HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » CEO lays off employees he...

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 03:11 PM

CEO lays off employees he forced to attend Romney rally.

For the chairman and chief executive of Murray Energy, an Ohio-based coal company, the reelection of President Obama was no cause for celebration. It was a time for prayer – and layoffs.

Robert E. Murray read a prayer to a group of company staff members on the day after the election, lamenting the direction of the country and asking: “Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corp. for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build.”

On Wednesday, Murray also laid off 54 people at American Coal, one of his subsidiary companies, and 102 at Utah American Energy, blaming a “war on coal” by the administration of President Barack Obama.”

Murray Energy is the country’s largest privately owned coal mining company, with about 3,000 employees producing about 30 million tons of bituminous coal a year, according to its Web site.

The company was the subject of an article in the New Republic that said the company had forced miners to attend a Romney campaign speech in southeastern Ohio in August. Murray denied the account. The New Republic also reported that Murray Energy employees have given more than $1.4 million to Republican candidates for federal office since 2007.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/after-obama-re-election-ceo-reads-prayer-to-staff-announces-layoffs/2012/11/09/e9bca204-2a63-11e2-bab2-eda299503684_story.html

9 replies, 1046 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to RandySF (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 03:16 PM

1. Mr. Murray is however, recruiting for a "food taster". No clue what that is, but I'd be ...

... reluctant to work for him in any case.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 03:21 PM

2. He is just all kinds of suck

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 03:21 PM

3. It's time for a revival of the American labor movement

We need to push back against these bastards, hard!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 03:58 PM

4. ughhhhhhh

why doesn't he spend the $1.4M on his employees?!?!?!?!? instead of trying to gain favor with politicians to let him continue polluting and run unsafe conditions?!?!?!?!

To the miners who got laid off: I am so sorry for this bad news. But maybe this is a blessing for you to go find new opportunities and get out from under this tyrant. Best wishes.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:25 PM

5. Would love to see the rest of his labor force unionize and strike, shutting down his operation.

Then how much money would he lose?

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:28 PM

6. Just another case of

greedy assholes who care nothing for their employees...sickening.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:29 PM

7. If I were one of those employees I'd be contacting my local ACLU office asap.

There are so many things wrong with this asswipe I don't know where to begin.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:32 PM

8. It's just so evil to play with people's lives like this

These people have children who won't have much of a Christmas. They'll end up on food stamps and all those things Republicans hate. The families will suffer. And he thinks it's a funny way to get back at the country for his guy losing an election. He needs to grow up.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:53 PM

9. People need to march on his door and bring the fight to him

absolute non-violence and absolutely no intimidation.

But this man believes he is king. He needs to know how an angry public responds to a king. In a nation of laws where he has nothing to fear physically, of course.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread