HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NPR Sets Straight All Tho...

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:53 AM

NPR Sets Straight All Those Silly People Who Thought Unemployment Was the Country's Biggest Problem

Almost five years after the start of the recession we still have close to 25 million people who are unemployed, underemployed, or who have given up work altogether. Given that this is ruining the lives of millions of workers and their children we might think that this is the country's most important problem. Fortunately, we have National Public Radio (NPR) to set us straight.

NPR presented a segment this morning that is largely based on the views of Nariman Behravesh, the chief economist of the forecasting firm IHS Global Insight and author of Spin-Free Economics: A No-Nonsense, Nonpartisan Guide to Today's Global Economic Debates. The last part of the segment told listeners:

"But going forward, America's role in the world will be largely shaped by how well Congress handles the budget deficit problems in coming months, he said. As other countries, especially in Europe, grapple with the problem of too much government debt, people around the world are looking to the United States for moral leadership...If the United States shows that it's possible for democracies to discipline themselves and control their debts, then its economic and soft power may surge ..."

Wow, isn't that impressive. So Europe, China and the rest of the world will be really impressed if the United States throws even more people out of work as long as it reduces its budget deficit! That's interesting, had it not been for NPR I never would have known people in the rest of the world thought this way.

It is an especially bizarre way to think since the large budget deficits of the last few years are almost entirely due to the downturn that followed in the wake of the collapse of the housing bubble....There were no big new programs that exploded the deficit in 2008 and 2009, rather the collapse of the economy caused tax collections to plunge and spending... to increase...In short, NPR wants its listeners to believe that a deficit that is attributable to a collapsed economy is a bigger problem than the collapsed economy itself. That takes great insight!

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/beat-the-press/npr-sets-straight-all-those-silly-people-who-thought-unemployment-was-the-countrys-biggest-problem

17 replies, 2869 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply NPR Sets Straight All Those Silly People Who Thought Unemployment Was the Country's Biggest Problem (Original post)
HiPointDem Oct 2012 OP
xchrom Oct 2012 #1
Iggy Oct 2012 #2
Anthony McCarthy Oct 2012 #3
Lionessa Oct 2012 #4
HiPointDem Oct 2012 #5
HereSince1628 Oct 2012 #6
meow2u3 Oct 2012 #14
geckosfeet Oct 2012 #7
Sam1 Oct 2012 #10
geckosfeet Oct 2012 #11
ReasonableToo Oct 2012 #8
Billsmile Oct 2012 #9
reformist2 Oct 2012 #12
JHB Oct 2012 #13
greymattermom Oct 2012 #15
spanone Oct 2012 #16
Johonny Oct 2012 #17

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:59 AM

1. Du rec. Nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:12 AM

2. National Pentagon Radio

NPR is clearly a farce-- and I've told them as much in several tweets recently.

Steve Inskeep actually responded to one-- in a typically insulting/juvenile manner.

I've been taking them to task re their reporting: "the U.S. military is pulling out of Afghanistan".

NO, we are not leaving afghanistan. Leon Panetta basically stated as much when he was there earlier
this year: "we are not going anywhere".

NPR and other lamestream media insist on ignoring the fact the U.S. just spent around $7 Billion dollars
designing and building well over a dozen state of the art military bases in Afghanistan.

WHO, I wonder will run/operate these bases, when 99% of Afghan men cannot read and write? they will
read the operational and repair manuals for the HVAC, electrical systems for these bases? they will run the
security for these bases??

please give me a break.

it's rather easy to predict our military (40-50,000 troops) will remain in Afghanistan as "trainers", and base operators
for decades-- given the fact we are still in Okinawa, Germany, etc. over fifty years after the end of WW II.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:32 AM

3. NPR employees need to feel the joy of unemployment

Back during the Bush II regime, NPR had on Amity Shlaes to talk about the enormous economic benefits of high unemployment. It was the incident that made me decide that NPR employees needed to do their part, it was the end of my donating days. NPR is a consumer fraud, it should be investigated for conning the dupes who donate to it on the basis of providing some kind of alternative. What with the line of NPR personalities from Jim Angle, their obviously pro Reagan "White House Correspondent" to Juan Williams and Mara Liasson its apparent NPR and FOX have a lot in common. And it doesn't get much sleazier than FOX.

Break it up, confiscate the assets bought with money they took from the dupes who believed they were what they pretended to be.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:33 AM

4. NPR has been nearly total crap for about 10 years.

As much as PBS still has Sesame Street and kids' shows, NPR and much of PBS news or documentaries is just right wing crap anymore. I don't think I'd really be too pissed if PBS and NPR were allowed to die, or better yet if Obama would get the Bushites out of running it, though he hasn't, which confuses me. Bush certainly has no qualms putting a winger in charge IIRC.

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:35 AM

5. most tv has been crap for awhile. 57 channels & it's all mostly the same crap. 'choices'.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:47 AM

6. Dick Cheney said "Deficits don't matter"

...unless they result in spending cuts that negatively influence large defense contractors.

All the concern about deficits is an attempt by the privateers to get corporate hooks into the pile of money that provides services to the American people.

Money sequestered in US accounts, particularly the social security trust fund, is money that the privateers want to concentrate within personal wealth. Moreover, they quite simply are not patient enough to wait for SS recipients to spend it.

Reply to this post

Response to HereSince1628 (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:29 AM

14. Repunks think deficits don't matter unless a Democrat is President

Then they magically transform into deficit hawks who must balance the budget on the backs of their own mothers.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:01 AM

7. This crap needs to be nipped in the bud. The Wall St propaganda machine spins this

"austerity is good" story along side of the "job creators need tax breaks" lie while living lavishly in midtown Manhattan amidst a sea of unemployment right outside their doors.

And the people will eat it up because of their self-hate and loathing.

Turn it off. Get out. Vote. And fight.

Reply to this post

Response to geckosfeet (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:03 AM

10. It is way to late to "nip it in the Bud."

The idea of deficit reduction is in full bloom and seems to be supported by the President (I have seen mention that the deficit hawk and Wall St. insider Erskine Bowles is one of those under consideration for Secretary of the Treasury). The fiscal cliff will be the crisis, it has been manufactured of course, that impels the "Grand Bargain" and the resulting austerity. Just as it took a Republican to go to China it will take a Democrat to begin the dismemberment of social security.

By the time it becomes apparent that you can't shear the sheep once you have slaughtered them it will be to late. However, hopefully it will flounder on the reef of Grover Norquist's no tax increase pledge that the Republicans signed.

Reply to this post

Response to Sam1 (Reply #10)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:08 AM

11. Perhaps the bud has bloomed. But there must be opposition.

But your point about Norquist's pledge is interesting. I am curious how they will march out the new set of revenue generators. All on the middle class and the poor? Social security tax increases? (Hey - hands off our retirement money!) Federal sales taxes? New federal spending taxes? Business or luxury taxes?

What will they do what will they do?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:01 AM

8. Better radio than NPR

Check out Pacifica radio. Programs such as DemocracyNow! in the morning with Amy Goodman.

It is 100% listener funded. They cover Occupy and fracking and climate change
the war on drugs and other topics that matter to citizens of the world.

When your radio tower is blown up twice by the KKK, you must be doing something right. When you rebuild each time and keep on going you must be strong.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:02 AM

9. Behravesh....

Is a global economy guy. The unspoken idea behind the global economy is that businesses get to shop the world for the lowest prices on labor and environmental restrictions. They get to trash the world's workers & the planet while generating more wealth for those at the top.

Globalization is world wide class warfare. Behravesh's viewpoint is supposed to be "spin-free" but he's already been spun.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:11 AM

12. More austerity crap. The rich need to deal with paying more taxes for once in their lives.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:12 AM

13. Funny how debt alarmists never suggest increasing revenue

The Debt is a dire threat to our very existence! But don't raise my taxes! I deserve my tax breaks and low rates! It's those damn waiters not reporting their tips that are breaking us!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:50 AM

15. just phrase it differently

the government needs a raise so it can pay off its debt without having to foreclose on its obligations

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:52 AM

16. 'the large deficits of the last FEW years'

bu$h* put to wars on america's credit cards....Obama has ended one and targeted the other...bullshit npr

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:06 AM

17. The only good thing about a Romney win is:You will never hear the word debt again

until next election cycle. The only he can lower unemployment is the release the capital and spend, spend, spend. No Republican in modern times has been able to resist the urge to spend like a drunken sailor once in office.

Dick Cheney will be on TV again telling you deficits don't matter. All those debt hawks voting for him... come 2014 they will be chanting to you "Romney is doing a great job on the economy" why because we will stop pretending to worry about the debt and the government will be spending. Too bad we wont be spending on climate, housing, food distribution, education...

You get what you pay for.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread