HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Have you witnessed a Cons...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:42 PM

Have you witnessed a Conservative change their mind?

I'm thinking about deprogramming techniques...seen some examples on DU of people realizing Fox News was Bullshit Mountain....

Are other people witnessing a shift, a change of a Republican mind when confronted with truth?

Because usually they just react and deny, bury and blame.

What causes them to actually wake up and say 'hey, what the fuck?'

I have struggled to study the Republican mind for 20 years, please help!!

23 replies, 1125 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Have you witnessed a Conservative change their mind? (Original post)
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 OP
Anthony McCarthy Nov 2012 #1
Mr.Bill Nov 2012 #2
FLyellowdog Nov 2012 #10
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #13
Mr.Bill Nov 2012 #17
LaydeeBug Nov 2012 #3
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #22
HiPointDem Nov 2012 #4
RebelOne Nov 2012 #5
0rganism Nov 2012 #6
kydo Nov 2012 #7
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #11
kydo Nov 2012 #18
Cleita Nov 2012 #8
cherish44 Nov 2012 #9
PD Turk Nov 2012 #12
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #16
PD Turk Nov 2012 #19
Shankapotomus Nov 2012 #14
Whovian Nov 2012 #15
Hamlette Nov 2012 #20
Zoeisright Nov 2012 #21
Quixote1818 Nov 2012 #23

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:46 PM

1. Not since after the Watergate hearings

I knew a bunch of old style Republicans who were so horrified and disgusted that it opened there eyes. Now Republicans could openly do what Nixon did and they'd have few if any defections and the media would support them. Look at how the media OK'd their stealing Florida for Bush II, who started out obviously and totally incompetent and became increasingly corrupt as his regime went on. Not to mention the champion of indicted administration members, St. Ronald Reagan.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:48 PM

2. Most presnt conservatism

is rooted in bigotry. It's not just a political philosophy. It's their politics, their religion, it's everything to them. That makes it a tougher nut to crack.

Reply to this post

Response to Mr.Bill (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:08 PM

10. You hit the nail on the head with this...

But we can hope that with more education of each new generation, the bigotry will diminish.

Reply to this post

Response to Mr.Bill (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:26 PM

13. of course their professed religion in no way mimics their political religion

and they have no shame in being blatantly hypocritical.

That is what throws me too, don't they feel like idiots pointing at other people when their behavior is always ten times worse. I just don't get it. How can they not see it. What is going on in their brains? How can they live with themselves.

There is something very different between the Democratic and the Republican mind, and it transcends politics.

I just can't put my finger on what it is.

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #13)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:30 PM

17. For many of them,

their religion is tainted by politics. And they get their political marching orders from the pulpit at their church, if not literally, then figuratively.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:48 PM

3. Honestly, I am seeing them dig in EVEN MORE and the outskirts are starting to slough their rightie s

But right now, it's outright NASTY. They seem like, "Well if you've won, we're going to make sure you're miserable". And they TRULY cannot discern fact from opinion.

Reply to this post

Response to LaydeeBug (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 06:14 PM

22. yes, that is exactly how they are behaving

What do we do with that?

They really should be sent to their rooms.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:49 PM

4. yes. i recently changed a couple of people's minds about charter schools. by bypassing the

mainstream story.

as long as you argue within the mainstream narrative, people's minds on either side of the aisle don't usually change by argumentation. the mainstream narrative is set up to hold people to their positions.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:50 PM

5. My sister and her husband are Republicans.

I convinced my sister to vote for Obama, which she did, but her idiot husband voted for Romney. I cannot understand why he did since he is Hispanic. My sister did not like Romney's stance on abortion.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:55 PM

6. the new-fangled movement conservatives aren't affected by truth

In fact, truth itself is anathema to modern conservatives. They want to be fooled. They like people lying to them.
Here's an article that posits the theory: http://www.thebaffler.com/past/the_long_con
It explains Romney's constant lying in a context where what we've seen actually makes sense.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:01 PM

7. nope not yet ...

while I am an optimist I am also smarter to think my talking to someone for a few seconds or minutes will change things they have believed to be so true for so long.

For normal people the first step is admitting you have a problem. For freepers they need an extra step ...

1. Turn off Fox News and Rush. Stop watching and listening to Hate.
2. Admit you have a problem.

But until they do the first step you ain't got a chance in hell to break into their world.

I just usually pray for them. I feel better and it is pisses the pooh pooh out of them.

Reply to this post

Response to kydo (Reply #7)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:15 PM

11. they need to be deprogrammed, they need to be reprogrammed with truth and facts

How do we go about that is the question?

I know I cannot do it alone, they have to take that first step.

What happens in their brains that opens a little window of opportunity? That is what I am trying to figure out...

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #11)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:40 PM

18. well the way I figure it

Mother Earth has a way of shutting these things down ... Let me try to be like Morgan Freeman and earn a freckle, and explain.

To get the freepers to take the first step ....

1. Turn off Fox News and Rush.

Since watching that propaganda most nutters already don't believe in climate change or the end of oil means no power. Eventually when climate change affects their power supply they won't be able to watch that garbage and we normal people have about a week try and plant seeds of truth in their heads.

When the power comes back some of them might be able to try step 2. Admit they have a problem.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:02 PM

8. Yes, I have when I was out canvassing in 2004, but only women

when I explained to them what the conservative agenda was for women. What's scary is that back then they weren't even into our vaginas as much as they are today. I can't think of a single woman, other than Peggy Noonan or others who are paid to support conservative policies, who would vote for any Republican in this day and age.

Usually, if you can get them to listen to facts, you can change their minds, but forget it if their minds are not open to reality and they would rather believe the fiction they have been propagandized with.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:03 PM

9. Oh yeah! I know a few conservatives who find themselves on hard times and voted D this time

because they realized that the Republicans belittle and demonize them for needing and seeking out help until they get back on their feet. Most of them have changed because something affected them personally; not because they had an intellectual epiphany though.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:25 PM

12. Yep

One of my cousins, staunch republican voter all the way back to Nixon. Hard working guy, and smart. He was smart enough to wake up in '08 and realize who was screwing him. Changed parties and voted straight Dem, did the same this election too

Reply to this post

Response to PD Turk (Reply #12)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:28 PM

16. "He was smart enough to wake up" what happened? Did he seek truth on his own?

How do we get them to take an interest in thinking for themselves?

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #16)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:46 PM

19. He spent some years in the union

He worked under union contract at his job and was even involved in union organizing efforts when he was younger. He eventually moved up into management but never forgot his union roots. After watching the repigs screw union labor for decades he just couldn't take it anymore.

He never was a big Fox noise addict so that was probably a big factor. I do know this, the key to swinging a lot of these guys is going to be economic. If they get markedly better treatment as workers under Dems, consistently, I think that's the key.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:26 PM

14. Losing nt

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:28 PM

15. Once. It was like this scene in Scanners.

&feature=colike

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:54 PM

20. I have three examples and like you, this question fascinates me.

My father, a Goldwater republican changed parties while Reagan was in office because Reagan's people started saying "we can have a limited nuclear war." My dad was in the air force during WWII and in the reserves all his life and his "real" job was working on the nuclear subs for a defense contractor. He said "BS. We have a strong defense to deter war, we never talk irresponsibly about how we could win a nuclear war or contain one." He became so liberal you would never know he was ever a republican.

John Cole of Balloon-juice blog. What did it for him was an odd little tipping point. Remember a debate in Congress about children's health benefits and a 12 year old boy talking in favor of it because he and his sister had been in a terrible car accident and they needed CHIP benefits (which they had). His dad was self employed and his mom worked part time and his family could not afford health insurance or care. The right wing went nuts, one (some?) of them went to the kid's house and peered through the window and reported that the kitchen had granite counter tops which proved they were not poor. That was the last straw for him although he was pretty well on his way over Terry Schiavo. Pissed him off.

Andrew Sullivan. Torture mostly but he was disgusted by the 2004 republican convention when people put on bandaids with purple hearts drawn on them. He ranted for days. And of course gay rights but he always knew the GOP was awful about gay rights. Torture tipped it for him, and purple hearts put him over the edge. I know many here do not like Sullivan. I'm confused as to why they forgive Huffington but not Sullivan but that is a discussion for another day. What has been interesting about Sullivan's conversion is how he still calls himself a conservative but has slowing moderated his views on things he originally hated. For instance, the health care debate. He originally said he was against it. Against Obama's plan, against any plan. Now he is one of its biggest defenders. I think he is more open minded than others.

So, the short of it is there was a tipping point where the GOP went too far for each of them. How to predict or manufacture that is unknown.

I know the one I'm going to be touting is "Fox lies. If they would lie about the polls showing Romney winning, they would lie about anything. Why would you ever watch them again?"

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 06:14 PM

21. Yes. Me.

I was brought up in a conservative household. I voted for Ford in 1976, my first election. Then I went to college, grew up, and started thinking and talking about it.

The environment was the first thing that changed my mind. I was appalled by the repuke attitude toward polluters. Then women's issues and their attitude toward the poor changed me. I voted for Anderson in 1980, then a straight Democratic ticket in every election since then.

In other words, getting out of the echo chamber of my family, learning something, and being willing to discover the truth did it.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 06:16 PM

23. I saw Mitt Romney change his mind several times a day

More to the point, how about low life Sean Hannity?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread