HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If the worst had happened...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:31 PM

If the worst had happened and the Mittster had stolen it, what were your plans?

Mrs GoS swore to me that she could no longer live here.

"Sell the house, take our savings and buy a small place in France down in Provence. Do a B&B thing there. I won't be able to stay, when evil people are running the country. And no, it's just not worth it. I'm too tired of fighting and it's bad for my health and my mind."

So, I'm 65. She's 53. No kids. One 16 year old cat. Nothing really holding us here. I would not have been overly pleased to move yet again, as it would have been my third major move. In the 70's I moved to England and moved back here in 1980, so I know I could do it. But not really wanting to on a forced call basis.

But he didn't win and now we have the chance to put this country back together again, again. To paraphrase what Dylan Moran said about Americans - Republicans are like the worst room mate you've ever had. "Oh man, I'm sorry, I like broke all your stuff. I'll fix it.....Someday."

15 replies, 741 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply If the worst had happened and the Mittster had stolen it, what were your plans? (Original post)
GoneOffShore Nov 2012 OP
Common Sense Party Nov 2012 #1
GoneOffShore Nov 2012 #4
WinkyDink Nov 2012 #9
JI7 Nov 2012 #15
Scuba Nov 2012 #2
fleur-de-lisa Nov 2012 #3
Laurian Nov 2012 #5
PD Turk Nov 2012 #6
Agnosticsherbet Nov 2012 #7
Harry_Scrote Nov 2012 #8
mitchtv Nov 2012 #10
dembotoz Nov 2012 #11
Blue Meany Nov 2012 #12
LeftyMom Nov 2012 #13
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #14

Response to GoneOffShore (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:33 PM

1. Why didn't he steal it?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Common Sense Party (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:36 PM

4. Because too many of us were watching.

Thank those who called in every suppression attempt.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:41 PM

9. That was to be the role of Florida and probably Ohio. Nevada and Colorado foiled those plans.

Do you not know of long lines, changed polling hours, the attempt to allow only military to vote in Ohio on 11/03 and 11/04, illegal insistence on provisional ballots, illegal insistence on ID where none was required, attempts at voter intimidation by "True the Vote," trashed Democratic registration forms, and upcoming investigations?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 05:37 PM

15. they probaby did steal some votes or prevent some from voting, but Obama did well enough

to even overcome that.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:34 PM

2. To stay here and fight back.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:34 PM

3. After rioting for several weeks, I would have seriously considered moving . . .

My adult daughter lives in Germany. She's been bugging me to visit. And they have a really great state-sponsored health care program!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:37 PM

5. I would not leave. I have a lot of close family here who are really important

to me. My plan was to just detach from the political discussions and concentrate my remaining retirement on other interests and pursuits.

Whether or not I could follow through on that plan is another question. I suspect that after a brief respite, I'd be right back in there, fighting the demons.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:38 PM

6. To keep om keepin' on

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that if I could live through Reagan and 2 Bushes, I'd manage to slog through 4 years of Rmoney's inept shit somehow. Yeah, I'm not as young as I used to be but I'm still pretty tough for an old buzzard

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:38 PM

7. Can't afford to leave...

So I would just hunker down and wait for the next election.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:39 PM

8. The Scrote

...can't afford to think of an alternate to the life plan I currently live. I'm a lowly retail worker and an occasional temp so I've got no savings, and thus no travel to other countries, to speak of. The only choice I would have faced would be staying and fighting the good fight right here.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:44 PM

10. I wish I could say I had options

We're an older gay couple , partner in mid 70's,Partner is on O2 FOR 24/7.sadly, we are stuck. Our passports are current and we have the means to flee if we have to ,We could buy donuts for resistants, tho. I'd head to Costa Rica if I had a choice.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:47 PM

11. anticipated that as roe v wade lost and the crazies won

that i would work underground in any way possible to continue
access
if that meant jail or prison so be it.

scott walker has regained the wisconsin senate
so this fight might not be over

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:51 PM

12. Well, I'm married to a Canadian and we live near the border. We will probably retire to

Canada unless we get single-payer health care here, because otherwise it's not affordable. It's always been in the back of our minds that we could move, if we had to, but there are conservative forces in Canada, too, that are trying to moving things backwards.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:52 PM

13. Pack up and move to France?

Yeah, not in the budget.

I didn't have a plan. The President's been a raging wingnut for most of my life, and life trudged shittily on.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 05:32 PM

14. Simple. I'd fly my tattered and worn 9-11 flag upside down for four years, 24x7.

It's a small gesture, but it's significant. My regular flag has been up since just before daybreak. My signs are still out. All of the rMoney signs have been removed. We won big time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread