HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » U.N. report calls for dec...

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:24 PM

U.N. report calls for decriminalizing prostitution

BANGKOK — Thailand and New Zealand sound like the best places for prostitutes in Asia and the South Pacific, because they don’t face the repressive laws that exist in the rest of the region, according to a new U.N. report that calls for the decriminalization of the voluntary sex trade.

The worst countries to be caught possessing a condom while appearing to work as a prostitute include China, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.

In those countries, an unused condom can be used as evidence that a person is an illegal sex worker.

Renting bodies for money in Asia also involves niche demographics.

On the Indian subcontinent, for example, so-called “flying” sex workers are people, such as students, who work part time.

Organizations focusing on prostitution, HIV/AIDS and related legal problems discussed these and other issues at a recent meeting in Bangkok, where they discussed the U.N. study “Sex Work and the Law in Asia and the Pacific.”

“Nearly all countries of Asia and the Pacific criminalize some aspects of sex work, … criminalization increases vulnerability to HIV,” said Cherie Hart, a spokeswoman for the U.N. Development Program (UNDP), describing the dangers of contracting the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS).

The report called for the decriminalization of prostitution because it found “no evidence from countries of Asia and the Pacific” that outlawing the sex trade has prevented HIV epidemics among sex workers and their clients.

New Zealand and Australia’s New South Wales province are models of how decriminalization of prostitution boosted condom use and slowed the spread of HIV, resulting in “extremely low or nonexistent” transmission of sexual diseases among prostitutes, said the report.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/24/un-report-calls-decriminalizing-prostitution/

12 replies, 1163 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply U.N. report calls for decriminalizing prostitution (Original post)
davidn3600 Oct 2012 OP
jenw2 Oct 2012 #1
davidn3600 Oct 2012 #2
4th law of robotics Oct 2012 #6
LadyHawkAZ Oct 2012 #8
Bradical79 Oct 2012 #11
Motown_Johnny Oct 2012 #3
LadyHawkAZ Oct 2012 #4
4th law of robotics Oct 2012 #5
davidn3600 Oct 2012 #7
WinkyDink Oct 2012 #9
4th law of robotics Oct 2012 #10
Vidar Oct 2012 #12

Response to davidn3600 (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:26 PM

1. Never tought the UN would be so anit-women

Legalize it and you'll have a lot more human trafficking.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jenw2 (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:03 PM

2. They are saying that there is a difference between voluntary and involuntary prostitution

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:17 PM

6. You have nothing to back that statement up

frankly if the whole process is illegal anyway what stops those involved from breaking more laws?

It's like if you want to ensure only those over 21 can drink do you ban all alcohol and hope those selling it illegally decide to ask for ID or do you legalize it and require a license to operate that can be lost if they do not check ID first?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:47 PM

8. Germany experienced a drop after legalization

The numbers in New Zealand remained stable after legalization, German police have reported greater ease in identifying traffickers in a legal environment as well. What's not to like?

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:38 AM

11. I'm not seeing the link between decriminalization and human trafficking.

If anything, shouldn't decriminalization make it easier to fight human trafficking? I would think that taking away the threat of prosecution for the prostitute would make her more likely to go to authorities if she has been forced into this line of work.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:10 PM

3. I'm against legalized prostitution in the U.S. but....

since in some of these poorer countries these girls and women are virtual slaves, if not literal slaves, the hard truth is that legalizing and regulating the industry would be an improvement for them.

I hate saying that. I feel that prostitution has been a way to subjugate women throughout history and I am against that type of power being available. Unfortunately it may be necessary to bring this into the light before others can see it, understand it and eventually reject it.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:15 PM

4. I'd be doing the happy dance

if I thought this would actually go anywhere, but since I doubt it will I'll wait on the celebrations. Trafficking and criminalization are billion-dollar industries, and it's going to take more than a U.N. report to bring them down.

Still, it's a step in the right direction, and good to see.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:15 PM

5. Good

Criminalizing normal human behavior that is not inherently harmful to anyone is idiotic and only makes things worse.

They need regulations, oversight, worker protections, etc.

Not to be driven in to the back alleys.

We tried that with abortion, it simply meant that those involved face jail time and significant health risks.

We tried that with alcohol consumption, it caused murders and poisonings to skyrocket.

We tried that with pot and . . . well no that one has been a smashing success and has reduced crime and made us all safer and freer.

Reply to this post

Response to 4th law of robotics (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:34 PM

7. I've always found it funny on that COPS show...

They got SWAT team and a dozen cops on a single sting operation to catch either johns or prostitutes. And they talk as if they're catching big criminals. But usually its just some random man or woman that happens to fall in their trap. If you are going to bust people for prostitution, concentrate on the traffickers. That's where the real harm is being done.

Personally, I dont care what two consenting adults choose to do in their bedrooms. There are far more serious crimes out there to dedicate resources to than people's private sexual adventures.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:49 PM

9. Maybe the U.N. could do more about the little girls who are sex slaves, literally.

Reply to this post

Response to WinkyDink (Reply #9)

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:05 AM

10. Keeping prostitution illegal apparently is doing nothing to address that

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 07:32 PM

12. Glad the UN is still progressive. Too bad about the US.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread