HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » An open letter to the nat...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:24 AM

An open letter to the national Democratic party leadership.

Hi there,

I know that you wrote off Missouri about three years ago, despite the fact that Obama lost by only three thousand votes back in 2008. I can understand your reasoning, the fact of the matter is that outside of St. Louis, KC and Columbia, the rest of the state is various shades of red.

But things have changed since then, and Missouri deserves a closer look. That wily politician Claire McCaskill essentially handpicked her favorite opponent in Todd Akin, and he promptly did what we thought he would, fall flat on his face. After starting with a ten point lead that seemed insurmountable, Akin has bumbled and fumbled so badly that he is now six points back of McCaskill and dropping behind even further. Worse, at least for him, is the fact that he has become radioactive to everybody but the most die hard RW yahoos of this state. His funds have dried up, his advertising is non-existent, he is the gift that keeps on giving(latest bad news, he failed to report his state pension, oops)

The demise of Akin, the rise of McCaskill has also had the side effect of re-energizing Democrats and liberals in this state. Our enthusiasm is up, GOTV efforts are up, and this is reflected across the board. Governor Nixon, another blase' blue dog Dem, is going to win reelection to the governor's seat. And the chances for the president carrying this state have also gone up in a big way. What was once a solid six point lead for Romney has now turned into a tentative three point lead that is dropping daily.

With a month to go, it is entirely possible that Missouri could go solidly blue, but we desperately need some help, and that's where you folks at the national level come in. You need to drop in some serious money into the state, and do some serious ad buys. The race is coming down the home stretch, and the Democrats can win here, but we need HELP. Please, don't write us off, or simply assume that we're a bunch of hicks that are going to all vote Republican. We're not, we're doing all we can, but we need some support at the national level.

Claire McCaskill wedged open a door to allow the Democrats a path to victory in this state, it is your turn to blast through that door. Please, don't do as you've done so many times and disappoint us by doing nothing. If you don't, you're going to discourage another generation of Missouri Democrats, and consign this state to being red for another twenty years. The choice is yours, I hope you choose wisely.

20 replies, 1455 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply An open letter to the national Democratic party leadership. (Original post)
MadHound Oct 2012 OP
barbtries Oct 2012 #1
MadHound Oct 2012 #2
barbtries Oct 2012 #3
Octafish Oct 2012 #7
brooklynite Oct 2012 #4
lastlib Oct 2012 #5
MadHound Oct 2012 #8
loyalsister Oct 2012 #19
brooklynite Oct 2012 #20
MuseRider Oct 2012 #6
MadHound Oct 2012 #9
MuseRider Oct 2012 #11
MadHound Oct 2012 #12
MuseRider Oct 2012 #14
LiberalAndProud Oct 2012 #13
MuseRider Oct 2012 #17
LiberalAndProud Oct 2012 #18
MadHound Oct 2012 #10
JaneyVee Oct 2012 #15
jsr Oct 2012 #16

Response to MadHound (Original post)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:27 AM

1. that would be so great.

i liked Howard Dean and the 50 state strategy. we should return to that imo.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to barbtries (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:33 AM

2. I would love a return to that,

Sadly, it seems as though the national leadership pretty much wrote off Missouri starting in 1980. That has led to not only Republicans dominating presidential politics in this state, but also dominating at the state and local level as well.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:36 AM

3. which is tragic.

there's a great diary over on daily kos about what the abandonment of a state did to SC. now SC may have been a lost cause but i believe with a 50 state strategy it would at least be better for the liberals who live there.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/04/1139895/-Family-Budgets-Bain-Capital-and-Jesus-in-SC

here's the link - most highly recommended.

eta: it of course is not solely due to the democrats giving up on SC: the right and their money and corruption and fundamentalism and racism all play major roles.

Reply to this post

Response to barbtries (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:02 AM

7. Exactly how to make the Democratic Party Number One for decades.

Then, that would make it hard for things to stay the same. After all, the rich gotta keep getting richer.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:39 AM

4. I don't like throwing cold water on your request...

...and I say this as someone who's put $5,000 into Claire McCaskill's campaign, but if DNC isn't investing more now, its probably because they don't see the hard numbers to support the additional funding, AND if they gave money to MO, it would require taking it away from somewhere else where even the long odds seem better (Arizona, for example). While the fundraising requests will continue, at this point, the Party pretty much knows how much it has to spend and has decided where (and where not) to allocate it.

You're right about McCaskill and Nixon, but my expectation is that they've determined the campaigns and the State Party have enough resources to handle those races. A win for Obama in a center-right State is a stretch, when they're still fighting for Ohio, Florida, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #4)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:48 AM

5. Thank you for your support of Claire!

I certainly wish I could do that!

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #4)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:07 AM

8. Ah yes, the traditional wisdom,

The traditional wisdom that has basically consigned this state from being a solid center left state to now being a hard right state.

Look, I don't know why the national party stopped caring about Missouri, but they did, about thirty years ago. The successes we have had since then have been in spite of what the national party has done, not because of them.

The Obama campaign has been out raising Romney for two months now, and is sitting on more money than Romney right now. Isn't it time to put some of that money to good use? What would it do to the Romney campaign if another state, ten electoral votes, suddenly blew wide open and was no longer in his back pocket? Wouldn't those ten votes be a nice hedge just in case Ohio, or Florida, or Virginia didn't go for Obama, a distinct possibility given the voting shenanigans that plague those states?

Going forward, wouldn't it be nice to have a state that is once again center left here in the Midwest? Grow party support instead of just writing it off? And it wouldn't take that much money right now, a couple of million would do the trick, and change the course of politics in this state and in the nation for a generation or more.

Missouri may not be important to you in terms of the Presidential math, but it is vitally important in terms of the Senate. McCaskill, one of Obama's best buddies was abandoned by the national leadership this year, but on her own has once again put Missouri, and the Senate, back into play for the Democrats. Isn't that worth of some sort of appreciation?

The fact is, the electoral math that has been parsed and reparsed to the point of absurdity is utterly unreliable. You can't count on those states to always come out in favor of the Democrats, you actually have to grow the party in order to remain successful. Dean knew this, and showed the effectiveness of the Fifty State strategy in 2006. It is time that the rest of the party leadership also showed such wisdom. Abandoning states because the national leadership doesn't deem them worthy doesn't just have consequences in the political arena, but in real life as well. Consigning Missouri and other such states to red state hell means our quality of life has decreased, forcing us to fight to retain gains made a generation ago rather than going forward into a brighter future. Is that what you want for this country, a two tier system of states who are winners and losers, or fifty states that are going forward together?

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #8)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:56 PM

19. Because of this

106 R vs. 65 Dems in the House

and

26 Rs vs 8 Dems in the Senate

They can and do override any veto. They would be in trouble if they did it every time, but to have someone who signs off on anything this legislator signs would takes us down a road I vertainly don't want to experience.

I suspect they are investing quite a bit on getting Jay Nixon re-elected.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #8)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:30 PM

20. Simple question...where would you take the money from?

The Obama campaign can't use the money after November, so their not sitting on it: it's been targeted elsewhere. Money for Missouri means less money for...Florida? North Carolina? Virginia? All of which are in play NOW, not down the road with the development assistance.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:58 AM

6. Good luck with that

from your neighbor state Kansas who used to elect enough Democrats to keep us from where we are now with only a tiny amount of National party attention and money. Just look where we are now and that is what happens when your party decides you are nothing more than a good place to sacrifice.

Go Missouri. My kids live just over the state line, mere blocks over and I can hope they have better than what is going to happen to us.

Reply to this post

Response to MuseRider (Reply #6)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:11 AM

9. What has happened in Kansas is a crime,

I remember when I was young man that Kansas was a state with serious pockets of really cool, liberal areas, and a general populace who were, even if center right, reasonable, sane people. Now they have simply gone batshit crazy conservative, and that is indeed in part due to the abandonment of Kansas at the national party level. It isn't simply about writing off X number of electoral votes, it is about consigning the population of an entire state to conservative hell, and frankly I find that to be almost criminal. The national parties shouldn't be picking which states advance and which states remain behind, but rather advancing the progress of all states going forward.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #9)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:52 AM

11. Thank you MadHound.

I say this same rant in different forms all the time to the point that I feel like I am only whining in the wind. I saw a similar post from Nebraska the other day.

I post about Kansas now and again, sometimes something good happens but mostly about bad stuff because that is about all there is going to be after the election. Our choices when we vote are a couple of good dems, although too conservative for me, a couple of dems who usually say, "whatever, you can't expect me to fight over this" and the teabaggers hand picked by Brownback and the Koch brothers. Although I post about it I usually get one or two comments. I don't think it is only the national party, I don't think anyone much gives a shit what happens here and that does make me sad. We are not alone in that but personally it tends to make a person just not give a flying fuck about the rest of it. I do care what happens to you all next door though so go get 'em.

Brownback has said he wants Kansas to be an example. We all know what he means and none of it is good. At this point all we can do is hope that it happens and that we somehow can survive it. I mean we can't lose anymore self respect if we no longer have any. I know several organizations who are not going to even bother with lobbyists or rallies or writing, there truly is nothing here for any of us on the left, no one will listen when even the few remaining Dems shut the door in your face, and they do. Been there and done that.

One more thing. I was being honest when I said before many times that there were many people in the rural areas who did not know that Brownback had a Democratic challenger until they saw a name on the ballot. That IS a crime. I don't believe we received anything from the national party to run our guy, maybe enough for the one ad that I saw twice in the capitol of the state.

There are many reasons that I am no longer a Democrat and this is one of them. I still work for them, the ideals that they used to stand for and vote for them but they are not my party, not anymore.

Back to your topic, sorry. Since my Kansas threads die so quickly or are responded to with witty snark I have once again taken over yours for a bit. It is a demoralizing and depressing situation to be left to the likes of the tea baggers without one ounce of concern.

Reply to this post

Response to MuseRider (Reply #11)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:02 PM

12. You can threadjack me anytime, I understand.

I hear, understand and empathize with what's happening in Kansas, you're just farther down the road that Missouri has been traveling on.

I do care about Kansas, even though I give Kansans shit over the MU/KU rivalry. Like I mentioned earlier, Kansas used to be really cool, but that has gone away, dwindled to almost nothing. Sadly, that is spreading into Missouri as well.

I think it is wrong for the national party to write off states, hell, entire regions. The national party is hurting itself with this strategy, and worse, consigning an entire population to red state hell.

Kansas, Missouri, the Midwest in general, was a hotbed of liberal, populist thought and politics a century ago, and that spawned generations of solidly Democratic, liberal and progressive politics throughout the region. I don't know why the Democratic party abandoned us, but it truly was a crime.

Hopefully you get a Democratic candidate savvy as McCaskill. Perhaps then Kansas can start clawing its way back from red state hell. I'll help, cause I know you won't get any help from the national level.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #12)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:30 PM

14. I am hopeful that we can unseat

Lynn Jenkins. Tobias S. (I have yet to learn how to spell his last name although we are acquainted) is a wonderful person. A minister, that would usually make me nervous, who would govern in the House with compassion for ALL people.

Reply to this post

Response to MuseRider (Reply #11)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:02 PM

13. We can commisserate together.

Dean's strategy gave me so much hope for a new future, and it was snuffed when Obama was elected. wtf. The easiest thing to do as a mostly nonpolitical voter is to select a party identification and vote accordingly. If the national party took an interest, it wouldn't be all that difficult to shake that complacency up. Dean proved that.

Such a thing might also rid us of the blue dog plague that hobbles our party. Sometimes I think that's the plan. I realize our resources are limited, but red states should be allotted a portion. That would be, dare I say, Democratic.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalAndProud (Reply #13)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:41 PM

17. It must have been you that posted

before. I don't think I responded because I was not able to at that time. I agree, we need to come up with a plan, all of us who the party has decided can be shit canned (sorry, I am so very angry about this). I was never a fan of Dean but that was a great plan and it worked. It was not brilliant it was plain common sense and again, it worked. Once it was over we sank back down and have not found the bottom yet but we have to be close.

I actually am a registered Dem right now. I forgot I registered to vote in the LGBT caucus. After the election I will evaluate what to do about that.

Perhaps we could all stamp out a list of what we need and a statement to present to the DNC? I don't see much happening with it but we could be a pain in the ass to them with it and that always gets some kind of reaction. I would not say this happened because of Obama, it is the DNC leadership that made this decision under the last guy. Wasn't it Tim Kaine?

Reply to this post

Response to MuseRider (Reply #17)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:56 PM

18. what to do about that

It pains me to say this, but it is becoming increasingly clear to me that if I want a say about who should represent me in DC, I need to re-register. I railed at a remark my cousin made, "If you want to be elected in this state, you have to run as a Republican." Yet it has become a glaringly painful truth. The selection occurs at the primary level, and it's time I had a voice.

Changing my party ID would be admitting defeat, and without help at the national level, maybe that's what it has come to.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:43 AM

10. kick n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:32 PM

15. K&R!

Reply to this post