HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My future daughter-in-law...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 05:47 PM

My future daughter-in-law called from Brick, NJ and they finally got power. She is a nurse and

worked a 36 hour shift, son works for Verizon and was sent home the first day, now working 12 hour shifts. They had some limbs fall but that's about it. They went into Manasquan as far as they could get and the devestation was so bad, she started to cry and they left. Boats sitting in the roadway, our old restaurant and bar is damaged from water, have no idea what all was lost. Manasquan is between Pt. Pleasant and Sea Girt/Spring Lake. Porches were taken off of beachfront homes. I doubt they will be able to re-build and zoning will be changed. The insurance companies are no longer going to pay to rebuild on these places and I think that's a good thing. So glad they now have power and heat.

10 replies, 1213 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply My future daughter-in-law called from Brick, NJ and they finally got power. She is a nurse and (Original post)
monmouth Nov 2012 OP
uppityperson Nov 2012 #1
monmouth Nov 2012 #2
liberalmuse Nov 2012 #3
LiberalEsto Nov 2012 #4
a la izquierda Nov 2012 #5
monmouth Nov 2012 #8
malaise Nov 2012 #6
countryjake Nov 2012 #7
Edweird Nov 2012 #9
monmouth Nov 2012 #10

Response to monmouth (Original post)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 05:53 PM

1. 36 hour nurse shift? Oh man, I hope she gets some well earned rest and thanks for her service.

Looking at photos online,

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to uppityperson (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 05:57 PM

2. She often does doubles so this is no biggie for her. I'd be out for days..LOL..n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 06:05 PM

3. Nurses are amazing.

I know so many who work long hours and just don't quit. Doctors, too. Well, most public servants, if truth be told. I have the greatest respect for those who spend their lives in service to others.

I'm so sorry. I just hope that one day soon things will start getting back to "normal". It's good to hear that more and more people are getting back their utilities. Those are HUGE basics that people need so they can begin to digest all this and start to picking up the pieces and healing. There will be a lot of rebuilding. I think it's lovely that some of those who survived NOLA are sending messages of hope and courage to those going through what they did.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 06:20 PM

4. I'm glad they are okay and have power.

The photos of the damage along the Jersey shore are mind-boggling.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 06:36 PM

5. My sister lives in Brick, and she got power a few hours ago too.

She's 8 1/2 months pregnant. Luckily my mom is close by, so they slept there with the kids at night.

Reply to this post

Response to a la izquierda (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 07:05 PM

8. Yeah, DIL said the candles and stuff were fun for the first night but it was all getting very old

by today. Coffee seemed to be the big there (LOL), she's cooking a big meal for the first time in ages.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 06:37 PM

6. Glad they are OK

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 07:02 PM

7. Good to hear that things have improved slightly for some.

The devastation stretches so far inland, the breadth of this storm was unimaginable! I just hope that those homes which weren't actually flooded or totally destroyed will all be seeing the lights come back on very soon.

The cold front that is barreling down on the East right now has the potential of delivering even more tragedy to so many who only had their power knocked out...the number of trees down from Sandy is an astronomical number, and now even the Forest Service has been called to aid in removing them, so power companies can get the lines back up. That Nor'easter is only going to compound the misery for too many.

I hope that your family remains safe and sound thru all of this!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 07:26 PM

9. We are replacing a broken pole in Brick tomorrow.

We've been all around and there is definitely some serious damage. Jersey Central is doing a good job of convincing us that they don't give a shit. They don't have a handle on things. There's a nor'easter coming next week and that's probably going to mess everything up again. I was working outside the hospital bearing your screen name yesterday... We are doing the best we can with what we have to work with within the limitations set by Jersey Central. There is more and more help coming every day. Alabama power rolled in today loaded for bear.

Reply to this post

Response to Edweird (Reply #9)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 07:32 AM

10. Thank you for all that you are doing, the incoming help is so appreciated..n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread