HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » $9/hour charter school te...

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 04:09 AM

$9/hour charter school teachers in Arizona???

Post Script: September 23, 2012

I received this comment from a mother-in-law of a teacher working in a charter school. This clearly outlines all that is wrong with privatizing our schools:

My daughter-in-law is a charter school teacher in Tucson Arizona – as it was the only job she could get as public schools are closing and they are laying off public teachers due to lack of funding. She get paid only $9 an hour – she is expected to work 10 or so hours( with no overtime) – clean her classroom (as the Owner of the Charter school does no want to hire a janitor – “too expensive”) AND Charter School teachers are not covered by a Union. The woman who owns the school owns 6 others – and is quite weathly – THIS IS A BUSINESS MONEY MAKING endeavor — AND they take precious financial resources from the “regular” Public Schools. Vote NO on this Initiative!!

http://seattleducation2010.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/the-inconvenient-truth-about-initiative-1240/

I found it unbelievable so I went looking through job ads. Didn't find a $9/hr teaching job, but found an $11/hr teaching job, which is about as bad -- that's $22.8K a year for a full regular year. Here's the job description:

Teachers, Assistant Teachers, and Aids (sic)

(I thought the 'aids' might be the fault of the website until i found the same ad on another site.)

We are a progressive, alternative learning community dedicated to offering opportunities to students that don't fit in the "one size fits all" conventional public school system. We are looking for persons of generous spirit, personal integrity, and a gift for tolerance with many of the skills of a stand-up comic to challenge our students to re-discover their JOY in learning. We are a four year charter high school on the East side of Tucson that has several elementary level trained teachers because so many of our students come to us reading below the 5th grade level.

What we do here is unique and conventional educational training leads to a different path. As a charter school, we are not required to hire certified teachers except in Special Education. We are in construction of our new 34,000 sq/ft facility and we are in need of help in virtually all of our departments, full time and part time for both primary and assistant teachers and aides.

This is your opportunity to get involved in our project of reclamation and make a difference in the lives of these denied students as we have for the last 11 years. Please check out our web page for details at Employment at CompassHighSchool.com. Our process begins with an email reply with a resume and letter of interest/introduction.

Compensation: $11 -$15 per hour depending on experience

(So experience gets you $15 an hour. Wow.)

http://tucson.craigslist.org/edu/3300385237.html

Whoever's doing their copy has some kind of literacy problem:

Teacher and Teacher Assistants Positions Wanted

http://www.compasshighschool.com/employment.html

19 replies, 2681 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply $9/hour charter school teachers in Arizona??? (Original post)
HiPointDem Oct 2012 OP
longship Oct 2012 #1
DiverDave Oct 2012 #2
twins.fan Oct 2012 #3
erodriguez Oct 2012 #4
HiPointDem Oct 2012 #13
Heather MC Oct 2012 #5
tclambert Oct 2012 #6
Warren Stupidity Oct 2012 #7
Starry Messenger Oct 2012 #8
TBF Oct 2012 #9
Eddie Haskell Oct 2012 #14
LWolf Oct 2012 #10
HiPointDem Oct 2012 #12
musical_soul Oct 2012 #16
LWolf Oct 2012 #19
tk2kewl Oct 2012 #11
musical_soul Oct 2012 #15
HiPointDem Oct 2012 #17
Erose999 Oct 2012 #18

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:30 AM

1. No HS teacher works a mere ten hours a day.

Teaching high school is a truly full time job. It consumes you seven days a week during the school year, often late into the night, or before the birds wake up in the AM (the latter was my preference).

What is happening in education in this country is utterly shameful.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 06:18 AM

2. Anything for a buck

god damned republicans.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 06:22 AM

3. I went through the H-1B visa paperwork for the Tucson area a few years ago ...

and found dozens and dozens of "teachers" jobs in the Tucson area being employed for very low wages coming into this country on H-1B visas.

Some major school systems around the country, NYC, Prince Georges County, Baltimore, etc. have been controlling labor costs with the H-1B visa over the years.

Reply to this post

Response to twins.fan (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 06:32 AM

4. You're wrong about NYC for this one. They use Teach For America and Fellows to control costs.

Reply to this post

Response to twins.fan (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 12:38 PM

13. The Gulen charter schools are a major h1b importer. One of the biggest, up there with some of

the tech companies.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 06:37 AM

5. This is a damn shame!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 06:45 AM

6. Teaching kids isn't really that important. They just need to know enough to go work in the mines.

And for God's sake, never, ever teach them anything that might help them imagine a better life. Just give them the Sarah Palin version of American History--how this is a Christian nation devoted to supporting the rich and giving all those poor people (losers!) the freedom to die.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 07:23 AM

7. That is how we hollow out what is left of the middle class.

Take a bucket of public revenue, it used to go to pay middle class teachers middle class salaries. Divert that bucket, half of it goes to profit for privatized "charter" schools, the remainder goes to pay replacement teachers at poverty level wages.

The tax payer doesn't get a break. Even if costs for providing the privatized service go down, they go down marginally at best, and the loss of good jobs either forces the community to increase taxes or reduce services, infrastructure crumbles, tax payers get angry, and the vultures circle demanding more privatization of public goods and services and the death spiral continues.

Reply to this post

Response to Warren Stupidity (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 07:36 AM

8. This exactly.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 07:45 AM

9. They've effectively broken the unions in this country and it

will not stop. Folks need to form new organizations and fight back.

The Walton family now owns as much wealth as 40% of the rest of the country: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jul/31/bernie-s/sanders-says-walmart-heirs-own-more-wealth-bottom-/

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 01:25 PM

14. Exactly!

Those Charter schools will select the students they want to teach and leave the difficult students in the public schools. It's easy to compete when the rules only apply to one side.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 08:46 AM

10. "trained teachers"

Trained by whom?

They aren't certified ("except in Special Education;") do they even hire any teachers for sped?

This reminds me of a new family in my school this year; the parents keep reminding us that they are "experienced teachers."

They are not licensed, and their experience comes from working for a private xtian school in the area.

I'm tired of so many unqualified and under-qualified people claiming the title. It's just another way to demean my profession.

Reply to this post

Response to LWolf (Reply #10)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 12:37 PM

12. +1

Reply to this post

Response to LWolf (Reply #10)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 01:33 PM

16. As long as the job is 9.00 per hr......

you'll find a shortage of people wanting to go to a four year university to get licensed.

Reply to this post

Response to musical_soul (Reply #16)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 08:14 AM

19. Yes.

They should call them, then, educational clerks, or babysitters, not teachers.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 09:51 AM

11. we pay the babysitter more than that to watch one kid

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 01:31 PM

15. At least you know who truly has their heart into it.

The problem with not paying teachers well is that they're often putting their own money into the classroom. People have no idea how much money teachers spend on their class.

As a substitute teacher, I was expected to clean up at the end of the day even though there was a janitor. I didn't mind unless the kids made a mess. A lot of times, making the kids clean up after themselves solves a lot of the cleaning problem.

Who is cleaning the bathrooms at those schools?

Reply to this post

Response to musical_soul (Reply #15)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 01:33 PM

17. I don't think that people necessarily work cheap because "they have their heart in it". Even

teachers.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 01:38 PM

18. Education is the one sector the Romneyites can't outsource, hence: Charter Schools. They exist only

to reduce labor costs in education, and pull money from the public system to suffocate it and kill it.

They can't send that job to China so they do the next best thing, hire a "Teach for America" scab to do a certified and union teacher's job for $9 an hour no benefits. And all the recent grads are forced to do stuff like "Teach for America" because certifications are prohibitively expensive for people racked with student loan debt, and the public schools are cutting people instead of hiring.

To hell with charter schools. To hell with Arne Duncan and the "reformers".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread