. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions). Texas has about 50K petitions currently. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-state-texas-withdraw-united-states-america-and-create-its-own-new-government/BmdWCP8B )

I say we draft a petition that says we are one nation. That we fought a long and hard war over this issue. That calls for secession are treasonous and violate federal law.

Below is a quick draft of a petition I may post. Please provide any suggestions below.

There have been multiple calls for secession from the Union of various States posted on the White House’s “We the People” website. We strongly condemn these petitions as an un-American threat to this nation. We petition that the White house respond forcefully to these requests and reaffirm basic American values of democracy and rule of law. This country fought a bloody and costly war over the question of succession and calls for succession should be answered by reaffirming our basic belief in the system of democracy and law we inherited from our forefathers. As such, calls to undermine this country because of a lawful and democratic election should be denounced by all Americans of any political party or ideology. We would also ask that the White House remind those who sign the petition that acting on these beliefs is a violation of federal law and treason. Seditious conspiracy (18 U.S.C. § 2384) is a crime under United States law. It is stated as follows:

“If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both."

This is, and should always remain, “one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

41 replies, 2424 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 41 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House Petitions: Multiple calls for State Secession. 50K petition for Texas to leave Union (Original post)
BrentWil Nov 2012 OP
underthematrix Nov 2012 #1
Berserker Nov 2012 #2
BrentWil Nov 2012 #27
chillfactor Nov 2012 #3
Incitatus Nov 2012 #4
BlueStreak Nov 2012 #5
Incitatus Nov 2012 #7
BlueStreak Nov 2012 #18
bongbong Nov 2012 #10
northoftheborder Nov 2012 #6
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 #8
Mdterp01 Nov 2012 #9
Poiuyt Nov 2012 #11
earthside Nov 2012 #12
SickOfTheOnePct Nov 2012 #20
AmericanWay Nov 2012 #32
earthside Nov 2012 #35
Zoeisright Nov 2012 #38
Zorra Nov 2012 #13
Buns_of_Fire Nov 2012 #41
Dems50State Nov 2012 #14
John2 Nov 2012 #15
BlueStreak Nov 2012 #26
0rganism Nov 2012 #16
bluestate10 Nov 2012 #23
BlueStreak Nov 2012 #28
cherish44 Nov 2012 #17
bluestate10 Nov 2012 #19
Blue_In_AK Nov 2012 #21
kelliekat44 Nov 2012 #22
prete_nero Nov 2012 #24
prete_nero Nov 2012 #25
BlueStreak Nov 2012 #30
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 #40
John2 Nov 2012 #29
AmericanWay Nov 2012 #34
nc4bo Nov 2012 #36
BrentWil Nov 2012 #31
octoberlib Nov 2012 #33
Batt1eRatt1e Nov 2012 #37
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 #39

Response to BrentWil (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:41 PM

1. These people are attention seeking fools. They are free to leave the USA any time want.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:42 PM

2. Get er started

I will sign

Reply to this post

Response to Berserker (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:14 PM

27. I created a draft

Will get some inputs.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:44 PM

3. ship them all to Texas and let Texas secede....n/t..

Reply to this post

4. It looks like anyone with a keyboard can create and "sign" as many petitions as they want.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people are doing just that for hours on end.

Reply to this post

5. Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass. But please take

Mississippi, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina, and Arizona with you when you form Teabagistan.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStreak (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:47 PM

7. You know Obama won Florida twice, right?

Granted, the governor is an asshole.

Reply to this post

Response to Incitatus (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:02 PM

18. The election system is thoroughly corrupt there.

If Obama hadn't won enough other states. both Ohio and Florida would have turned into replays of 2000 and 2004.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStreak (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:49 PM

10. It won't be called Teabagistan

It will be Methland, named after the only "business" those racist dead-enders & thugs know about.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:46 PM

6. love it or leave it. those stupid Texans should just go away.

From a long suffering Texan of the results of those stupid votes.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 PM

8. Let's not lose sight of the fact that 50K represents less than <.2% of TX population.

Reply to this post

9. No...Texas will be a battleground by 2020 if not before n/t

Reply to this post

11. I think I'll sign the petition

Of course, I live in Wisconsin

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:51 PM

12. This secession thing is disgusting.

With this nation's history of slavery and the trauma it caused this country ... to suggest secession over reelection of our first black president is disgusting.

We fought a very bloody war over this issue 150 years ago -- this question has been settled. This latest ploy demonstrates how extreme and radical have become the Obama-haters.

This is plain racism and bigotry.

Seditious conspiracy (18 U.S.C. § 2384) is a crime under United States law. It is stated as follows:

“If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both."

Reply to this post

Response to earthside (Reply #12)

20. Of course, these petitions do none of this n/t

Reply to this post

Response to earthside (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:36 PM

32. Freedom...remember???

THIS is AMERICA!!!

Reply to this post

Response to AmericanWay (Reply #32)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:50 PM

35. 775,000 killed and dead Americans.

That was the biggest part of the cost of this country's last encounter with secession.

These Obama-haters may have their freedom of speech to whine and moan about seceding because Pres. Obama was reelected.

But I for one would encourage the exercise of the seditious conspiracy law for any of these extremists who cross the line and propose force to overthrow the Union of the United States of America.

It's like these right-wing nut cases have no sense of the history of this country, of the pain and suffering of slavery and how repugnant it is to be discussing this in the context of our first black president.

Reply to this post

Response to AmericanWay (Reply #32)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:53 AM

38. And secession is treason.

This is AMERICA!!

Or something else stupid.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:53 PM

13. Well, who am I to stop them? If they want to go, we should let them go.

Reply to this post

Response to Zorra (Reply #13)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:32 AM

41. I've got no problem with it. We keep the states, though.

They can move, with my blessing, wherever they want. Hey, "Love it or leave it," you creeps.

(I've waited over 40 years to toss that line back in their faces. I must say, I'm rather enjoying it. )

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:54 PM

14. Rick Perry now is the time to come be a star again

The people need you! Come on Rick Perry you know you want to say something on this.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:56 PM

15. This

is simple for Texas. Just like Lincoln, Obama will send in the Troops,and guess who will be tried for Treason. They think they may have no rights now but guess what happened to the Confederacy.

Reply to this post

Response to John2 (Reply #15)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:12 PM

26. The South won.

It just took us 160 years to figure that out.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:59 PM

16. if President Obama responds to their bullshit, he can say...

It's understandable that certain people will be disappointed, especially after an election that didn't go their way. However, before undertaking such a serious proposition, we should hear from a supermajority of state residents that they are, in fact, willing to cede the benefits of membership in the United States for an uncertain future as diplomatically isolated nations. Should they secede, the people of these states will lose
* all accumulated Medicare benefits
* all accumulated Social Security benefits
* access to medicare and food stamp support
* open border access to the United States
* any and all military infrastructure (bases, ports, airfields)
* all federal funding of highways and other transportation infrastructure

Furthermore, the seceded nation-states will need to re-negotiate trade and defense treaties with the USA. Under the conditions of extreme poverty and desperation that will ensue, these treaties will not be arrived at from a position of strength.

As such, for their own safety, we must decline consideration of such measures until definitively set forth by a strong majority of a well-informed plebecite.

Reply to this post

Response to 0rganism (Reply #16)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:06 PM

23. All funding to education. All funding for water management, all funding for disaster aid.

Texas will come out losing big. Good people would leave the state to rejoin the Union.

Reply to this post

Response to 0rganism (Reply #16)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:15 PM

28. If you take those things away from the red states

they will slip to the bottom half of education, life expectancy, economic productivity, family income -- and the top half of teen pregnancies, divorces and government dependency.

Oh, wait a minute. They are already there.

