HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » this used to be Armistice...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:44 PM

this used to be Armistice Day

Of course, Memorial Day used to be Decoration Day, which is why it is not celebrated in some southern states - because it was originally a day for members of the GAR to put on their "decorations" and march in parades held in their honor.

That is something I learned from reading Edward Bellamy's seminal book "Looking Backward".

In "Mother Night", Kurt Vonnegut complains about Armistice Day being changed to Veterans Day, because Armistice Day was a day to honor the dead and Veteran's Day is a day to honor the living.

Unlike Vonnegut, I am not old enough to remember Armistice Day, but I like the name, and wish we had such a holiday. An Armistice is a "truce, especially a permanent one". Although in practice, for western civilization "permanent" means "until the next time our king feels like attacking your country".

On 11 November 1918, many people were hopeful though, that they had just fought "the war to end all wars". So I feel that Armistice Day was originally established, not to honor the veterans of WWI, but to celebrate World Peace.

Maybe I am wrong though, but at least the name Armistice Day suggests that it was a day to honor peace. A day to celebrate a truce, especially a permanent one.

Now it seems more like a day to celebrate war - just like Memorial Day and the 4th of July.

Don't we already have enough holidays honoring warriors and celebrating war? Why can't we have a holiday celebrating peace? Doesn't peace take courage? ( to Ava)

Sure, it is undeniably brave to risk death and dismemberment to become part of a group dedicated to inflicting death and dismemberment upon some other group of people, and especially upon the "heroes" attempting to defend that other group of people and inflict death and dismemberment upon our side. Also a bunch of houses, factories, bridges, warehouses and such get blown up, which is a great contribution to human progress. Or not.

My view is that war is good for absolutely nothing, so I cannot be all rah-rah about celebrating the people who engage in it, even if they do so for "our" side (assuming that myself and the corporations profitting from the war are on the same side). Heck, maybe the best way to honor Veterans, those who have been through the hell of war - is to stop putting people through the hell of war.

5 replies, 618 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply this used to be Armistice Day (Original post)
hfojvt Nov 2012 OP
pinto Nov 2012 #1
Spider Jerusalem Nov 2012 #3
WinkyDink Nov 2012 #2
JackRiddler Nov 2012 #4
Oldfolkie Nov 2012 #5

Response to hfojvt (Original post)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:48 PM

1. And in most of the UK it's "Remembrance Day"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to pinto (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:55 PM

3. All of the UK

and most people will wear a poppy for a week or so up to Remembrance Sunday (and you won't see a politician or newsreader without one), and most places people will stop what they're doing for two minutes' silence at 11am.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:51 PM

2. So you think the Nazis should not have been defeated? The Union should not have been kept intact?

The Battle of Tours was pointless?

And, of course, et cetera.

Reply to this post

Response to WinkyDink (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:22 PM

4. Yawn. Same old reflexive response.

Since World War II, the US has remained continuously at war, usually in multiple theaters, covertly and overtly. WWII, by the way, had nothing to do with "should have." Japan attacked and the Nazis declared war, so the US legitimately defended itself. Even in the Civil War, as you should know, the Confederacy struck first. So sorry if your examples of noble war don't actually apply.

Do you care to justify all the war since 1945 - Vietnam, Iraq, Cambodia, Laos, the coups in Iran, Guatemala, Congo, Chile, Bolivia, "Operation Condor," the interventions in Central America costing hundreds of thousands of lives, a world-straddling 800-base empire, a dozen carrier groups and all the military operations eating up 50% of the federal discretionary budget, interventions everywhere, drone war today? And still, thousands of nuclear weapons for a war that must never be fought. Insanity.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:23 PM

5. Brit retirees here in the Philippines,,,

,,, were wearing poppys the last few days. One 76 yr old wore one worn by his father. When I was a kid, WWII days, everyone - it seemed - would wear them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread