HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Do people decide based on...

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:59 AM

Do people decide based on the number of yard signs or they just morale boosters for the candidates?

If you drive along I-70 in Missouri you'd think it's as red as Kansas based on the clusters of Repuke signs along the side of the road on vacant barns, but if you never left the urban core of Kansas City you'd think it was a blue state. I see several signs for Turk in the whiter parts of Kansas City south of the river(his forth race against Emmanuel Clever) but he has no chance in a solid blue district (the MO Repuke legislature even gerrymandered it that way probably to keep the Repuke incumbents in the surrounding district safe). Yard signs are cheaper than commercials. The probably have bigger impact for the local downballot races

6 replies, 597 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Do people decide based on the number of yard signs or they just morale boosters for the candidates? (Original post)
pstokely Oct 2012 OP
WCGreen Oct 2012 #1
pstokely Oct 2012 #2
JI7 Oct 2012 #3
limpyhobbler Oct 2012 #5
Speck Tater Oct 2012 #4
Ms. Toad Oct 2012 #6

Response to pstokely (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:07 AM

1. When I was a candidate, I tried to get as many signs as I could in certain concentration areas...

It shows who their neighbors are voting for and it is easy and inexpensive way to advertise. It also lets people feel as if they are part of something.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to WCGreen (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:09 AM

2. They also tell you about the Demographics of an area

If you see a lot of Repuke yard signs close together, the surrounding area is probably white

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:10 AM

3. some of the undecideds go which way seems more popular

if by election day they view the election as being more for one candidate they will go which what they think will be the winner so they could feel like part of the winning crowd.

so it helps in that way.

i think it helps motivate supporters of candidates also.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:43 AM

5. yes. Also people look to their friends and neighbors for cues when they aren't sure what to do.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:10 AM

4. To many people, and possibly most people

it's the pep rally mentality. They root for a candidate for the same reason they root for a football team. They plant yard signs for the same reason they put team decals in their car windows. It signifies membership in a selected in group. It gives them a feeling of belonging and allows them to share vicarious credit for their football team or candidate winning the big game.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:12 AM

6. Name recognition.

And you'd be amazed how many people have no clue who is running for what office. They get in the voting booth, and play all those signs through their minds, try to connect them with where they might have seen the signs, so they can figure out whether they were clustered with candidates they like - or ones they didn't like so they can better guess who to vote for when they don't have a clue.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread