HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "We have met the ene...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:38 PM

"We have met the enemy and they are us" - Freepers Lament

As Freepers begin to analyze their loss, some gems appear among the horse dung being flung at each other:

Lots of silly responses here. Itís not about the demographics, itís not about sluts and nuts (they vote Dim no matter what), and itís not about Candy Crowley or media bias. We lost because Romney could not inspire REPUBLICANS to get out and vote for him. Fewer votes than McInsane? Humiliating. We have met the enemy and they are us. Next time we should nominate a limited government freedom-loving conservative. For now, though, we have the President we deserve.

Gave this a lot of thought overnight and came to the following conclusion:

It is very difficult to unseat an incumbent President, even one whoís a miserable failure. To do this you have to give people someone and something to vote for, we did not offer that. Instead what we offered was a reason and permission to vote against Barack Obama. That was not enough to unseat him. I believe all the other excuses/reasons fall under this one.

I donít think the 47% can really be reached, as such. A good many of them are there by circumstance, and only temporarily. Not all are Democrats. I think we are making a mistake in assuming that this result was about the Democrats, or handouts, or even about Obama. This loss is because Republicans stayed home. Romney didnít get as many votes as McCain, yet those people didnít vote for Obama, and they didnít disappear. Obamaís support fell a great deal from 2008, but Romney didnít win over any, and didnít get his own base. They stayed home.

Take the wife to that fancy restaurant for dinner and the kids to Disneyland - give them memories to cherish, because the country we know is done.

6 replies, 763 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply "We have met the enemy and they are us" - Freepers Lament (Original post)
ksoze Nov 2012 OP
closeupready Nov 2012 #1
calico1 Nov 2012 #2
LiberalLoner Nov 2012 #3
Liberal1975 Nov 2012 #4
gollygee Nov 2012 #5
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #6

Response to ksoze (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:40 PM

1. And the Oscar for Drama Queen goes to ...

Someone on that board, I'm sure.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:42 PM

2. Sluts and nuts.

Reply to this post

Response to calico1 (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:46 PM

3. What respect they show for women!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:48 PM

4. I actually agree with the second post...

Except for the "miserable failure part" of course. It is hard to unseat a President and you DO need more than vitriol to do it. Fact is they ran on "hate Obama" just like we ran on "hate Bush" in 04, and unlike Obama he really was a miserable failure! Still couldn't do it though. Kerry was just a guy who wasn't Bush. It's never enough.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:49 PM

5. So women who want access to health care and contraception are sluts?

See, GOP. That there? That's why you lost.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 05:35 PM

6. No, that was Pogo - and long ago.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread