HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Looking ahead.....

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:38 AM

Looking ahead.....

.. I think we Democrats need to pay significantly more attention to state legislative elections. I've been looking over the landscape in my home state, where Repugs built a veto-proof majority in both houses of our lege. A neighboring state has had a dysfunctional Democratic minority for a long time, and in Arkansas, GOP gained control of both houses for the first time since Reconstruction. From Texas and Oklahoma to Georgia, Florida and South Carolina, state legislatures are pretty much dominated by Repugs. It frightens me.

This is where the GOP has launched their biggest battles in their war on women. This is where they launch their campaigns of intolerance. This is where the Todd Akinses and Richard Mourdock-types get their start. These state houses are esssentially the farm team for future national leaders. This is where Barack Obama got his start in politics, and it's where the next Barack Obama might be found. And I think we're neglecting that part of our system.

I know there are groups within the party structure that promote the state-level campaigns, but we don't hear enough about them. They're not getting enough attention and support. And if we don't reverse that, we could face catastrophic losses in the years ahead. Right-wingers like ALEC, Club For Growth, the Koch brothers, and others are pouring mega$$ into funding the GOP state legislative efforts, and I fear that we aren't countering them. So my question to DU is this: How do we do a better job at supporting the state legislative campaigns? Am I off-base here? Missing something important? I would like to see some thoughts from my fellow DUers who can help us go in the right direction for the future of our party.

1 replies, 182 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Looking ahead..... (Original post)
lastlib Nov 2012 OP
lastlib Nov 2012 #1

Response to lastlib (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 10:49 AM

1. kicking this....nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread