HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Just seen here in souther...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 03:51 PM

Just seen here in southern NM: Honda Element w/flag upside-down taped inside rear window.

Same way as that McDonald's in WV reported on here the day after the election. Did WE do that after GWB? And actually, until these 2 incidents, I'd only heard of flags at half-mast, not upside down and backwards. I think the thinking-of-themselves-as-the-most-patriotic are mishandling the flag they purport to love so much.

8 replies, 1266 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just seen here in southern NM: Honda Element w/flag upside-down taped inside rear window. (Original post)
codjh9 Nov 2012 OP
Tace Nov 2012 #1
liam_laddie Nov 2012 #2
codjh9 Nov 2012 #6
baldguy Nov 2012 #3
JaneyVee Nov 2012 #4
SickOfTheOnePct Nov 2012 #8
VPStoltz Nov 2012 #5
Nye Bevan Nov 2012 #7

Response to codjh9 (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:02 PM

1. The upside down U.S. flag is an official signal of distress

From this link:

http://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/liberty/flagdistress.htm

Why is the US Flag displayed Upside Down?

The upside down U.S. flag is an official signal of distress. It is not meant to be, and is not officially recognized as any type of disrespect when so displayed for the right reasons. To the contrary, here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:

http://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/liberty/flagdistress.htm

In short: These flags displayed upside down may, or may not, have anything to do with Obama's re-election. It is considered a legitimate display, under the right circumstances.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:03 PM

2. Inverted flag is a nautical signal of "vessel in distress."

It's an internationally recognized use of national flags. Yes, in 2000-2004, I used the inverted American flag in my car's back window to call attention to the danger that Bush43 was bringing to our country. I do believe that it was the correct call! You must have seen wingnutz using it this season. Their world, Kolob or wherever, IS in severe distress. Heh Heh...

Reply to this post

Response to liam_laddie (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:26 PM

6. Good for you on doing it back then. I just never saw anyone do it before, nor did I know it was

a 'vessel in distress' thing. But what I just saw was an angry wingnut... no problem, car going down the highway just fine.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:04 PM

3. To be fair, we did do it after GWB.

But, also to be fair - he never actually won an election either. (Yes, even in 2004.)

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:06 PM

4. Vessel in distress. I would have alerted 911, could have been a signal from inside the car.

If not it would at least make the wingnut think twice.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #4)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:31 PM

8. Think twice about what?

Expressing himself by exercising his First Amendment rights?

The display is laughable, obviously, but who cares?

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:13 PM

5. We did after Bush. It is a legitimate way to express your 1st Amendment rights.

Wearing a flag design headband is not, nor is patching your clothes with a flag nor is the use of the flag in ANY advertising of ANY kind.
In fact those wingnuts who get so pissed at "anarchists" who invert the flag are pissing in the wind as far as use goes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread