HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mixed feelings on Sandy r...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:48 AM

Mixed feelings on Sandy recovery.

I feel for people who lost everything but if they want to rebuild the same way and in the same spots then to hell with them.

I have never been a fan of the Jersey Shore but if people want to go there it should be free and open. The New Jersey Shore use to be a summer retreat with open public beaches. Then the beaches became the personal property of people who chose to live there all year.

Their personal property that is maintained with public money and yet they charge exorbitant fees for access. Over the years they have also made it increasingly difficult for people to even access the water. Decreasing parking spaces, moving parking further away from the water, decreasing access points, increasing access fees, and increasing parking fees.

How ironic that these highly republican areas are AGAIN begging for federal and other public money. How ironic that the same people who for decades have been trying to deny access to the public will not be able to have full access this summer. Now they will know how it feels.

18 replies, 963 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mixed feelings on Sandy recovery. (Original post)
lalalu Nov 2012 OP
hobbit709 Nov 2012 #1
lalalu Nov 2012 #3
kelliekat44 Nov 2012 #2
lalalu Nov 2012 #4
MoonRiver Nov 2012 #17
Shagbark Hickory Nov 2012 #5
annabanana Nov 2012 #6
lalalu Nov 2012 #7
malaise Nov 2012 #9
lalalu Nov 2012 #13
malaise Nov 2012 #8
annabanana Nov 2012 #11
malaise Nov 2012 #18
alarimer Nov 2012 #10
annabanana Nov 2012 #12
lalalu Nov 2012 #14
alarimer Nov 2012 #15
lalalu Nov 2012 #16

Response to lalalu (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:51 AM

1. Anyone who builds on a barrier island is one big storm away from being wiped.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:53 AM

3. Agree

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:53 AM

2. Hey, when will the 1% seek to privatize the air we breathe?

Reply to this post

Response to kelliekat44 (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:54 AM

4. I really believe they are thinking of ways.

Reply to this post

Response to kelliekat44 (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:21 AM

17. I think clean drinking water is next on their agenda,

then air.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:05 AM

5. Removing public access to shoreline is one of my all time biggest pet peeves

But we all know whos world we're living in here.

The good news is the insurance companies will jack up rates or just stop insuring properties in the effected area so some people will be unable to afford living there...

The ban news is this won't effect the wealthy people.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:38 AM

6. excuse me

Most South Shore communities are middle to. lower-middle class places, many of which have been here since the 1700's.
I am typing this on a borrowed phone with energy from a borrowed generator from a dark, cold neighborhood of hundreds of small single story homes.

I will pen a Sandy Saga when I can.

Until then, please keep your "you're on your own" sentiments to yourself.

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:49 AM

7. Excuse me but I live in New Jersey.

I live on the Gold Coast and even in my area it has become increasingly hard for working people to afford. It was becoming more difficult and expensive for families to go to the beaches. I personally prefer state parks but I would be furious if access was cut off for me to the parks. Christie has actually been trying to privatize parks in NJ.

The Jersey Shore has for years had derogatory terms like Bennies and Shoobies for people who would visit during the summer. You like the dough they bring but hate the people. I will agree that many who purchased the homes in the last few years were people pretending to be wealthy and fleeing the diversity of the cities.

You would rather brave hurricanes and get flooded or wiped out rather than live next door to black and brown people. Well you got your wish so pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Stop begging for federal money. You act like you are entitled to it or something.

Reply to this post

Response to lalalu (Reply #7)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:53 AM

9. You who??? n/t

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:04 AM

13. Most people have no idea of how divided NJ is.

Christie has done a complete turnaround just like the people at the shore. He will need federal help and he knows it. He will also need the public workers he liked to belittle.

Prior to recent devastation due to climate change their nastiness was as huge as Christie. Privatize, demonize anything public unless it was for their benefit, keep people off "their" beaches, calling people in the north and cities a bunch of leeches while using public money for "their" beaches.

Rebuilding will not go smoothly and there will be some changes or I see a real battle looming over how the money is spent. There have already been lawsuits over this issue and the billions coming in will trigger more.This is going to turn into a real war over the rights of all people in the state.

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:51 AM

8. How are you doing?

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #8)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:01 AM

11. hi dear

It's a slow slog. We were ready to head into the attic but the water stopped rising. We finally got water we could drink and. bathe in yesterday.
Itty bitty screen rough on. the. eyes.

Will post opus when I can.

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #11)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:23 AM

18. Stay safe sis

I know the feeling of complete dislocation and I've never had to face the cold on top of every other inconvenience.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:58 AM

10. I think the government needs to actively discourage people from building in the same places.

When something like this happens, the barrier islands should be condemned and left to return to nature. People should be allowed to rebuild elsewhere, say (picking a number) 5 miles inland. I've heard of entire towns being moved because they were in the flood plain of rivers, so why can't we do the same thing here? Just move the damn towns, lock, stock, and kitchen sink.

Don't incentivize rebuilding in the same locations, though. Give people the means to rebuild elsewhere.

Reply to this post

Response to alarimer (Reply #10)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:02 AM

12. 5 miles?

Nowhere near.

Reply to this post

Response to alarimer (Reply #10)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:07 AM

14. That's too populist.

These towns have become personal fiefdoms. The very idea of letting them return to nature and become public recreation areas makes their heads spin.

New Jersey has more small towns and municipalities than the huge state of California. It is the capital of mini me towns in the United States.

Reply to this post

Response to lalalu (Reply #14)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:15 AM

15. With sea level rise, this problem will only get worse.

Especially in low-lying areas. These will be inundated constantly. You can pull a Galveston and raise everything up and build a seawall (after 1900), but it won't be enough. Look at what happened during Ike.

Reply to this post

Response to alarimer (Reply #15)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:19 AM

16. I agree and some people in NJ have been arguing this for years.

Add to this over development and destruction of natural barriers. There are 566 municipalities in NJ and over half have less than 10,000 people. There are coalitions pushing for consolidation and moving some towns. Hurricane Sandy may accomplish this but it will be a battle even after this devastation.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread