HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Hideously racist LTTE in ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:08 AM

Hideously racist LTTE in my paper, and some heartwarming backlash against it:

The original, in part:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/letters/fl-letters--1108-20121108,0,6892696.story

"What has America done?

Today should be a day of national mourning. Our country is in rigor mortis. It died last night and never will be great again. The low-lives have become the majority, stupidity has become the norm, mediocrity has become the new standard and Judeo Christian ethics gone!

As of today, I no longer consider myself to be a patriot because I am thoroughly ashamed of what this nation has become. When a person of questionable background, poor record who has no plan for the future can be re-elected by a combination of black and mixed races, Latinos, single women, unions and over-indulged spoiled college kids, it shows how retarded we are."

Thankfully, the backlash was swift:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/letters/fl-letters-1109-20121109,0,1829212.story

Letter writer was appalling and clueless

I was appalled by the letter: "What has America become?" The writer said "when a person of questionable background ... is re-elected by a combination of blacks and mixed races, Latinos, single women, unions and over-indulged spoiled college kids, it shows how retarded we are."

I am a white, middle class woman. Yes, I am single. A sin, evidently. I am self-supporting, own my own condo outright, have a masters degree in education. My parents did not pay for me to go to school. I have been gainfully employed my entire life. I have an IQ in the 140s. I am neither a "low-life" nor stupid, and my ethics are impeccable.

I am also a screaming liberal and an unapologetic Democrat. The letter reeks of racism and I am not sure that women are on the writer's acceptable list, unless they are married. My work takes me into people's homes, from the very well-to-do, to those in such poverty that they have no furniture. I have seen both sides. Everyone has problems, not just the poor. I do not believe corporations are people. I am not rich, but I do not object to paying taxes.

The chief objection I have about many Republicans is the inference that just because I disagree with them, I am stupid. For one thing, I would love to see a study of the correlation between the amount and quality of education in the blue and red states. I do not believe that someone is stupid because they do not agree with me. The writer must lead a pretty sheltered life if he discards all the people he is disparaging. We are a diverse society. We should embrace it versus demonizing it.

And another

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/letters/fl-letters-1111-20121111,0,4913991.story

Letter unacceptable

I had no problem with your newspaper coming out for Mitt Romney. However, the letter entitled "What has America done" was in such poor taste that I was shocked reading it.

I've been a subscriber to your newspaper for over 20 years, but for you to publish a letter where the majority of your readers were called "low-lives and stupid, and retarded" is just unacceptable.

By the way, I am neither black nor mixed race, nor Latino, nor single.

And some more:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/letters/fl-letters-1112-20121112,0,5634889.story

What America is all about

I was appalled by the letter you published on Nov. 8. It clearly stated the worst arguments of the worst side of American society. I could not imagine why you would choose to publish it. I guess that is your job.

Today there was another letter to the editor titled, "Letter writer was appalling and clueless." It was a well-written, clear repudiation of the bare-faced ugliness of the previous writer. Thank goodness! This response is what America is all about.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 replies, 869 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hideously racist LTTE in my paper, and some heartwarming backlash against it: (Original post)
Tommy_Carcetti Nov 2012 OP
Tommy_Carcetti Nov 2012 #1
otohara Nov 2012 #2
Tommy_Carcetti Nov 2012 #4
Tommy_Carcetti Nov 2012 #3

Response to Tommy_Carcetti (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:54 AM

1. I think the original letter is useful in that it says what we all really knew:

The opposition to President Obama was, at least in part, race based.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:06 AM

2. This Is Mild Compared

to some of the racist crap I've read on the world-wide-web.

A friend asked if I was still celebrating yesterday. It's hard to celebrate when you read what the racists and haters have said since PBO won. Good thing pot is widely available in CO - the ability to forget helps!

Reply to this post

Response to otohara (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:19 AM

4. It's a sad reflection when claiming the election was decided by "blacks and mixed races" is.....

....considered mild.

The more we change, the more we stay the same.

SMH.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread