HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Following Iranís Lead, Ch...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:48 AM

Following Iranís Lead, China Blocks Google

This brings on more and more the continued need for R&D for peer-to-peer internet communication skirting the traditional approach. Some work has been done on this, but I'm not up anymore on the latest R&D. It would be in a topological manner akin to the hidden radios/transmitters in repressive countries during WWII.

http://www.care2.com/causes/following-irans-lead-china-blocks-google.html

The Chinese government blocked Google websites Friday in what appears to be part of an escalating crack down on Chinese Internet users as the Communist Party goes through a leadership transition. Despite being the fifth most trafficked site in China, Google had previously considered leaving the Chinese market altogether in 2010 in response to Chinese filtering and a cyber attack on Gmail servers.

While Googleís Youtube has been blocked in China since 2009, todayís move affects all the core Google services, including Gmail, Play, Docs, Maps, and Analytics. The block on Google Analytics could have particularly complex repercussions for the web outside of China because it means Chinese users will not be tracked on the thousands of websites using the analytics tool.

Most reports indicate a relatively conservative economic and political block may be taking power in the current leadership transition, signaling trouble for foreign companies doing business in ChinaĖespecially online, like Google. That conservative block already considers social media a thorn in its side, and likely wonít take as kindly to the type of criticism now being thrown at outgoing Chinese President Hu Jintao over social media. The threat of this unbridled freedom of expression may be the driving force behind the regimeís decision to block Google and other services key to routing Chinese censorship: Users have also reported difficulty accessing virtual private networks (VPNs) in recent weeks, a tool frequently relied on by users in China and other countries with limited online freedom to bypass restrictions.

China isnít the first country to block Google services ó their actions mirror Iranís block in September, which was only partially lifted to allow Gmail access after complaints from Iranian officials. While China and its Great Fire Wall are largely discussed as among the most complex and restrictive Internet filtering regimes, Iran has been working towards cutting itself off from the internet entirely and replacing it with a closet network. The equipment behind that closed intranet was manufactured by Chinese company Huawei. The U.S. announced sanctions against Reza Taghipour, the minister behind Iranís internet censorship program, citing his role in jamming satellite television broadcasts and restricting Internet connectivity. Itís highly unlikely China will face similar repercussions for their online censorship.

This post was originally published by ThinkProgress.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/following-irans-lead-china-blocks-google.html#ixzz2Buxbbgra

3 replies, 450 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Following Iranís Lead, China Blocks Google (Original post)
RKP5637 Nov 2012 OP
davidpdx Nov 2012 #1
RKP5637 Nov 2012 #2
davidpdx Nov 2012 #3

Response to RKP5637 (Original post)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:57 AM

1. China has been heavily censoring the internet for a long time

I recently spent 10 months there and it is near impossible to get on Facebook. I finally bought into a year of VPN service and that helped a little bit. Even then they would fuck with connections with the IP addresses which meant I would have to email the VPN company and get a different IP address. The one thing I could do is download stuff.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to davidpdx (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 08:10 AM

2. Yep, it's very similar to the Radio Jamming during WWII. SOS, just a different communication

mode.

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:05 PM

3. I believe North Korea still tries to do that

But people can adjust their sets to watch dramas from South Korea and DVDs are smuggled in with movies and stuff.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread