HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I got pulled over yesterd...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:44 AM

I got pulled over yesterday by an Indiana State Troop on I-80

I was doing 65 (I know for it a fact thats how fast I was going) but he claimed I was doing 76. He pulled me over at 5:05 and the ticket says 5:15 but he did not let me go until 5:45. He asked me 3 or 4 times if I ever lived in New York (I've lived in Illinois my entire life) and were I was coming from and he also asked me for my social security number, which I gave him. He was pretty rude and I felt like he was trying his hardest to find some reason to arrest me. He then almost threw the ticket at me and said just drive the speed limit and walked away. He didn't tell me how much the ticket was for or say have a nice day or anything like that. He then followed me for about 6 miles and got off at the same exit I did and only stop following me when I turned down my girlfriends street. I feel like I was harassed and wanted to know what everyone else thought. Both by girlfriend and her mom were in the car and both agree I was not doing 76 and that there were people around me passing me. I feel like the whole reason he pulled me over is because I drive a Red Kia Optima and had out of state plates. I'm not going to fight the ticket because it could end up costing me more and I really don't have the time but I think I am going to file a complaint against the officer, even though I doubt it will go anywhere. I've always been a live and let live kind of guy with the police but this has really shaken my faith in whether or not, at least when it comes to Indiana State Troopers, they want to protect people or are just looking for revenue and ticket numbers.

33 replies, 2819 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 33 replies Author Time Post
Reply I got pulled over yesterday by an Indiana State Troop on I-80 (Original post)
Drale Oct 2012 OP
jorno67 Oct 2012 #1
Drale Oct 2012 #3
Flashmann Oct 2012 #4
snooper2 Oct 2012 #8
grammiepammie Oct 2012 #2
appleannie1 Oct 2012 #5
safeinOhio Oct 2012 #6
FSogol Oct 2012 #7
WilliamPitt Oct 2012 #9
DefenseLawyer Oct 2012 #10
Drale Oct 2012 #16
TuxedoKat Oct 2012 #11
yellowcanine Oct 2012 #12
Drale Oct 2012 #13
yellowcanine Oct 2012 #18
Chiyo-chichi Oct 2012 #14
Drale Oct 2012 #17
B Calm Oct 2012 #21
Drale Oct 2012 #22
B Calm Oct 2012 #24
Drale Oct 2012 #27
riderinthestorm Oct 2012 #15
B Calm Oct 2012 #19
yellowcanine Oct 2012 #20
agtcovert Oct 2012 #23
datasuspect Oct 2012 #25
Drale Oct 2012 #28
datasuspect Oct 2012 #29
hifiguy Oct 2012 #26
B Calm Oct 2012 #30
HopeHoops Oct 2012 #31
Ikonoklast Oct 2012 #32
Mr Dixon Oct 2012 #33

Response to Drale (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:48 AM

1. is there something about the Red KIA Optima I don't know?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jorno67 (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:50 AM

3. No but its red and the police pick on people who drive red cars. /nt

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:51 AM

4. is there something about the Red KIA Optima I don't know?

Like an Obama bumper sticker,perchance??......

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:55 AM

8. It's top speed is 72 mph

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:49 AM

2. I believe you.

Try driving in Pennsylvania (Pennsatucky) area. I was originally from Pennsylvania, moved to Massachusetts years ago and each time I visit family in Pennsylvania, always stopped by a police car. Once, going four miles over the speed limit. My children do not want to visit Pennsylvania because of this. They target out of state cars as they know you will not come back to fight it. Just a shame.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:52 AM

5. File the complaint. In the least, it will go in his file.

If others file complaints against him at a later date or have already filed complaints against him, it could prevent him from being promoted or could show precident if someone has a physical case against him. He was probably looking for a drug arrest. I live a mile from I-80 and know it is the route of choice for drug runners between New York and Chicago. There are frequent arrests for it.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:54 AM

6. Complaints do work.

If the brass get enough on a single cop, they act.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:54 AM

7. Officer Eddie: (reading Drale's license) Well well, Drale, from New York City.

Officer Lou: I heard some guy got killed in New York City and they never solved the case. But you wouldn't know anything about that now, would you, Drale?
(Lou and Eddie laugh)
Drale: But there are hundreds of unsolved murders in New York City.
Officer Lou: You don't know when to keep your mouth shut, do you, Drale?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:56 AM

9. File a complaint.

Not an excuse, but cops also have bad days, get into shitty moods, and take it out on others like the rest of us will unfortunately do from time to time.

Not an excuse. File a complaint. Give him another reason to be in a bad mood.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:58 AM

10. It's about drugs, not ticket revenue.

They target out of state vehicles when they think you might be a drug courier. If he kept you there for 40 minutes and asked specific questions about New York or other things, either he pulled you over based on some specific tip and thought you were that person or he was fishing for you to say something to confirm his suspicion that you were a drug courier. (Don't take that personally, he starts out with that suspicion about everyone he pulls over). Eventually when it was obvious that you weren't what he at hoped he wrote you a ticket and left. I'm sure he was pissed because he missed out on a big score.

Reply to this post

Response to DefenseLawyer (Reply #10)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:08 PM

16. And the "War on Drugs" strikes again I guess

When he saw that I had no violations and had no record what so ever, he should have let me go. While we were sitting there I watched someone switch lanes without looking and almost hit a semi and although its hard to tell when your sitting still, I can guarantee people who were passing us were doing more then 55. He was profiling me because I was from out of state and that is just as wrong as pulling someone over because they are black.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:01 PM

11. Won't

just paying the ticket give you points and raise your insurance rates? If you plead not guilty, you can probably call the prosecutor and ask him to downgrade the ticket to a non-moving violation with no points. This is what my lawyer friend advises me to do and has worked with the few tickets I've recieved in the past. Actually I got a ticket in late August, filed not guilty and have yet to hear back from the court so I don't even know what's going on with it. Maybe they lost it or had so many tickets they just don't pursue all of them in court.

File the complaint after you get the ticket downgraded if you do go ahead with this. Good luck.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:03 PM

12. I could be wrong but I don't believe you have to give a SS# to the highway patrol.

Not sure it is ok for them to ask for it either. I guess I would at the least ask why it is necessary. On a traffic stop you are required to show operator's license, vehicle registration and in some states, proof of insurance. Nothing else should be needed.

Reply to this post

Response to yellowcanine (Reply #12)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:05 PM

13. I didn't think so either but

it was the first time I ever got pulled over and I was on the verge of an anxiety attack and I really didn't want to cause more trouble at that point.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #13)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:13 PM

18. I would at least file a query with the Indiana State Police.

This officer might have been off the reservation on this. I would also consider going back and contesting the ticket. At the least you could ask for documentation of the radar gun certification and the officer's certification to operate the radar gun. You might get lucky and one or the other had lapsed. It happens. Or the officer might not show up, in which case you would be home free as well.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:05 PM

14. Maybe somebody with a similar name/car/or physicial description had outstanding warrants

or was being sought in connection with some crime.

It is unusual for them to
--ask for your SSN
--to repeatedly ask if you ever lived in NY
--and to keep you for half an hour even if you were going a few mph over the limit and even if you are from out of state. What was the posted limit? 65?

And he was likely following you to see if you'd get nervous and bolt.

Maybe you should fight the ticket.

Reply to this post

Response to Chiyo-chichi (Reply #14)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:12 PM

17. The speed limit was 55

although on much of 80 especially the section near my house in Illinois its 65. I was doing 65 but he lied and claimed I was doing 76 which is a huge difference in fine. 65 its 125 dollars 76 20-29 miles over the speed limit is 295. Once he typed my SSN number and saw that I was clean he should have let me go but he didn't he spent another 20 minutes trying to find something to arrest me on. They can't follow you like that its harassment. I know that for a fact. If he had just been behind me on the expressway I could have written it off but he followed me off the expressway about 4 miles right up to my girlfriends street. My girlfriend wanted me to stop so she could ask him if he needed something but I refused to stop.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #17)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:22 PM

21. What lane were you in?

If your on that stretch of I-80/94 from the Illinois line to just past I-65 the speed limit is 55, but no one does the speed limit! If you were in the middle lane or slow lane your argument could be, I was just going with the flow of traffic!

If you are going to speed, try staying out of left lanes as much as possible. By being out there it draws more attention to you.

Reply to this post

Response to B Calm (Reply #21)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:24 PM

22. That is exactly were I was

I had just gotten off 65 but I was in the middle lane and no one was in the left lane and no one was behind me.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #22)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:32 PM

24. Yep, I go through there everyday. It's

a bullshit speed limit, and they do write a hell of lot tickets everyday through there. Yesterday there were two of them parked under the I-65 get on ramp on the I-80/94 west bound side.

Reply to this post

Response to B Calm (Reply #24)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:35 PM

27. We were in Merrillville and my girlfriend told me we should just take Lincoln Highway back

but I said no 80 will be faster, I should have listened to her.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:07 PM

15. Out of state speeding tickets are very lucrative because they know you won't go back to contest it

It won't be worth the hassle.

(don't ask me how I know this. .... )

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:14 PM

19. Trust this old truck driver,

don't file a complaint, take it to traffic court! A lot of times the officer won't show up and you'll automatically win your case. If you show up with a witness, that will be a huge factor in your favor. A couple weeks before your court date, call the county clerk and ask for an extension. The clerk will give you another month. The reason you want to do this, is so that the ticket still isn't fresh on the officers mind and maybe he'll forget a lot of details of what transpired that day. Also by moving the traffic court date back, chances are even better the officer won't be there! You'd be surprise how many people beat traffic tickets! You don't want this speeding ticket on your driving record, your insurance rates will sky rocket!

or: You can also pay double the fine and the points will stay off your record. This only applies to people driving 4 wheelers. .

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:20 PM

20. Another reason to go to traffic court is that you might get "probation before judgment"

Particularly if you do not have any other citations and also some judges are impressed that you came from a distance to fight the ticket. You would still pay the fine but there would be no points assessed - which is very important in terms of insurance rates. I was actually told by a state trooper to do this one time when I got stopped.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:27 PM

23. I live in Indiana...

I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop back in June. He scanned my license and printed a ticket off of a gadget on his belt. I was rolling again in under 5 minutes. It'd probably been 7-8 years since I'd been stopped/gotten a ticket, and usually you can talk to them about it, but there was no negotiation or anything. They have no idea what you pay for a ticket, and they don't care. It's revenue generation, plain and simple. Then they extort you -- you can pay a bit more and keep the points off your license. The worst part is I see these guys every day and they cause more safety issues by pulling people over in the middle of rush hour than they solve by pulling someone over going 65 in a 55.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:33 PM

25. are you black or latino?

drive an older car?

Reply to this post

Response to datasuspect (Reply #25)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:36 PM

28. Nope Ghostly White

and I drive a band new car

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #28)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 PM

29. illinois plates?

that can do it sometimes too.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:35 PM

26. The surest way for a Minnesotan to get stopped by a

Smokey is to drive across the border into Wisconsin more than a mile or two. Apparently driving with Minnesota plates in the Badger State has been some grievous violation of WI law for the last thirty years or so.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:40 PM

30. Did he show you your clocked speed

on his radar gun? When they shoot you, your speed is locked in. But if he didn't show you on his radar how fast you were going, it's your word against his and you have two witness's!

Also you can ask the judge for documentation on the last time his radar gun was calculated for accuracy. If the officer has no records in court, you probably will win the case.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:44 PM

31. File a complaint. That's just wrong.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:45 PM

32. Fight it. Request a court date. Meanwhile,

Subpoena the maintenance and calibration records of the speed detection device, the training records of the officer on using that particular piece of equipment, the records and certification of the person that trained the officer in the use of the device, the daily record of how that particular unit was calibrated prior to the officer coming on shift.

File for as many delays as possible, in writing, by certified mail, return receipt requested.

It isn't that difficult to do. Make them prove their case, admit to nothing.

Guarantee you that they have lost, misplaced, or never filed or fept up-to-date at least one of those pieces of paper.

See:http://www.c1spublishing.com/tickets/beatspeedingticketsebook.html

Spending a little money up front beats having your insurance rates skyrocket and stay high for years to come.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:09 PM

33. SMH

Happened to me also, discourages me from travel which Iím sure is the point. Not going to say DWB but I would not be surprised.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread