So far, and it's still early, I don't see much that's sinister in terms of
the administration and timeline.
- Late summer (up to Sep 22), they determine a link to Petraeus but they're monitoring it
- In Sept, they review legal charges and who to interview
- Late Sept, first interview with Broadwell - she turns over her computer
- Week before the election, they interview Petraeus, who had been in Libya, and I presume at that point, ask Petraeus about the classified documents recently found on Broadwell's computer
- The FBI determines that at this point, there isn't enough to bring charges and advise Petraeus' boss 5pm, the day of the election.
- The evening of the election and the next day, Clapper, Petraeus' boss asks that Petraeus step down
- the following day, two days after the election, Obama is told and Petraeus resigns
If the FBI haven't found enough to bring charges at that point, how serious can this be with respect to the Obama admin?
I'm sure the Republicans can try to make something of it but it has to be tough because Petraeus was a consideration as a GOP candidate for president and no matter what they say about Obama, Petraeus is far more in the wrong on this.