Never mind.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:00 PM

17. Kind of a slap in the face

To all the people to have fought, died, and sacrificed for this country. So your guy lost...get over it. Not everyone gets their way all the time in US elections but at least some can be grown ups about it.

Reply to this post

19. People that want Texas to stay in the Union should sign a counter-petition saying they want to stay

in the Union. Then see who gets the most signatures.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:03 PM

21. Dumb shits...

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:06 PM

22. I say ignore the lot of them.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:07 PM

24. A Deputy I work with just mentioned this...

...and I had no idea what he was talking about. The way he said it "half of the states have petitioned to secede already". I asked him what he was talking about and he couldn't really verbalize it, glad to see this here so I know.

I, of course, then started talking with him about how I didn't think that would happen. I really do believe all this 'doomsday' stuff about politics is mostly just fear and manipulation by the corporate or media powers...I said that there really wasn't a reason to worry about it because if something like that even DID come true you would be able to figure out what to do then, for now its like wasting worry, time and money planning on being hit by lightning or something.
After that it kind of just devolved into a 'semi-argument' about the merits of being prepared and how much ammunition/food one should be stocking up on.

Guys n gals...I work with some of the most conservative but still level headed people I can imagine. I really do think this stuff about the end of the country or revolution is crazy, but there is a large segment of people out there who truly believe this stuff.

Take the consequences of that as you will, I'm not sure what it means, but it certainly is strange/disconcerting.

Reply to this post

Response to prete_nero (Reply #24)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:08 PM

25. oh also

Oh, also...I don't think we should 'send' anyone to one particular place and let them secede.
This is America and if they don't like it they can LEAVE!
I am sick of hearing that when I have complaints, if they do then they should take their own damn advise!

Reply to this post

Response to prete_nero (Reply #25)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:17 PM

30. Somolia is a libertarian's dream.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStreak (Reply #30)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:13 AM

40. It's actually "Somalia" with an A, but since TEXANS are the really STOOPID people, who cares?

Bash the fuck outta them, because they're STOOPID, yanno?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:15 PM

29. Half the states

have done what? It was just some wing nits in North Carolina that don't speak for us. President Obama won in every county that has a major city in North Carolina. The wing nits in the rural areas might have gave Romney a slim margin, but the urban areas are the Bread and Butter in our state. They can't do anything without us. We have all the jobs and industries that they come in town to work. And I wouldn't do that if I was McCrory or his Legislator. We'll probably put him in jail for treason and have a new Election. They also better take a look at who is on the North Carolina State Supreme Court also.

Reply to this post

Response to John2 (Reply #29)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:02 AM

36. I suspect most of these people are needing a bottle and a diaper change. Let them sit in it!!

Kolob knows it was all perfectly fine with the RWNJs to have a Supreme Jackass lead us into 2 illegal, unpaid for wars and a Patriot Act as well as enabling his BFFs to make grand bank with government money in Iraq and BFF WallStreet to gut this country's health and wealth, life and liberties.

Bunch of grown ass 2-year olds with shitty diapers throwing temper tantrums demanding attention.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:31 PM

31. Response Petition? I need 150 signatures to make it publicly searchable

I edited a draft response petition. I would need 150 signatures to make it searchable on the WH website. Is this something you guys would be willing to help me get?

Reply to this post

Response to BrentWil (Reply #31)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:42 PM

33. I'll sign it and post it on Facebook. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:03 AM

37. hillbilly heaven

All these hilljacks wanna get together and form a big incest family band with banjos and spoons.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:09 AM

39. 50,000 people out of a population of >25,000,000 and DU acts as if it's the WHOLE state.

Come the fuck ON... Really?

As IF your totally blue state has less than 0.2% who could be considered fuckups? You DO live in a totally blue state, right? Of course, NO DUer would live in a state that had even the TINIEST number of republicans, right?

No blue voters in Texas... nope. Not ONE.

I am so fucking sick of this shit that I actually consider poking burning pencils in my eyes sometimes...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread