HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ponder this: Did Obama de...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:28 PM

Ponder this: Did Obama deliberately choose not to call out Romney's lies?

I was listening to a caller on Thom Hartmann on my drive home today who posited that Obama may have (wisely) opted not to call Romney out on the many lies he put forth last night.

Consider, that when the Republicans had the stage to themselves at Tampa, they were free to talk on and on about what they would do, taxes, jobs etc. Within a day or two, independent fact-checkers and major media (NYT, CNN, etc.) sifted through the lies and called them out on it. This exercise was the single most damaging front to Paul Ryan, whom people to this day, will no longer trust.

Suppose for a minute that Obama decided (with two more debates to come) that he would let Romney go, and let the press go after him, while he takes the high road...explaining his plans for America's future, and let the new cycles after the debate denter on Romney's lies.

Sounds plausible to me.

15 replies, 1392 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Not Me (Original post)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:29 PM

1. Is the alternative "accidentally"?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

2. If he would have spent all that time

correcting Rmoney, he wouldn't be able to answer his own questions.

Reply to this post

3. If that was his plan, he miscalculated badly

Reply to this post

4. Yes, IMO. Early on in the debate, they go back and forth a couple of times about the $5 trillion.

Not long after that, Mitt countered by asking Obama something or other that was total bullshit. Instead of responding, Obama pivoted onto his campaign messages and largely stayed with them throughout the rest of the debate.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:30 PM

5. Ponder this: How much ammo did Obama give to the GOP?

Answer: NONE.

How much ammo did rMoney give to the Dems?

Answer: TONS. Lie after lie after lie, told in a fast cadence, spitting and blinking.

Big Bird took off before the debate even finished!

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:32 PM

6. That would be a very bad plan

Hopefully the media narrative will begin to shift from the stylistic performance of Obama v. Romney (where Obama came out on the losing end) to the substantive performance (Romney's distortions, lies, etc etc). But evenif that begins to happen, the narrative going into the next debate will not be "will Romney lie again", it will be "can the President get his mojo back." I think he can. But the idea that he intentionally did poorly this time -- giving the Romney campaign a boost it desparately needed and putting the pressure in the second debate squarely on President Obama -- is ridiculous.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:33 PM

7. Probably, imo.

Difficult to call ANYONE on a lie, and particularly difficult forum, especially with no evidence at hand. Campaign and media can do it, with video evidence, from today on.
POTUS did say, in summary, that rmoney's been 'running around the country for a year' touting tax plan.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:35 PM

8. Clearly Obama had and has the ability to call Romney out..

It couldn't have been anything other than deliberate, Obama is a brilliant politician with an amazing command of policy and rhetoric.

Reply to this post

9. Obama is about ideas and making things work for America. The media is about faux people.

If the American people can't see through that, put a fork in us, we're done. Some of us are ready to discuss the issues as is Obama. Romney can't run on the agenda of his party, so he has to lie.

Reply to this post

10. I would bet that if....

Obama had called out Romney's every lie, the talk today would be that he wasn't presidential, that he should have maintained his dignity and focused on his own message and leave the dirty work to the news media.

It is the media's job to do the research and report on it. Was Obama suppose to have pulled out his IPhone and say "excuse me while I fact check your last statement."

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:36 PM

11. Hopefully it was successful

remember the hand wringers about the "Bain" Attacks, and the hand wringing about "Tax returns" These things didnt go away last night...nor did that 47% tape...Everyone knows Romney will say what he needs to say in public, to close the deal....but we also had a glimpse of the Romney behind closed doors.

The media calls this debate? How can you call a liar a winner? When did the rules change? It is the job of the Media to do the fact checking, the President's job is something else entirely...Romney debated a chair.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:40 PM

12. I only saw the last 35 minutes or so, but he did correct a lie or two

he just didn't devote all of his speaking time to it.

I plan on watching the whole thing tonight

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:43 PM

13. I doubt it

I think he brought a knife not just to a gunfight but to a drone strike. The President came armed with facts and accomplishments and found himself facing a barrage of lies, lies and damned lies from "Kanye" Romney. I don't think he was prepared for that, who would be? And it threw him off his game.

Shit happens. Everyone has an off night sometimes. If Romney had been packing any useful facts it would have been much worse, but the media seems to be all over Romney's Pinocchio debate style. So it's not as bad as it could have been. Obama will be fine.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 06:59 PM

14. I don't think he didn't choose to do that. I think he was taken aback by romney and his behavior

and not prepared to have a fallback on him coming out like a maniac. I also think the lies were a surprise because they were constant and numerous. I think he faltered on this one but it won't matter. Mr. Obama will win. I just think he got a jolt to be prepared for anything next time.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 07:00 PM

15. Of course he did, but that doesn't make it the right decision

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread