HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My rebuttal to claim obam...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:08 AM

My rebuttal to claim obama "had two years of total control with the Senate and House"

Last edited Sat Oct 27, 2012, 11:08 PM - Edit history (4)

My local newspaper endorsed Obama for president. Yippee! But the more exciting part though: the right wing crap "BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! LIBERAL MEDIA!" blaring all across the comments, including this one in particular:

After reading this, all I can say is that the MN editorial board must be living in a different world than I am.. The Republicans as obstructionists. My God, he had two years of total control with the Senate and House solidly Democratic. The republicans couldn't have stopped him even if they tried. He could have taken that opportunity to build his vision, but didn't. Only thing we got was Obamacare, whose affects could be catastrophic in the next few years.

I just felt COMPELLED to post this rebuttal:

" The republicans couldn't have stopped him even if they tried."

Actually:
- Robert Draper revealed this meeting among some congressional Republicans on Inauguration Night, in his new book "Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the US House of Representatives", as the guardian summarized: "During a lengthy discussion, the senior GOP members worked out a plan to repeatedly block Obama over the coming four years to try to ensure he would not be re-elected." (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/26/democrats-gop-plot-obstruct-obama)
- Since the 2006 Democratic sweep of Congress, cloture votes to stop minority party member's filibusters nearly doubled (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/05/22/149696/congress-isnt-just-stalemated.html).
- Because of Republican senators' filibuster (aided by some Democrats as well) these bills never made it out of the Senate: a bill that "would have ended tax deductions for expenses incurred when companies shutter U.S. operations and shift the work abroad" (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/28/AR2010092802768.html), a jobs bill proposed by the President in fall 2011 (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/27/596751/gdp-jobs-act/), and the DISCLOSE Act that would require more transparency of who's behind Super PACs (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/17/gop-kills-disclose-act-and-leaves-voters-in-the-dark.html).
- The NY Times reported on 8/18: "President Obama is set to end his term with dozens fewer lower-court appointments than both Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush achieved in their first four years..." (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/us/politics/obama-lags-on-filling-seats-in-the-judiciary.html?pagewanted=all) According to the American Constitution Society, after the Senate blocked Obama federal judge nominee Robert Bacharach, it was "the first time that a judicial nominee reported by the Judiciary Committee with bipartisan support has been blocked on the Senate floor." (http://www.acslaw.org/acsblog/in-blocking-tenth-circuit-nominee-senate-republicans-set-new-record-for-obstruction)

The evidence is clear that Republicans in Congress have acted in an obstructionist manner, even blocking regular judicial nominations!

The newspaper website uses Facebook comment system. So please click into the comment link and vote "LIKE" on my comment!

(update) Now I can't see the original comment from my end when logged in Facebook. I guess I embarrassed the comment poster enough to get blocked or something.

(update 2) looks like the commenter DELETED her comment!

17 replies, 3013 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply My rebuttal to claim obama "had two years of total control with the Senate and House" (Original post)
alp227 Oct 2012 OP
ffr Oct 2012 #1
alp227 Oct 2012 #2
Tx4obama Oct 2012 #3
former-republican Oct 2012 #4
ProudProgressiveNow Oct 2012 #5
ProudProgressiveNow Oct 2012 #6
Tx4obama Oct 2012 #8
ProudProgressiveNow Oct 2012 #10
AverageJoe90 Oct 2012 #7
freshwest Nov 2012 #16
Tx4obama Nov 2012 #17
LTR Oct 2012 #9
Cha Oct 2012 #11
freshwest Oct 2012 #12
SleeplessinSoCal Oct 2012 #13
JaneQPublic Oct 2012 #14
eomer Oct 2012 #15

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:14 AM

1. Awesome rebuttal! Can't find this in comments. Link?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ffr (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:15 AM

2. Click "this one in particular" in my post. You might have to scroll to the comments section

to read the original comment + my response (search Robert Draper to jump to my comment, I can't do permalink for my specific comment)

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:20 AM

3. Here ya go ...

Last edited Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:54 AM - Edit history (1)

We didn't have a majority in congress for two years - more like TWO MONTHS

The meme that the “Democrats had control of the House and Senate” is a myth and here’s why: people keep forgetting that you need 60 to have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

January 20, 2009 – Edward Kennedy suffered a seizure during Barack Obama's inaugural luncheon, and his health forced him to retreat to Massachusetts. Also, Senator Al Franken of Minnesota had not been seated because the previous Senator, Norm Coleman challenged the election results. So on his inauguration Obama had 57 elected Democratic Senators… 55 Democrats and 2 Independents.

April 28, 2009 – Arlan Specter switches parties from Republican to Democratic. This gives the Democrats 58… 56 seated Democrats, 2 Independents. Al Franken still hasn’t been sworn in and Kennedy is sick. Still no 60 member majority.

May 15, 2009 – Senator Robert Byrd is admitted to the hospital reducing the number of Democratic votes to 57… 55 Democrats, 2 Independents.

July 7, 2009 – Senator Al Franken is sworn in bringing the Democratic votes back up to 58… 56 sitting Democrats, 2 Independents. No Senator Kennedy or Byrd due to illness.

July 21, 2009 – Senator Byrd Returns to the Senate making the count 59 seats – Still no Kennedy.

August 25, 2009 – Senator Kennedy dies and the seat remains vacant (for one full month) until…

September 24, 2009 – Interim Senator Paul Kirk is sworn in to fill Kennedy’s seat bringing the total Democratic votes to a filibuster proof majority of 60.

Remember to subtract the time/weeks (which total over a month) for the Senate's fall recess, Thanksgiving break, Christmas/NewYears break, etc.

February 4, 2010 - Scott Brown (R-MA) is sworn in taking over Senator Kennedy's seat.

So really the Democrats only had a little more than two months (total time when Senate was in session) of a majority in the Senate – not 2 years (even less when you consider that Senator Lieberman sided with the Republicans most of the time). Because they didn’t have a majority, nothing could be automatically pushed through the Senate and concessions had to be made on the healthcare legislation in order for the bill to pass.

Reply to this post

Response to Tx4obama (Reply #3)

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:39 AM

4. that's a good rundown

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:39 AM

5. Good one. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:40 AM

6. Mind if I turn this into a video!

Give you credit.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudProgressiveNow (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:45 AM

8. I lifted most of it from the comment on the link below...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021292150#post94

I would guess that poster would not mind and I do not either - since what is posted is FACTS

Reply to this post

Response to Tx4obama (Reply #8)

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 02:07 AM

10. Will do. Thanks. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:44 AM

7. You R awesome, thanx. =D

Last edited Sat Oct 27, 2012, 04:20 AM - Edit history (2)

This'll be great for when I have to deal with some right-wing bullshit artist who spews this "Obama had dis majoritee fer 2 yeers!" crap. There's a lot of them on HuffPo........

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 05:46 PM

16. Tired of the willful ignorance on this. Thanks, alp227 and Tx4obama.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #16)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 06:47 PM

17. Here's a good link below to keep handy

President Obama DID NOT control Congress for Two Years!

Here: http://www.thepragmaticpundit.com/2011/12/obama-did-not-control-congress-for-two.html

The page/link above is a GREAT page to bookmark.
It pretty much has all the things that I've been typing out the past couple of years, but it includes a full timeline, photos, and a chart

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 02:06 AM

9. All great responses

To a really stupid talking point.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 02:14 AM

11. Thanks alp! You are a Gem! Bookmarking..it's not just a rw

talking point.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 02:45 AM

12. Thank you for dispelling that pervasive rightwing myth. Bet the wingnuts are fleeing your comment.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 03:18 AM

13. After reading about fake facebook accounts for Republican ops, I'm wondering

how many women posting are actually men with a fake account..... Seems awfully young guy-like.

(I liked your comment, btw)

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 04:54 AM

14. Lots of good info in this thread

Thanks to all who shared.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 08:40 AM

15. Mostly true but you repeat a myth that seems to be inevitable on DU.

You are right about Republicans obstructing every single thing they can and also right about most of the things you list as things that they were able to obstruct.

However, the persistent myth that you repeat is that the Republicans were able to obstruct everything. The truth is that the Republicans could not obstruct anything that could fit under the rules of the budget reconciliation process. This process cannot be filibustered, so it requires the votes of only 50 Senators, plus the VP.

Among the things that fit under the reconciliation rules is changing tax rates, deductions, and other revenue-related aspects of the tax code. So the item you listed about deductions that reward companies for offshoring - that could have been changed under the reconciliation process with just 50 votes in the Senate. Another important change to the tax code - making the middle class tax cuts permanent while allowing the cuts for the wealthy to expire - could have been done through reconciliation. Also adding a transaction tax on financial trades could have been done under reconciliation.

If on the off chance we end up with a simple majority in both houses in 2013/2014 maybe I should then start a new OP every day to point out this fact and put pressure (from the left) on Democrats to seize the tools that are available, like Republicans always do, and get done the things that are doable instead of posturing behind false excuses. We missed a great opportunity in 2009/2010 and I hope we won't do the same the next time it presents itself.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread