HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Top backer of MN gay marr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:15 PM

Top backer of MN gay marriage ban delivers speech in front of giant photo of Hitler

Pastor backing marriage amendment apologizes for Nazi reference
by Baird Helgeson

The director of church outreach for the group backing the marriage amendment apologized Wednesday for connecting tactics of the opposition to Adolf Hitler in Nazi Germany.

snip

“We’re not saying that one side or the other is equal to Adolf Hitler and the atrocities that were committed in Nazi Germany,” Brandon said during a presentation in Brainerd that included a huge picture of the German ruler. “What we are simply saying is that when a totalitarian dictator takes place and wants to suppress the voice of a group…. they use certain tactics.”

When first told of the events Monday, Andy Parrish, deputy campaign manager for Minnesota for Marriage, immediately apologized and said that the comments were not the message of the campaign.

Minnesotans United noted, however, that Chuck Darrell, communications director for the other campaign, was at an earlier event in Woodbury and took questions after the Nazi references. The program was virtually unchanged days later in Brainerd.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/175672801.html

For those outside of Minnesota, Minnesotans for Marriage is not just some obscure hate group this is the primary organization pushing the gay marriage ban that Minnesotans will vote on and hopefully defeat in November.

Minnesotans for Marriage is extremely close with the Republican Party of Minnesota, this is the type of crap that the modern day Republican Party has been trying to make mainstream.

11 replies, 970 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Top backer of MN gay marriage ban delivers speech in front of giant photo of Hitler (Original post)
Bjorn Against Oct 2012 OP
RKP5637 Oct 2012 #1
TreasonousBastard Oct 2012 #2
Initech Oct 2012 #3
JI7 Oct 2012 #4
Bjorn Against Oct 2012 #5
sarisataka Oct 2012 #6
MineralMan Oct 2012 #7
Bjorn Against Oct 2012 #9
MineralMan Oct 2012 #11
AntiFascist Oct 2012 #8
Oilwellian Oct 2012 #10

Response to Bjorn Against (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:23 PM

1. Frankly, the republican party of today resembles more and more a

totalitarian regime of the past. The same people exist today as during Hitler's time, they just have different organizational names today. Too many Americans are so woefully naive.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:37 PM

2. WTF? This is a somewhat mainstream organization...

using a picture of Hitler?

HITLER ferchrissakes!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:57 PM

3. Nazi tourettes kicking in again?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:58 PM

4. Didn't Hitler go after Gays ? i thought it was meant to show his connection to Hitler

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:05 PM

5. Yes, Hitler killed many gay people in the Holocaust

Which of course makes the efforts of Minnesota for Marriage to compare gays to Hitler even more offensive, and yes, ironic.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:11 PM

6. And he totally misses the irony

Brandon said during a presentation in Brainerd that included a huge picture of the German ruler. “What we are simply saying is that when a totalitarian dictator takes place and wants to suppress the voice of a group…. they use certain tactics.”
<snip>
“My recent public comments that religious liberty is frequently the first casualty of those who seek to impose a political agenda are being taken out of context and used by opponents of marriage to make me, and our campaign to preserve marriage, seem to be extreme,” Brandon said in his apology. “I never stated or meant to imply that those who oppose …. the marriage protection amendment, are somehow equivalent to the Nazis who targeted communities of faith to suppress their voice, often through murder.”

The proposed Amendment has nothing to do with suppressing religious liberty but has a lot to do with creating a legal class of "lesser citizens"

My wife asked why I changed, since I was not previously in favor of 'gay marriage.' I explained I have my own religious and moral beliefs but they apply to ME. I can think what I like on an issue but I will not sit idly by while any group tries to institutionalize discrimination. I swore to "bear true faith and allegiance" to the Constitution and I do not recall there being an expiration clause. Said Constitution has a lot to say about equality therefore I have become a vehement Vote No advocate.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:14 PM

7. Fortunately, this crap was exposed before the election.

Minnesotans for Marriage has been exposed for the bigoted organization that it is. That will not go unnoticed here. It's another nail in the coffin of this vile Constitution amendment proposal. It's already on its way to failure, and this will help cement that failure.

This is being heavily covered in the local news today. Everyone will know about it. It will not help the Yes Vote campaign. Not in any way. Minnesotans are rational people. I predict that this amendment will be defeated on November 6.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:35 PM

9. I certainly think there is a good chance it will be defeated, but it is going to be close

The polls on this issue have been very close but if people get out to vote there is a good chance this can be defeated. The voter ID amendment has also gotten close in the polls as support has been eroding rapidly as people have learned more about it, that is going to be a very close vote as well but we do have a real shot at defeating both amendments so I hope everyone gets out to vote.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:04 PM

11. I think the people who skip voting on those amendments

will be the deciding factor. If you don't vote, it's the same as a no vote. That's on our side. Lots of people vote just for candidates and leave the rest blank. I'm counting on that in 2012, too. It's a pattern.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:26 PM

8. The irony is...

this pastor, not unlike the Catholic Church, would have been among the early supporters of Hitler, before the Holocaust.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:03 PM

10. For a moment, I thought of this guy

An election year already notable for its menagerie of extreme and unusual candidates can add another one: Rich Iott, the Republican nominee for Congress from Ohio's 9th District, and a Tea Party favorite, who for years donned a German Waffen SS uniform and participated in Nazi re-enactments.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/10/why-is-this-gop-house-candidate-dressed-as-a-nazi/64319/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread