HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Advocating blue state sec...

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:20 PM

Advocating blue state secession makes us no better than THEM. In fact, it makes us worse...

Even joking about it shows a shortsightedness that puts us in their league... True humor is rooted in irony, which is rooted in reality.

Is THIS the reality you want?

When one says this nation is "divided", I wonder if they realize that it's TRULY divided. Divided into THREE pieces, and the center piece stretches from the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border. So, let's say what you're joking about actually becomes reality...

When the people in what we now consider the "fly-over states" realize your reason for seceding from the Union is hatred of them, here's what they'll do, and rightly so:

They'll decide their airspace should be restricted. NO flights from blue states in the east to the West Coast will travel through their airspace. They'll decide their portions of interstate highways should be restricted. No vehicles with blue license plates shall travel from east to west, without a HUGE tax, IF at all. That means the ONLY ground route from the northeast to the west coast will be through Canada. That means the ONLY air routes from the blue states in the east to those in the west will be either over Canada or the Gulf of Mexico and Central America. How much do you think that will cost in not only time but OIL? Oil? Let's consider where the OIL will come from...

Find the blue states on the following list of oil producers...
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/ene_pet_pro-energy-oil-production
Find the blue states on the following list of natural gas producers...
http://www.eia.gov/neic/experts/natgastop10.htm
Find the blue states on the following list of wind energy producers...
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/ene_win_ene_ele_pro-energy-wind-electricity-production
Find the blue states on the following list of solar energy producers...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_the_United_States#Availability
Find the blue states on the following list of nuclear power producers...

The ONLY way this nation survives is TOGETHER. I don't grok what's so hard to understand about that.

19 replies, 1365 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Advocating blue state secession makes us no better than THEM. In fact, it makes us worse... (Original post)
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 OP
aletier_v Nov 2012 #1
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 #10
quinnox Nov 2012 #2
theKed Nov 2012 #4
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 #6
Matariki Nov 2012 #3
pinboy3niner Nov 2012 #5
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 #7
doc03 Nov 2012 #8
Politicalboi Nov 2012 #9
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 #13
Angry Dragon Nov 2012 #11
pinboy3niner Nov 2012 #15
Zorra Nov 2012 #12
cherokeeprogressive Nov 2012 #14
Zorra Nov 2012 #18
discharge Nov 2012 #16
LineNew Reply I
discharge Nov 2012 #17
davidn3600 Nov 2012 #19

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:23 PM

1. True progressives want to get away from oil, not chase after it

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to aletier_v (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:34 PM

10. What you're saying is that "true progressives" want to step back about 150 years...

It'll take fossil fuels to get to a place where renewable energy can be used to create mechanisms to create renewable energy.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:23 PM

2. not to mention we would have batshit crazy barbarians on our borders

constantly, trying to take over our beautiful blue states by force. That is my principle objection to the idea.

Reply to this post

Response to quinnox (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:25 PM

4. Oh cmon

Canada's not that bad!

Reply to this post

Response to theKed (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:29 PM

6. Think about how much money they'll want for blue state commerce...

I know what I'm posting about has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but there seems to be a large group of DUers who think it's possible for blue states to separate themselves from red states for the purpose of political purity.

I find that comparable to thinking that snowballs can separate themselves from the warmth of the Sun.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:24 PM

3. Viva Cascadia

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:29 PM

5. Oh, lighten up. We just figure it's the only way...

...to finally get the Muppets on our currency.

Reply to this post

Response to pinboy3niner (Reply #5)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:31 PM

7. Which denomination do you think they'll pick for Big Bird when the time comes?

I'm thinking it'll be the $75,000 dollar bill.

That'll probably buy a Snickers Bar.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:33 PM

8. How about just shutting off all federal aid to the

red states after all they are the real takers.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:33 PM

9. They would have to buy

Those highways again since the US paid for them with tax dollars. They would need to make their own money, get their own military, and pay higher food taxes for shipped items. Then I would love for Mexico to try and take it all back without US military to help them. LOL!

Reply to this post

Response to Politicalboi (Reply #9)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:40 PM

13. That's about the funniest thing I've heard in a long time...

If they choose NOT to buy them since the "US" paid for them, what will the blue states do, take them back?

Google which states have the largest concentration of military installations... You're saying the blue states will take military hardware from red states BEFORE seceding?

You should also google which states produce the most food.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:35 PM

11. I did not know that 'grok' was a word

the things you learn on DU

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #11)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:42 PM

15. Google it + Heinlein. :) nt

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:36 PM

12. Those are minor obstacles that we could easily overcome, and the benefits of not

ever having to deal with the ignorance, stupidity, greed, selfishness, heartlessness, maliciousness, bigotry, hatred, and violence of conservatives would far outweigh any of those minor logistical problems.

Reply to this post

Response to Zorra (Reply #12)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:42 PM

14. Progressives who live in "red" states notwithstanding of course... right? Abandon them?

Minor obstacles? Shirley, you jest.

Reply to this post

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #14)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:52 PM

18. Life is full of tough choices.

You could leave and build a rapidly evolving compassionate new world, or you could stay, and deal with devolving back to the dark ages. Your choice.

I live in a red state. Seriously, I'd pack up and leave lickety split without a second thought for Washington or Oregon faster than you could say "bye" if I could live the rest of my life never having to deal with conservatives and their malicious insanity. I'd even live in a tent if I had to.

That would be paradise.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:43 PM

16. region 3

I would like region 3 to secede. I realise we are called, ''fly-over'' and that's cool because 2 brothers from Ohio were the first ones to fly anyway.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:52 PM

17. I

Realise all the cool hip new people come from the coasts, but most memorable Americans with substance come from region 3. Eugene Debs first comes to mind. Glad you're not living in the dark? Thank Ohio native Thomas Edison let's thank Ann Arbor Michigan for producing the first punk rock band, The Stooges. Rustbelt 4 life.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:08 AM

19. Some dont think civilization will make it past 2030

The MIT study shows we are on pace for a 2030 global collapse. They base this on human consumption of resources, population growth, and economic factors.

The UN is projecting a population north of 10 billion by 2050. Right now we are at 7 billion. So we will end up having to find a way to feed, take care of, and provide energy for an additional 3 billion people within the next 35-40 years.

Eventually something has to give. And MIT's computers project that 2030 is where things will start to fall apart unless drastic changes are made that reduces our dependence of non-renewable resources and fix our economic problems. Right now we are not on a sustainable path. If we keep the status quo, we are not going to make it. Whether it is in 2030, 2050, or 2100. At some point we are going to collapse. And Im talking about the world, not just America.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread