HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » They want to rob Social S...

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:22 PM

They want to rob Social Security of its funds; it's about nothing but that.

Last edited Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:05 PM - Edit history (2)

W. Bush toured the US for months declaring that SS was in imminent danger, that we must hand it over to Wall Street to save it. This has been going on in Spain, Portugal, Ireland, and Greece for years now, and Greece is in flames, literally. Europe is planning a November 14th General Strike against austerity...which they'll likely portray on the news as "rioting" without mention of why or the underlying issue of orchestrated, socialized THEFT.

Edit:

Fiscal Cliff Talks Will Likely Target Medicare, Social Security, Programs For The Poor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/11/fiscal-cliff-talks-medicare-social-security_n_2113259.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

WASHINGTON -- After bailing out a global financial crisis, enacting a series of major tax cuts for the wealthy and waging two unpaid-for wars, the U.S. government is some $16 trillion in debt. Now, in exchange for paying off a bit of that debt by returning some of the tax rates to their previous levels, Democrats have offered, in a series of high-profile negotiations, to slash trillions in spending, much of it hitting the elderly, the poor and the middle class. This process of transferring wealth up the economic ladder is known in Washington as a "grand bargain."

With the election over, Democrats and Republicans will soon be back at the negotiating table, driven there by the so-called "fiscal cliff" -- the moment in January 2013 when the Bush-era tax cuts expire and automatic cuts to defense and social programs take effect.

In order to avoid this scenario, President Barack Obama is proposing a grand bargain that would reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over 10 years, relying on a 3-to-1 mix of spending cuts and revenue increases.

(More at the link.)

You know what? RETRIEVE THE BANKSTER/WALL STREET BAILOUT MONEY. See? Problem solved.

NO SOCIALIZATION OF GOVERNMENT DEBT! I WON'T PAY FOR BUSH'S WARS!

They can print endless amounts of money for the banks but none for the citizens of the country.

28 replies, 2301 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply They want to rob Social Security of its funds; it's about nothing but that. (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Nov 2012 OP
woo me with science Nov 2012 #1
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #21
spanone Nov 2012 #2
ProfessionalLeftist Nov 2012 #7
TBF Nov 2012 #8
silverweb Nov 2012 #15
SoCalDem Nov 2012 #3
woo me with science Nov 2012 #6
freshwest Nov 2012 #11
KansDem Nov 2012 #25
former-republican Nov 2012 #20
LaydeeBug Nov 2012 #4
Junkdrawer Nov 2012 #9
savannah43 Nov 2012 #10
reformist2 Nov 2012 #12
LaydeeBug Nov 2012 #18
reformist2 Nov 2012 #24
LaydeeBug Nov 2012 #28
Major Nikon Nov 2012 #22
reformist2 Nov 2012 #23
Major Nikon Nov 2012 #26
rhett o rick Nov 2012 #5
byeya Nov 2012 #13
ErikJ Nov 2012 #14
stupidicus Nov 2012 #16
ReRe Nov 2012 #17
former-republican Nov 2012 #19
sabrina 1 Nov 2012 #27

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:09 PM

1. K&R

The looting must stop. It is time to call out every economic lie of the past 30 years.

It is time to call brazen theft what it is.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to woo me with science (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:34 PM

21. +10000

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:12 PM

2. privatization is their goal. federal money electronically deposited into their accounts

they would do it with every social program we have.

Reply to this post

Response to spanone (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:27 PM

7. EXACTLY. They want it ALL. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessionalLeftist (Reply #7)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:29 PM

8. This. nt

Reply to this post

Response to spanone (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:29 PM

15. That's it in a nutshell.

Privatize everything so that 2% can siphon off profits for themselves from the (increased) tax burden of the 98%.

My belief system tells me I shouldn't hate anyone, but I'm really having a whole lot of trouble overcoming my hatred and loathing of the vulture capitalists/profiteers. It's very hard to separate the person from that kind of evil; they have to know what they're doing and willingly choose it.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:15 PM

3. Yep.. they sucked money from Savings & Loans a while back

sucked money from pensions
sucked money from 401-ks
sucked money from real estate

all that's left is SS

Reply to this post

Response to SoCalDem (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:18 PM

6. Good examples, but SS is definitely not all that's left.

Education is the next big enchilada and already has bipartisan support. Prisons. You name it. Water.

They have only just begun.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:03 PM

11. With millions of Teahadist profiting personally. A powerful, but immoral, voting block.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:14 AM

25. "They have only just begun."

Reminds me of that old tune:

They've only just begun
To raid
Pensions and safety nets
The One Percenters are on their way
And they've only just begun...

Reply to this post

Response to SoCalDem (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:33 PM

20. 200 years ago they would have been tared and feathered

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:16 PM

4. No dear, they've ALREADY ROBBED those funds. they do not want to pay them back. nt

Reply to this post

Response to LaydeeBug (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:44 PM

9. They don't want to raise the taxes needed to redeem the bonds....

I also used the "Pay Back" language here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021768814

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:01 PM

10. Exactly!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:06 PM

12. They haven't robbed a dime... yet. SS has almost $3 trillion in US bonds, just as good as anyone's.

And considering that mountain of funds SS has to draw upon, let there be no talk of cutting benefits.

Reply to this post

Response to reformist2 (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:29 PM

18. oh yes they did. Remember Al Gore's "lock box"? They took that money in the form of tax cuts

and now they have to pay it back.

Reply to this post

Response to LaydeeBug (Reply #18)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:07 AM

24. oh no, they didn't. Saying they've already robbed SS is halfway to admitting you've lost.

Reply to this post

Response to reformist2 (Reply #24)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:21 PM

28. No, it's not.

It's the truth. They've raided that fund AND we haven't lost.

Reply to this post

Response to reformist2 (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:52 PM

22. Effectively, they have

When SS is forced to make big draws against the trust fund, the money used to pay for that will have to come from either more borrowing, cuts to spending, or increased taxes.

This wouldn't be a big deal if we weren't in such dire straights with borrowing already, thanks to the Bush tax cuts and two unfunded wars.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #22)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:06 AM

23. No, they haven't. As long as they continue to promise 100% of obligations, nobody is being robbed.

Reply to this post

Response to reformist2 (Reply #23)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:48 PM

26. Where do you think those promises are going to come from?

They can't just print more money to pay for those obligations (well, they can, but they won't). The three I listed are the options. Which one do you think it will be?

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:17 PM

5. There should be no compromise re. SS, Medicare and Medicaid. nm

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:07 PM

13. Social Security cannot add to the national debt. Also, the SSA operates on a 1% overhead so how can

a layer of profiteering and huge executive salaries help SS? It can't because it'll just line the pockets of the too-rich at the expense of those who have paid into the insurance system all their work lives.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:08 PM

14. SOCIAL SECURITY HAS A $2.6 TRILLION SURPLUS!!

The surplus will peak in about 10 years at $4TRILLION. It will have surplus until 2037 given current economy. And then it will still be able to pay 90% of its obligations. If the SS cap was lifted from its current $105,000 it would be solvent forever.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:49 PM

16. but, but, so many here declared this wouldn't/couldn't happen!!!

and declared all those who dared post such pre-election were undermining his chances and were therefore traitors to the cause.

I'm so confused -- are fears and/or criticisms of our newly reelected pres now allowed?

I'm happy he kept his job, but that doesn't mean one has to be happy with everything he might do in it, no?

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:31 PM

17. K&R

It was GWs 2 budget-busting invisible (not on the books) needless wars of "preemptive" invasion/aggression, followed by his Paulson-Wall Street bank & insurance bailouts that got us into this mess in the first place. Wall Street needs to pay the USG back what they borrowed, plus interest, before the end of December, 2012. And the profiteers (KBR, Halliburton, etc, etc., etc.) from the invasions need to pay a percentage back to the USG, since the greedy criminals didn't provide half of what they should have for the care of our brave soldiers. Unclean clothes, maggots in their food, filthy contaminated disease-ridden water. And THEN let the big tax breaks for the rich twilight (AS THEY SHOULD HAVE 2,3 OR 4 YRS AGO!) Oh yeah, cut the subsidy to big f___ing OIL. Why there's all kinds of ways we could cut the deficit down real quick if we had the guts to do it! What about the MIC? Why can't they chip a little in, since they are the real ones that have all the money on this planet? We could use some of that to take care of our returning veterans who are plagued with PTSD and God awful physical wounds.

It's a money grab folks. Just another clear unadulterated money grab. THIS COUNTRY IS NOT BROKE!!! This is the richest country in the world! They see that money and they want it. Over the last 30-40-5o years, they have been doing the old shell game. Now you see it, now you don't. Sleight of hand with vague ambiguous wording. We absolutely must stand up and continue to fight

I have a lot of hope right now... I've seen a few miracles in the past week. The People have spoken, against all odds, against all that money. We must remind ourselves of that fact each and every day, and especially as we begin anew another election campaign in the midterm. Democracy is "hard".

But the results are sweet for so many, even the ones who don't agree with us. Proceed.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:30 PM

19. That's why you never put someone on a pedestal

they always fall off

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:51 PM

27. Yes, privatization of SS is the goal and always has been for the far Right. Now we have

the Third Way embedded in the Democratic Party and according to their website, they are geared up to continue their fight for privatization 'savings accounts' they call it, from within the Dem Party.

We'll see over the next the few months, finally whether the Dem Party will take a stand for its own principles.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread