HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I shutdown my Facebook ac...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:50 AM

I shutdown my Facebook account yesterday.

Finally just couldn't take the right-wing bullshit anymore. I tried unfriending some of the people who seemed to attract the more obnoxious posters. I tried even firing back with the same kind of virulent spew, (that didn't make me feel any better; I thought it would) but after Tuesday night, it ramped up to a point to where I had to just "shut that whole thing down". Plus I finally decided it is just not a good idea to have my real name out there.

When a poster told me I am an uneducated traitor because I just voted for four more years of gridlock was when I decided I needed to leave the theater.

13 replies, 1424 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply I shutdown my Facebook account yesterday. (Original post)
MindPilot Nov 2012 OP
Ninga Nov 2012 #1
MindPilot Nov 2012 #5
2Design Nov 2012 #2
LaydeeBug Nov 2012 #8
demhottie Nov 2012 #3
MindPilot Nov 2012 #9
Lokey Nov 2012 #4
Coyotl Nov 2012 #6
lindysalsagal Nov 2012 #7
vrguy Nov 2012 #12
lindysalsagal Nov 2012 #13
Alleycat Nov 2012 #10
kestrel91316 Nov 2012 #11

Response to MindPilot (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:55 AM

1. Good for you "Elvis"...i am not far behind you. Moving on, is part of the growth process

and moving on, also indicates wisdom in knowing what you can, and cannot, affect.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ninga (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:12 AM

5. Thank you.

The Internet is a wonderful thing, but more than anything else I have learned from it, is that there are waaaaaay more assholes out there than I ever imagined in my worst nightmares.

"Elvis" (that should be my new screen name, but it's probably already taken.)

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:04 AM

2. that too bad - blocking works or taking out of the newsfeed

do you have friends you do want to talk to

so far they have dropped me or taken me out of their newsfeed

Reply to this post

Response to 2Design (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:16 AM

8. ^^this^^ nt

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:06 AM

3. You can just dump some friends without shutting off altogether

I have received a single right wing or negative posting via FB because I don't have any racist friends

Reply to this post

Response to demhottie (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:20 AM

9. I tried that for a while

but my friends have right-wing friends, and by the time I would whittle it down to the few who didn't, I'm left with two people I can call, eight I can email, and one I can just walk into the next room.

And frankly, if I'm not sitting across the table from you, I have very little interest in looking at your meal.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:10 AM

4. considering it

Unfortunately most of my "friends" are repukes. And hateful ones at that. I thought about de-friending but I would be left with few other than family. I can't believe they are still crying about it--posting hateful stuff about people on welfare and going to the emergency room for a cold etc. I try not to engage in the b/s because they think differently than we do and I am not going to fix their brainwashing. I did however correct a post the other night and got personally viciously attacked. I was going to get nasty and then resort to the same tactic but it wasn't worth my energy. I opened it up this morning to the same type of crap from a different poster. Hopefully it won't last long and we can get back to posting accomplishments of our kids and sharing funny pics. Otherwise perhaps few friends are all I need on fb.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:13 AM

6. Start a new one and pick your friends this time

Sounds like you had a lot of non-friends for friends. I put up with some of this freeping from family, but that is how tolerance works.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:14 AM

7. Welcome back.

I just won't join. I see no good that can come from begging for personal affirmation online.

Reply to this post

Response to lindysalsagal (Reply #7)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:29 PM

12. Thats great!

Anyone with self esteem, can live without FB. I applaud you.

Reply to this post

Response to vrguy (Reply #12)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:45 PM

13. Lived without FB and a smart phone and the web for the first 42 years of my life just fine.

I like the interwebs but I don't want them in my pocket, and I certainly don't want to be found anywhere on it.

Get the hell out!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:20 AM

10. I am down to 42.

I have a few Rep friends but we have some other common interests that don't involve politics. I really never just friended everyone I knew and lot of my real friends & family are just not on facebook.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:49 AM

11. I have just a couple of friends/family on FB that I have shut out of my news feed. They are still FB

friends - I don't want them out of my life - but I just don't want to read their RW nonsense.

There are probably several who have quietly done the same to me, lol. But this is how ADULTS handle it. No drama.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread