HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mitt Romney: Free Speech ...

Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:31 PM

Mitt Romney: Free Speech Is for Billionaires, Not School-Teachers

What does a plutocracy look like? How about a leveraged buy-out artist who used his family connections – and gamed the tax code – to amass a $378 million fortune , and whose campaign is almost entirely financed by deep-pocketed conservative sugar-daddies, saying that while money equals Constitutionally protected free speech for his own donors, there should be limits on political spending by teachers making $75,000 per year.

That's exactly what transpired on Tuesday at an education forum in New York. According to CBS, Romney said that "we simply can't have” elected officials who may receive contributions from teachers' unions negotiating with them. “I think it's a mistake,” Romney said. “I think we have to get the money out of the teachers unions going into campaigns.” CBS adds: “He suggested that money should somehow be diverted or cut off,” but -- as is typical with Romney -- “he did not offer details.”

One would be hard-pressed to come up with a better example of rank hypocrisy. The conservative view – now broadly accepted in our courts – has long been that money equals speech, that individuals and organization have a Constitutional right to donate to the politicians of their choosing. That was the rationale behind Citizens United – and a series of related cases – which allowed Romney to dominate the early fundraising race on the backs of a very small number of extremely wealthy donors .

And teachers' unions don't “sit across the table” from elected officials; they negotiate with appointed chancellors and career school administrators. Are school officials subject to the influence of elected officials? Yes, absolutely, but no more or less so than Defense Department or Department of Energy procurement officers are when they sit down and hammer out billion dollar contracts with companies that showered law-makers with lobbying dollars, and that happens every single day. But that, according to Romney, is not a problem.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/mitt-romney-free-speech-billionaires-not-school-teachers

4 replies, 977 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mitt Romney: Free Speech Is for Billionaires, Not School-Teachers (Original post)
HiPointDem Sep 2012 OP
Starry Messenger Sep 2012 #1
Frustratedlady Sep 2012 #2
Native Sep 2012 #3
proud2BlibKansan Oct 2012 #4

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:55 PM

1. k&r

The ruling classes aren't being very subtle these days.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Sep 30, 2012, 01:01 PM

2. He sure doesn't have any respect for teachers.

Brings to mind that video at a Q&A session where he shot back at a teacher trying to make a comment that, "I didn't ask you a question."

I would be terrified to have him as POTUS. He has no business near the "button" so to speak. I say that sincerely.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 30, 2012, 01:34 PM

3. I was so pissed when I originally heard this

and even more angry when no one else seemed to think much of the hypocrisy of it all. Glad Alternet has done something with it.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 12:46 AM

4. Asshole

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread