HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Just color me "diplo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 12:50 PM

Just color me "diplomatic".

I live in Texas, a hotbed of right-wingers. They are my neighbors, friends, relatives and myriad acquaintances. During the "Shrub" presidency (or lack thereof), I nearly lost a good friend over a heated political discussion. I resolved never to do so again.

My new method for disarming a potential "dust up" seems to work very well. Nearly everyone with whom I carry on a face-to-face conversation in this locale takes it for granted that I, like they, are Republicans and voted for Romney. I don't mention my support of my President; never call his name. But whenever they make some comment of derision or disgust with regard to the outcome of the election I put on my best smile and say, "I've got a great idea! During the next election, why don't you come over to my place? We can sit out on the deck with a good cup of coffee and have a great conversation. That will save us both time and gasoline by enjoying ourselves and not driving to the polls and canceling each other's vote!"

That suggestion states my position clearly, doesn't offend the other party, does put a rather puzzled look upon the other's face and, most of the time, shortens the conversation abruptly but politely. It's hard to get through a day without wanting to kill somebody (figuratively, not literally), but seventy years and the tutoring of a good wife will make a fellow seek less abrasive posture in dealing with folks.

5 replies, 500 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just color me "diplomatic". (Original post)
jamesatemple Nov 2012 OP
Arkansas Granny Nov 2012 #1
jamesatemple Nov 2012 #3
tech3149 Nov 2012 #2
jamesatemple Nov 2012 #4
tech3149 Nov 2012 #5

Response to jamesatemple (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:16 PM

1. I wonder how many people you could make that deal with before someone caught on.

Seriously, that's good advice.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Arkansas Granny (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 03:25 PM

3. Not many, I suspect, Granny.

Still, such an approach seems to mollify the situation a bit. It's just a tad easier than un-ruffling feathers.

Reply to this post

Response to jamesatemple (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:52 PM

2. Absolutely wonderful advice and you saved the best for last

"the tutoring of a good wife" I only got to spend 29 years with one of the best women on the face of the earth, but I can't count the ways she helped make me a better person.

Reply to this post

Response to tech3149 (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 03:35 PM

4. Aw, dang the luck, tech,

you made my eyes water with that very kind response. It sure takes a lot a time for a man to keep from "pulling at the bits", a lot of sayin' "I'm sorry", eatin' a bunch of "humble pie" and feasting on tons of "crow" but a good woman can finally turn a boy into a decent man. A mighty lucky man, that is.

Reply to this post

Response to jamesatemple (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 04:12 PM

5. It might be a bit late on the response, but thanks

I do consider myself a lucky man, a very lucky man since I was asked to keep her company while her husband went skiing with his current gf. I'm not sure I would yet consider myself a "decent' man, but I'm still working on it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread