HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If Obama gets absolutely ...

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:19 PM

If Obama gets absolutely nothing done in the next 4 years, that'll be fine by me

As long as we don't lose anything else. Or make any more concessions on anything. It's not time to compromise, it's time to hold the line. Until we either get more Democrats elected to the House and Senate, or the Republicans finally see that their "Tyranny of the minority" will not work anymore, I say, just getting 'nothing' done would probably be a step forward compared to the altenative Republicans would like to see happen.

5 replies, 710 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply If Obama gets absolutely nothing done in the next 4 years, that'll be fine by me (Original post)
Flying Squirrel Nov 2012 OP
democrattotheend Nov 2012 #1
Jack Sprat Nov 2012 #3
narnian60 Nov 2012 #2
woo me with science Nov 2012 #4
zbdent Nov 2012 #5

Response to Flying Squirrel (Original post)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:23 PM

1. I completely disagree

If Obama gets nothing done, first of all, the sequester will happen and we could slide back into recession. If that happens, we will suffer big midterm losses again in 2014 and the Republicans will take back the White House in 2016.

Politics aside, there is a lot we need to accomplish in the next four years. It's rare for one party to hold the White House for three consecutive terms, and on issues like Social Security that will have to be dealt with eventually, I would much rather do them now while we have a Democratic president than wait until the Republicans are back in power, a result that is all but guaranteed if Obama does nothing in his second term.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to democrattotheend (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:36 PM

3. I think you're right.

A longterm debt resolution accomplished in a balanced way with our Senate and our President would do much to add another feather in our cap.

To lead the country out of dark, deep recession that we had to start with and solve the longterm fiscal dilemma that has hurt Europe so badly would catapult us to the party with sound fiscal governance. We gave it to them in the 90s only to see Bush republicans throw it away. If we manage it well again, I think it would cement it in the history books. From Roosevelt to Clinton to Obama, we had the right answers to counter republican ineptitude to manage this country's financial business.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:33 PM

2. The Prez would NEVER settle for that. Look what he accomplished his first term.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:40 PM

4. Absolutely.

If the only options on an important given issue are doing nothing versus compromising in a way that will move us further rightward and further harm the country, then we grind the damned government to a halt. Austerity is malignant.

Responsible politicians do not endorse, rationalize, or enable malignantly destructive policies just to "get something done." This country is being eaten alive because of enabling Republican blackmail. It is time for it to end.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:02 PM

5. Amusing how Boner talks about Obama's "leadership" failure, when

he took his orders directly from the 'baggers WHEN OBAMA AND HE HAD WORKED OUT A COMPROMISE LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO DO ...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread