HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Nate Silver, Election’s ‘...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:53 PM

Nate Silver, Election’s ‘Other’ Winner, Contemplates Life As A Celebrity - AP/WaPo

Spoils of victory: Nate Silver, election’s ‘other’ winner, contemplates life as a celebrity
By Associated Press/WaPo
Updated: Friday, November 9, 11:33 AM

<snip>

NEW YORK — The other night, Nate Silver got a little taste of what things are going to be like for him, post-Election 2012.

The 34-year-old statistician, unabashed numbers geek, author and creator of the much-read FiveThirtyEight blog at The New York Times had gone out for a drink with friends on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. But he couldn’t stay incognito; Immediately, he says, people sitting at the bar recognized him.

He was surprised, but probably shouldn’t have been. After all, for 24 hours, ever since his election forecasts had proved uncannily successful — he correctly predicted the presidential winner in all 50 states, and almost all the Senate races — he’d been hailed as the election’s “other winner,” who’d silenced doubters and proven the value of a cool-headed, math-based approach.

That very night, he’d appeared on Jon Stewart’s “The Daily Show” for the second time in three weeks. “Don’t you want to stand up and say, ‘I am Nate Silver, bow down to me!!’” Stewart roared, as the bespectacled Silver sat and chuckled. His name was trending on Twitter and he was the subject of a satirical Twitter hashtag, “Drunk Nate Silver.” The Hollywood Reporter said he’d “made statistics sexy again.” Many called his story a real-life “Revenge of the Nerds” tale.

And oh, his new book had soared to No. 2 on Amazon, after he linked to it on Twitter an hour after the first network call for President Barack Obama. (”This is probably a good time to link to my book,” he’d tweeted at 12:13 a.m. — the closest he came to gloating.)

Even so, Silver says he wasn’t quite prepared for that incident in the bar.

“It’s odd,” he said Thursday in a telephone interview from his Brooklyn home. “Is this going to happen every day, as opposed to once a month? I still have to get accustomed to this.”

Silver, who uses computer models that he runs on a beat-up laptop at home...

<snip>

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/spoils-of-victory-nate-silver-elections-other-winner-contemplates-life-as-a-celebrity/2012/11/09/57054150-2aa4-11e2-aaa5-ac786110c486_story.html

5 replies, 817 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nate Silver, Election’s ‘Other’ Winner, Contemplates Life As A Celebrity - AP/WaPo (Original post)
WillyT Nov 2012 OP
WillyT Nov 2012 #1
WillyT Nov 2012 #2
WillyT Nov 2012 #3
nilram Nov 2012 #4
outsideworld Nov 2012 #5

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 05:07 PM

1. Oh... And...

His father, political science professor Brian Silver, attributes his son’s success to a two-pronged drive: “He’s driven by a need to get the answers to a problem, but he also is very concerned with the narrative, with telling the story,” said the elder Silver, who teaches at Michigan State University.

The father recalls his son at 2 years old, already revealing himself as a prodigy with numbers — his mother asked him to count to three, and he went to 20. By four, he understood negative numbers, and could multiply in his head.

Needless to say he was a math whiz, but he also was a debating champion, winning competitions in high school. “On the debate team, it was OK to be a geek,” Brian Silver explained. Nate then went off to the University of Chicago, where he earned a degree in economics.

Same as OP.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 07:33 PM

2. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to WillyT (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:17 PM

3. Last Kick From Me...

Reply to this post