HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Petraeus? Why are we sti...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:00 AM

Petraeus? Why are we still letting corporate media assholes lead the narrative in this country?

Obama just won the election.

Are we going to talk about how to really fix the debt now, the debt the Republicans are so concerned about?

Are we going to talk about anything important that needs to be done, or what happened to logic and common sense in the Republican party?

No we are going to talk about whatever bullshit the corporate media shills want to, just as it has always been.

We'll have Republicans on all the morning shows on the 'liberal' media dissing Obama tomorrow.

This bullshit has to stop, and it is all coming from the corporate controlled media.

A Democracy cannot exist without a free press.

And please, don't tell me to shut my tv off. I did that more than ten years ago. It isn't about me.

It's about millions of brainwashed Americans.

How will they unbrainwash themselves? They need to be deprogrammed and we need a truthful media to do that.

12 replies, 1098 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Petraeus? Why are we still letting corporate media assholes lead the narrative in this country? (Original post)
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 OP
madokie Nov 2012 #1
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #2
madokie Nov 2012 #9
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #10
ElboRuum Nov 2012 #3
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #4
ElboRuum Nov 2012 #8
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #11
ElboRuum Nov 2012 #12
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #5
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #6
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #7

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:04 AM

1. I've been saying this for as long as I can remember

to anyone who would pause and let me talk. We have to do something about the press or we loose our Democracy, if we haven't already

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to madokie (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:16 AM

2. thank you!

I can't understand why we are letting this continue.

They will not give us 5 minutes to celebrate Obama's victory, or talk about what just happened or what needs to be done...they are going to distract then go right back to attacking Obama.

WE cannot get complacent. Now is the time to fight!

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 02:56 PM

9. Welcome to our world here at DU

Good honest people are in demand.
Thanks for joining
Peace

Reply to this post

Response to madokie (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 03:14 PM

10. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:39 AM

3. We aren't letting them...

...they're doing it because they can. Right now, all of the media outlets are owned by a precious few corporations, and most of their programming either leans right-wing or is unabashedly firmly entrenched in the right-wing. While it would be nice to reintroduce the Fairness Doctrine, note how difficult that would be considering all the corporate money which would be used to oppose it.

We need media outlets owned by liberal individuals to establish our point of view. My feeling has always been that when the phrase "media has a liberal bias" is used, I get upset, not because it's a condemnation of the liberal viewpoint or that its just an underhanded way of saying that you can only trust the right to keep you informed, but that it just isn't true. If ONLY that were true... Since factuality these days has a distinct liberal "bias", I would LOVE the media to have a liberal bias. That way I wouldn't have to personally fact check everything the media has to say just because they aren't much interested in dealing with all of these inconvenient "liberal" facts.

And to go a step further, I think these media outlets should be large and competitive. I'd like to see a large network serve as a counterforce to all of the right-wing demagoguery, who would bring people like OWS out in front of the public where they can express their viewpoint and get it into the faces of those who have been brainwashed, without having to be "fair and balanced" and bring in the wharrrgarblers to interrupt them and smirk smugly and shout over them (Are you listening Bill Maher? Love the show, but it's always better when you don't invite foaming-at-the-mouth neocons on the show... just saying.) So long as the media is owned by conservatives, stations like MSNBC which have liberal voices and talk radio like Air America are simply token "fairness" who'll have their contracts cancelled or their stations change format the second their corporate heads see any material traction being gained. Liberal interests have to OWN some media and make it pay, if for only the reason that only when you own something can you control its direction and its message. You can reward people who challenge Fux Noisy and the right-wing-scream-machine, their Koch and Murdoch masters, rather than cancelling their shows and dismissing them over "creative differences".

Reply to this post

Response to ElboRuum (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 12:11 PM

4. Look at DU- Half of the threads are about Petraeus and whatever the corporate media leads with

This election, we did prove that social media has more influence than corporate media.

So now, we need to stop following them, and start ignoring them.

We need to lead from a position of power.

WE need to use social media to lead on issues that are important, and make the media follow us.

Stop playing into their hands.

Even the token 'fair' liberals on the corporate media all jumped on Obama after the first debate, like Romney's lies were AOK and Obama lost.

You don't win a debate by lying, and all they had to do was write up a list of debate points and explain that to people. But they are in the tank for the 1%ers too. Sorry, but they are never there when we need them and they are part of the manufacture consent.

We need to lead with the truth and real issues and make them follow.

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #4)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 02:33 PM

8. I'm unclear as to what you are agreeing/disagreeing with.

You miss my point. Social media will never convince the truly brainwashed. They have been condition to only trust messages from certain people and certain outlets. Social media only gives them yet another place where they can go to seek out like minded souls of which there are many to galvanize their point of view.

You can't single prong this effort. My point is that we need not only to avail ourselves of what new methods of communications exist, but also to reestablish a truly liberal controlled presence in the main stream. That requires ownership. We do not have this.

You seem to be barking at me a bit. I don't quite know why.

Reply to this post

Response to ElboRuum (Reply #8)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 03:38 PM

11. Social media won this election

Social media can be used to shame the corrupt bastards among us.

We are sure as hell doing a better job of spreading truth.

Of course we need to take back ownership of our media, but they have all the money, all their people in positions of power...the best we can do is expose their lack of credibility, demand the FCC revoke their license as they are not serving the public interest, and perhaps surround the TV stations and tell them how we feel about them.

They lost their power this last election, they wanted so badly to manufacture consent and it didn't work. I think we should run with that.

I don't mean to bark at you, but I witness so much learned helplessness, as if we are only observers in our own democracy.

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #11)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:37 PM

12. It's not learned helplessness...

...without retaking control of the mainstream media in this country, it IS actual helplessness by your own conjecture. Consider this.

Let's take as fact your assertion that social media in whatever form it took won this election.

Right now, at this moment, the social media does our bidding. We used it first and better and we should absolutely continue down this path and advance its efficacy.

How long before this experience will galvanize the right to use the social media in a similar way next time?

We don't own the social media by definition, so we cannot control its message. We proved its efficacy, and it is just as available to the right as it is to the left. This advantage WILL disappear over the next couple of elections, because our opponents are assholes, they are not, however, stupid.

Ultimately, we need strongholds in the mainstream media which is owned by and funded by liberal interests exclusively. We can't be successful in the long term unless we can get our message out to those who don't trust anything but what comes over traditional media outlets, the TV and the radio.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 12:44 PM

5. too much learned helplessness- how do we take back our power?

How do we become a country of active citizens, not passive observers?

Our founders would have been horrified by what we have become.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:15 PM

6. If we are the smart ones, we have to take responsibility and take action

The Republicans aren't going to magically grow a brain.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 02:12 PM

7. How do we get this to happen nationwide?

Epiphany strikes my 73-year-old republican sister while watching Fox News.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021781508

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread