HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Just unfriended, in every...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:45 PM

Just unfriended, in every respect, a childhood friend who turned out to be a Trump-loving birther.

Some "differences of opinion" are too damn big to live with.

Just had to share. Thanks DU.

15 replies, 1928 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just unfriended, in every respect, a childhood friend who turned out to be a Trump-loving birther. (Original post)
Chorophyll Nov 2012 OP
Lint Head Nov 2012 #1
Whisp Nov 2012 #2
Chorophyll Nov 2012 #9
Mopar151 Nov 2012 #3
missingfink Nov 2012 #4
Autumn Nov 2012 #5
Chorophyll Nov 2012 #10
GentryDixon Nov 2012 #6
Chorophyll Nov 2012 #11
rock Nov 2012 #7
Chorophyll Nov 2012 #12
CakeGrrl Nov 2012 #8
Chorophyll Nov 2012 #13
pacalo Nov 2012 #14
Chorophyll Nov 2012 #15

Response to Chorophyll (Original post)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:47 PM

1. Been doing that most of the week.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:48 PM

2. sorry it came to that.

that's really a shame but you are probably better off and without future heartburn and rage.

I just don't understand how people can be so polarized about this. I guess Fox has done it's job well above expectations - that's the only thing I can pin all the madness on.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:38 PM

9. This person is in a bubble of not just misinformation,

but lack of information. And she's sort of proud about it. It's pretty stunning.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:49 PM

3. It's sad when your friends go rancid

Some forms of self-rightousness appear to have effects similar to crystal meth.......

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:54 PM

4. Most of us have the same problem

Yes, before Fox News and Rush Limbaugh, my right-wing friends were somewhat civil about our policy differences. Since the growth of those two news/propaganda sources, they have become very obnoxious with their opinions. I was thinking about "unfriending" them when they would post their bile on FB but decided to wait until after the election to witness their meltdowns after the GOP lost. What a great decision that was!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:54 PM

5. I found a relative I have not seen in 20 years on FB. Turns out she is a real freeper.

as in from the real freak site when she sent me an invitation to join her there. I unfriended her.

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:39 PM

10. Yikes.

Yep, that would be a deal-breaker for me too.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:56 PM

6. I got un friended by my husband's

niece, who is the wife a Baptist Preacher. I got tired of the blather and decided to fight back with facts. It did not end well, as her sister got involved in the discussion and they both un friended me. The good new is, one of their followers liked one of my comments, and I did get a good deal of facts in before the tombstoned me. I am probably the talk of the family by now, but the other good news is I live 2531 miles away!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to GentryDixon (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:40 PM

11. Facts: they just can't handle 'em.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 06:35 PM

7. And some "differences of species intelligence" are too damn big to live with

And when someone turns out to be a Trump-loving birther, I begin to have my suspicions if this isn't one of those instances.

Reply to this post

Response to rock (Reply #7)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:41 PM

12. Indeed. I was trying to be kind, I guess.

It's one thing if you want to be a birther. But to admire Trump? That's a whole other level of

I was shocked.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 06:47 PM

8. You gotta do what you gotta do

A question that just comes to mind, as an African American: I wonder how many, if ANY, AA's and other people of color have this happen, meaning the discovery that longtime friends, family or acquaintances turn out to be pretty rabid birther/wingnut types?

I do have a couple of GOP-voting friends (one mixed, one white for example) whom I still consider friends because we've been able to focus on commonalities as individuals rather than having our politics define our relationship.

On the other hand, sometimes a person's ideology is their defining characteristic. I suppose that's because in those cases it informs all their attitudes and behaviors, making the prospect of maintaining any sort of relationship or association an impossibility.

Reply to this post

Response to CakeGrrl (Reply #8)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:44 PM

13. That's the thing. I mean, I have a few friends who consider themselves "fiscal" conservatives

or old-school Republicans. And while I'd prefer not to talk politics with them, they're not mean-spirited. They're not, to the best of my knowledge, racist. They're just sort of uptight, I guess. And maybe getting a little old.

But to latch onto someone who in my opinion is just a blathering, attention-seeking racist... I mean, I can't help but see this friend's entire life through that lens now.

Reply to this post

Response to Chorophyll (Reply #13)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:12 AM

14. I can really identify with that last line where you can't help seeing your friend's entire life

through that lens now. My childhood friend since the 4th grade & I were like sisters who shaped our personalities &, I thought, overall life views alike. When she married a Michigander who was stationed in Germany when she was 20, the distance between us caused us to increasingly grow apart.

As we were growing up, the fact that her family was Republican & mine was Democratic was never an issue of consequence until Bush came along. At that time our differences came through during sporadic phone calls & I began to see her through that same lens, &, as sad as it is, I can't help feeling less about her than I used to. Truth & injustice are too important to me, as it must be with you, too.

Reply to this post

Response to pacalo (Reply #14)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 08:29 AM

15. I think, for some of us, our political beliefs are very much a part of who we are as people.

This is especially true for people here at DU. This isn't something we only think about every four years, it's part of daily life. We're on a constant roller coaster of hope, outrage, despair, and celebration. So for me, at this point, having a friend who thinks Donald Trump has done great things for America (yep, she said that) is just not really possible.

Maybe your friend isn't quite at that point yet. Don't give up on her unless it's absolutely necessary.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread