HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ok, ok there are days tha...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:46 PM

Ok, ok there are days that I am convinced writing fiction

is kind of a fools errand. No, not because it is hard to sell... nope, not one bit.

The revelations coming out from the David Patreaus fiasco are once again proving the old adage, "truth is stranger than fiction."

So let me summarize in bullet points what we know.

1.- Retired General started having an affair at his Headquarters in Kabul.... check

2.- Retired General is appointed to be the chief spy... check

3.- It is found due to some threatening emails.

4.- Members of the MINORITY party get briefed on the national security breach before the President of the United States... check

5.- FBI agent involved in the investigation... sends shirtless photos of himself to one of the women involved in this fiasco.

oh and forgot

6.- Love interest is also photographed with deep political operative in UNIFORM no less, at a political function... (Rove)

Ok, ok, for all those of you who are fellow writers. lay the odds of selling this to any publisher as purely a spy novel? (OF course, now we could as current affairs) Oy.

Now back to my modern science fiction fantasy with elements of cyberpunk. I think that plot makes a tad more sense than this.

10 replies, 818 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ok, ok there are days that I am convinced writing fiction (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 OP
niyad Nov 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #3
CherokeeDem Nov 2012 #2
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #5
Whisp Nov 2012 #6
TeamPooka Nov 2012 #4
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #8
kickysnana Nov 2012 #7
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #9
janx Nov 2012 #10

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:54 PM

1. this is what I have been saying ever since we got stuck with chimpy--NO legit publishing company

would have EVER published a fictional story about stolen elections, illegal wars, and the utter insanity of the reichwingnuts because even fiction has to be somewhat credible and believable. and, as has been noticed frequently on this board, it is getting harder and harder to tell Onion headlines from actual headlines (actually, Onion's are more believable).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to niyad (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:57 PM

3. I often times check on amazing headlines

to make sure they are NOT from the Onion. I know.

Twilight zone...

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:55 PM

2. As a fellow writer, I agree completely....

As I was reading the latest tidbit, the FBI agent emailing shirtless pictures of himself, I thought you simply couldn't make this shit up. I don't believe anyone would consider this a plausible plot.

I will return to editing my science fiction mystery novel set in the future. I think my plot makes more sense as well.

Reply to this post

Response to CherokeeDem (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:00 PM

5. Good luck in the editing department

playing with betas of a program I have used in the IPAD for years. (going to mac and pc)... now if we had scrivener for both IPAD and MAC (PC)...

But I control that plot... so do you... and lord knows some of my characters would be this crazy. But not often... down boys, down!

Reply to this post

Response to CherokeeDem (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:01 PM

6. this has a Twin Peaks sort of feel to it, for me.

It's an old tv series that I didn't watch when it was current but recently got it on NetFlix.

It's strange. Kind of reminds me of this story - of which we will be hearing a lot more strange tid bits in the coming days.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:57 PM

4. change the names, add a dog and there you go. Oscar please!

Reply to this post

Response to TeamPooka (Reply #4)

8. I will have to add a few elements of this

to the story I am writing. The minority party getting briefed by the national security state is kind of a nice little detail.

And yes, when aliens (well kind off) invade the planet through a portal... err wormhole...

Reply to this post

7. This scares the s..t out of me..

"4.- Members of the MINORITY party get briefed on the national security breach before the President of the United States... check "

Also scary: Looks like FEMA under Homeland is still not able to do what it was chartered to do

Also scary, Supreme court immediately takes on Voting Rights Legislation case after the majorities party loses despite all the illegal or undemocratic dirty tricks.

Reply to this post

Response to kickysnana (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:02 PM

9. Yeah, something is going on in DC

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:04 PM

10. It's not the plot.

It's the people.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread