HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Krugman: An Issue (China'...

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:27 AM

Krugman: An Issue (China's currency manipulation) Whose Time Has Passed

Chinese currency manipulation may come up in tonight’s debate — and as someone who wanted the US to take a tougher line back in 2010, I guess I should weigh in.

Basically, as Ezra Klein says, this is an issue whose time has passed.

In 2010 an undervalued renminbi was a significant drag on advanced economies, including the United States. Since then, however, two big things have happened: relatively high inflation in China, and some appreciation of the renminbi against the dollar. As a result, the real exchange rate of China against the United States (based on consumer prices), has appreciated significantly:

At the same time. China’s surplus has come way down:

So this is an odd time to be making confrontation over China’s currency a centerpiece of your economic policy — unless, of course, it’s just bluster aimed at making voters think you’re tough.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/22/an-issue-whose-time-has-passed/

Once again romney is beating a dead horse. He obviously thinks there is political mileage to gain this and he may be right, but facts are not on his side.

"On day one, I will label a currency manipulator, which allows us to apply tariffs where they’re taking jobs..."

0 replies, 301 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread