HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » About that horserace we w...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:21 AM

About that horserace we were duped with.

It was unnerving enough to have to hear that from people I supposedly trusted (some MSNBC pundits in particular). My stomach tightened whenever I heard them say it was so close and so possible for Romney to be the next President. I felt sick at times, literally, physically sick.

And I'm not American, and have proper health care. I really have no worries like that compared to millions of you.

What do you think a parent in the US, with a sick child that can now have treatment under ACA, what do you think that parent was going through believing all this horserace shit and thinking of their sick child if Romney won?

I can't even imagine how to go there because it was bad enough for me without any of those real and awful threats.

So this is what I am thinking about mostly when I flay those assholes and their acting careers. They are all dead to me now because they weren't thinking of anyone but themselves and that nice spotlight they acquired, with a nice salary, and really nice health insurance, and a nice home in a safe place.

Shame on you. How many people did you drive into terror and fear with your unprofessional and careless ways?

30 replies, 1884 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply About that horserace we were duped with. (Original post)
Whisp Nov 2012 OP
99Forever Nov 2012 #1
ScreamingMeemie Nov 2012 #2
spanone Nov 2012 #3
randome Nov 2012 #4
leveymg Nov 2012 #5
aaaaaa5a Nov 2012 #6
Whisp Nov 2012 #12
deutsey Nov 2012 #17
Egalitarian Thug Nov 2012 #7
Greybnk48 Nov 2012 #8
stopbush Nov 2012 #9
sandyshoes17 Nov 2012 #10
stopbush Nov 2012 #11
TheKentuckian Nov 2012 #13
Johonny Nov 2012 #14
William Seger Nov 2012 #15
Whisp Nov 2012 #16
William Seger Nov 2012 #27
Whisp Nov 2012 #28
William Seger Nov 2012 #29
Whisp Nov 2012 #30
nobodyspecial Nov 2012 #18
Whisp Nov 2012 #19
Jamaal510 Nov 2012 #20
Whisp Nov 2012 #25
Arugula Latte Nov 2012 #21
flamingdem Nov 2012 #22
coalition_unwilling Nov 2012 #23
NNN0LHI Nov 2012 #24
MrScorpio Nov 2012 #26

Response to Whisp (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:28 AM

1. I couldn't agree more.

Across the board, there isn't one real news organization that has one ounce of credibility. They have insulted the intelligence of all of us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:29 AM

2. Ratings trump reality every time.

(heehehe...I said "trump.")

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:30 AM

3. the media is shameless.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:33 AM

4. Relax. Not everyone was duped.

Broadcast news -even that of liberal pundits- hasn't been of much use for a long time. News is freely available -commercial free- on the Internet.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:37 AM

5. The penalty for pundit malpractice and election information fraud is . . . nothing.

Any pundit who insisted the system was rigged by both political parties and the major media to create the false impression of a horse race wouldn't still be a pundit. (S)he would be branded a Conspiracy Theorist and fired.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:40 AM

6. This is why we have DU

There were more facts and objective information on this supposedly "left leaning site" than what you could find on any MSM news organization.

Reply to this post

Response to aaaaaa5a (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:57 AM

12. This is what calmed me down - this thread by John Lucas.

I stumbled upon it long after it was originally posted - a few days before election. And it was like a heavy stone removed from my chest. It was wonderful to hear logic. Why is logic such a rare commodity to those clowns on the tv?

so you are right, it was DU that made more sense that those over paid jokers at MSNBC.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251130631

I generally know better than to fully believe anyone whose mouth opens and closes with alphabets coming out of them if they are on tv - but stressful times make you weakened and I did get sucked in to it. Before all this I really liked and trusted some on MSNBC.

I don't think it should be 'listener beware' all the time. Something has to be done, we can't all be their prey all the time.

I wish one of them would have the integrity to address this but I put those odds at 1 to 100 they won't because to them, it's just the nature of the beast. It's fun, it's ad revenue.

and it's Sick.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #12)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:34 AM

17. Nate Silver, Princeton, et al. helped me to sleep well on Monday night

I was also surprised at how anxiety-free I was all day Tuesday.

I wasn't without concern, but I wasn't panicking. I believed there was certainly a chance that there were flaws in these analyses, but I just couldn't believe that these pollsters could all be so deeply wrong while all the hacks and windbags on TV could be so right.

The former were driven by analyzing the data and reporting what they found...the latter were driven by controversy, ratings, spin, and partisanship.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:45 AM

7. Went exactly as predicted. There were a few of us that tried to calm people down

months ago. It is, was, and is always the media. We are a nation drugged into a mindless stupor by our addiction to television. We passively do and believe whatever it tells us to do or believe. Not every single person, of course, but an overwhelming majority. I thought the rise and total conditioning of Faux News would clue people in, but I was wrong.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:48 AM

8. Every time that music kicked in on MSNBC early election night

I could hardly breathe I was so afraid. My fear was all based on the media and their childish coverage. Even Rachel began saying it was really, really close ( she's my standard). Most of the night was anxiety ridden and awful, and I don't have a sick child.

Shame on them.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:52 AM

9. The fact is that all that $ that gets spent on the presidential campaigns ends up

in the coffers of the media, mostly the TV networks.

It is in their financial best interest to promote a horse race. Otherwise, the $ would dry up quickly. Imagine how much $ wouldn't get spent if the media started reporting in the summer that Obama was headed for the landslide victory he achieved. The donors would stop donating and the PACS & parties would stop spending.

The media's feasting at the teat of political spending is the ugly little secret of American presidential elections.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:53 AM

10. But I have to ask

If R/R were really ahead in the polls would they be doing the same thing? I'm not so sure. It always seems to be done to prop up a repub. who haven't had high approval ratings in years.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 09:56 AM

11. Last week's shiny new media object was "what if Obama wins the EC but Rmoney wins the PV?"

That was coupled with "could it be President Rmoney/VP Biden???!!"

I switched channels whenever those idiocies were brought up.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:12 AM

13. Somebody posted yesterday that something like 58% of Democrats trust the mainstream media

That means most of us are led around by the nose about as much as the Faux nitwits.

There is also a frog in boiling water thing that accepts "new normals", even Maddow isn't news. She is a pundit, a very good one, a very smart one, and one that does some digging but news in the mainstream media is essentially extinct other than weather and sports.
The only tough questions are for coaches and the only investigative engine is entertainment powered.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:19 AM

14. sometimes Secretariat wins by 31 lengths

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:28 AM

15. Proving once again that hindsight is 20/20

Seriously, you think people like Rachel Maddow "knew" but just weren't telling us the truth?

Reply to this post

Response to William Seger (Reply #15)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:20 AM

16. msnbc wanted the ad revenue right to the finish

and they got it

they will always get it

Yes, they knew. All of them. It's a game to them.

Are you calling them Stupid? No, I'm not calling them stupid (altho I may have here and there) I'm calling them fearmongering selfish assholes.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #16)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 02:31 PM

27. "Yes, they knew. All of them."

I want one of those crystal balls.

Reply to this post

Response to William Seger (Reply #27)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 03:04 PM

28. she knew too

It's one of those unspoken things. I don't think they get hauled into the bosses office and told what they can say or what they can't. They figure it out on their own.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #28)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:31 PM

29. These days, it's hard to be too cynical

... but some people around here seem to be willing to go that extra mile. I have to stop short of attributing psychic powers to anyone.

Reply to this post

Response to William Seger (Reply #29)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:34 PM

30. that's the way media rolls, man

that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, especially here.

we get as suckered in as those fools at Fox, but with finer personalities.

same game all over

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:37 AM

18. I'm not going to complain

That fear drove the outcome to historic results.

Reply to this post

Response to nobodyspecial (Reply #18)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:43 PM

19. I think the GOP voter suppression threats were the motivators

not the idiots on the msm.

I'm still thinking of parents and people who had so much at stake with the well being, life and death of their loved ones and Obamacare, and how they must have felt.

That was shameful, no running around the edges and making excuses - that was shameful. They (the msm) didn't even think of that effect, I bet you that. Or didn't care.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 01:02 PM

20. The least they could've did was to simply give us the polling

without their personal horserace spin. Yes, we know a significant number of voters are clowns who will vote against their fiscal interests. You don't need to keep repeating that. And what annoyed me was that they always showed the national polling, even though elections are determined by the electoral college. Yes Obama ultimately won the popular vote as well, but that is not how our elections are determined.
Another thing the media did that I disagreed with was calling the 1st debate a "win" for Romney, even though the fact-checkers caught him in more lies. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I thought a person wins a debate based on things called facts, not telling tall tales. Every media network was guilty of this, even MSNBC and Current.

Reply to this post

Response to Jamaal510 (Reply #20)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 01:33 PM

25. the first debate: that's what tipped me off that they are all Hacks.

how preposterous to think the guy that lied for an hour and a half straight was the 'winner' in their stupid, rheumy eyes.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 01:04 PM

21. Those media charlatans really pushed the national polling-"very close!" theme

which was really a useless way of looking at election prospects. Of course the media knew it, but millions didn't.

I'd always hear about Gallup, Gallup, Gallup, even though they are working with techniques left over from the Eisenhower administration.

I felt sick, breathless and queasy all day long on Tuesday because I was afraid of election theft, not true election loss.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 01:07 PM

22. I totally agree, they were all doing it including Rachel

Why didn't someone just focus on the electoral vote rather than push the it's tied!1!1 meme.

Rev. Al might have been the only one who refused. Also our Martin Bashir, the rest weakened and bought in for some reason, and it did make me watch more teevee bullshit

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 01:07 PM

23. It was not terror and fear in my case, but my wife and I were considering

moving to Canada in the event of a Romney 'win'. Would have meant uprooting our lives here and basically saying goodbye to a lot of beautiful California geography and great melting-pot diversity. We had not made the final decision, but it was being actively considered.

Good post, btw. Points up the very real human consequences of the media's appeasement of the 1%.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 01:42 PM

26. I wasn't duped

Even with MSNBC I picked and chose what voices to believe and which ones to dismiss.

The ones that I believed turned out to be one the money.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread