Sat Oct 6, 2012, 02:01 PM
Zalatix (8,994 posts)
I would WHOLLY ENDORSE the World Trade Organization if....
The WTO required, as a condition of membership, that all member nations (including America):
1) require industries to give their workers a livable wage.
2) require a CEO/worker earnings ratio cap of 20 to 1.
3) uphold a high standard for across-the-board pollution controls: in factories, the energy industry, etc. In short: CAP, not CAP and TRADE or pollution credits, etc. Just plain CAP, period.
4) uphold a high standard for workplace safety within their borders.
5) guarantee the right of workers to strike without fear of intimidation, assault or murder.
6) place outright bans on whaling, dragnetting dolphins in tuna nets, etc.
7) institute a Medicare-like health care system for everyone.
8) establish a nationwide DEFINED BENEFIT pension plan for workers.
I may have forgotten a few things, but that's the ones I can think of.
Hey, nations don't HAVE to do all of this. But then if the WTO made use of its prerogative to deny them membership for failing to meet these standards, then I would support the WTO.
13 replies, 1146 views
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
I would WHOLLY ENDORSE the World Trade Organization if.... (Original post)
|RB TexLa||Oct 2012||#8|
|RB TexLa||Oct 2012||#7|
Response to lunasun (Reply #6)
Sat Oct 6, 2012, 04:11 PM
RB TexLa (16,706 posts)
8. Did you think that poor countries that don't have everything the poster
wants to require should be given any opportunity to fight their way to a better state. After all they are poor countries just get rid of them
Response to RB TexLa (Reply #8)
Sat Oct 6, 2012, 04:24 PM
lunasun (6,823 posts)
11. guess my post was missing this>>>>
Get rid of WTO if getting rid of aything imo
and why would they be interested in any of the points the OP made???it is a trade org