HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I was just watching these...

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:44 PM

I was just watching these Right wingers (pro lifers) talk about there views on

abortion. I believe (if not mistaken) that most of these people believe in the Death Penalty, so how do they justify that?

11 replies, 848 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply I was just watching these Right wingers (pro lifers) talk about there views on (Original post)
teddy51 Nov 2012 OP
Permanut Nov 2012 #1
peace13 Nov 2012 #2
indivisibleman Nov 2012 #3
patrice Nov 2012 #6
coalition_unwilling Nov 2012 #7
txdemsftw Nov 2012 #4
lunasun Nov 2012 #8
patrice Nov 2012 #5
jeff47 Nov 2012 #9
Honeycombe8 Nov 2012 #10
treestar Nov 2012 #11

Response to teddy51 (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:47 PM

1. They were also gung ho for killing Iraqi women and children.

The term "pro-life" is a disgusting Orwellism. Everybody I know is pro-life, these people are anti-choice.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:50 PM

2. They also kill doctors.

Every life is sacred.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:57 PM

3. Here is how.

They believe that the death penalty is an act of justice. So if they don't support the death penalty they stand in the way of justice for the lawbreaker.
They believe abortion is an act of murder. So if they support abortion they support murder.
Pro-life only holds for their position on abortion and does not translate for them when it comes to capital punishment. So when we say they cannot be pro-life since they support the death penalty it doesn't mean anything to them. They just see such accusations as wordplay. They are pro-justice when they support the death penalty and it has nothing to do with their stance on abortion.
At least that is how I understand it.

Reply to this post

Response to indivisibleman (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:16 PM

6. I agree strongly on "wordplay"!! Anything that's a problem or contradiction or indicates their

hypocrisy, to them, is wordplay.

It's as though nothing means anything at all in and of itself, unless (if and when) they ALONE say it does or doesn't. They are very godlike in this.

Reply to this post

Response to indivisibleman (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:18 PM

7. Good attempt to understand and demystify their positions. I prefer a theological take -

the fetus is 'without sin' and thus 'innocent,' whereas someone who has committed first degree murder has violated one of the 10 Commandments ('Thou Shalt Not Kill'), has sinned and is thus 'guilty' (not 'innocent').

It's all bullshit and crazy-making (Mother Nature manages to terminate some 50% of all fertilized eggs without any human intervention, regardless of the guilt or innocence of the fetus, IIRC from Biology and Genetics), but if you accept the quasi-theolgoical premises, it has a sort of twisted logic. It also conveniently elides various theological notions such as pre-destination vs. free will.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 09:58 PM

4. They only care about the unborn fetus..

once they are born...they don't give a flying f*ck!

Reply to this post

Response to txdemsftw (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:35 PM

8. Yes , defenders of non breathers only - anyone breathing is on their own

and if they get the death penalty for a crime or die in war oh well
They are pro- non breathers only -they are not pacifists

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:09 PM

5. Their reasoning devolves around assumptions about "innocence" and "guilt". Fetuses,

being the most innocent and the least powerful, rate the the most effort and resources in their defense.

Criminals are assumed to have chosen in many ways to be criminals, or at least not to have resisted evil influences, and the only way for that to change is by means of punishment, either as an object lesson to miscreants or to those around them whom we are to assume would follow the same path if they don't learn about negative consequences.

It is assumed that there are clearly definable lines when it comes to the differences between behavioral choices and the responsibility of other influences, evil and good influences, so I/you/we have no part in anyone else's guilty "choices". Whatever, however much, we have to do with the circumstances that lead to bad behavioral choices, those choices are still entirely free choices, a matter of will toward evil intended by the persons making those "choices" and we have no responsibility in that, or at least none that matters.

All of that is an extension of the assumption that if you "get away with it" it's okay, so if you didn't "get away with it", that's because it wasn't okay and we shouldn't interfere with this law of the universe.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:49 PM

9. There's a lot of folks here trying to explain

But I think their error is they're assuming these people actually are pro-life.

They don't give a shit about life. Or fetuses. What they care about is keeping women in their place. Abortion is a "get out of jail free" card as far as they're concerned.

So the reason it doesn't appear rational is they're lying about their reasons.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:50 PM

10. I see the difference. You don't? nt

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:31 PM

11. They claim the fetuses to be innocent

whereas those subject to the death penalty have been convicted of murder.

But it is true they care more about life before birth than after.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread