HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Local/State Camden plans ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Sep 24, 2012, 04:30 PM

Local/State Camden plans to disband police, starting anew

CAMDEN, N.J. - September 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Camden police force is about to be disbanded and replaced with a new county police department.

Camden County officials say it's a way to get out from under a costly union contract and bring more police to the street that consistently ranks as one of the nation's most dangerous.

But unless police unions agree to the change, many officers could lose their jobs. And those who remain will see their take-home pay reduced.

The Fraternal Order of Police lodge that represents city officers is fighting the plan in court but has also started talks with Camden County officials to try to save officers' jobs.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8821420

4 replies, 588 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to dkf (Original post)

Mon Sep 24, 2012, 04:53 PM

1. I live next to Camden and I can tell you this shit is going to be a TOTAL MESS!!!

Camden is one of the poorest cities in the nation if not the poorest with a high crime and drug rate most of these cops will be coming from Suburban mostly white towns that don't have any crime and these cops are not going to be used to the constant everyday murdering and killing in that town.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bigdarryl (Reply #1)

Mon Sep 24, 2012, 05:50 PM

3. Off topic a bit, but is Campbell Soup still there? I agree about the conditions, very sad..n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 24, 2012, 04:59 PM

2. Very, very bad news ontop of the already existing bad news.

I feel so terrible for people that must live there because they can not afford to flee or the old people who have always called Camden their home. Instead of helping and trying to solve problems, Chris Christie takes his foot and is crushes what is left of Camden then pushes it into oblivion.

sigh

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 24, 2012, 09:48 PM

4. U.S. Census: Camden, NJ now the poorest city in the United States closely followed by Reading, PA.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8818526

CAMDEN, N.J. - September 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- New statistics released by the U.S. Census Bureau suggest the Pennsylvania city of Reading is no longer the country's poorest. Camden, N.J. is.

For Angel Ramos who's lived in Camden 40 years, news of the city's poverty wasn't particularly shocking. New statistics released by the U.S. Census Bureau place Camden as the country's most impoverished city in 2011. The Bureau estimates that 42.5% of the people live below the poverty line in Camden. Reading, which was ranked number 1, has dropped to 6th.

"There are no jobs for people here," says Ramos.
<....>
Census figures say the poverty rate in Reading dropped from 41.3 percent in 2010 to 40.1 in 2011. That means the city of about 88,000 people is no longer considered the country's most-impoverished.
<....>
But an official with the United Way in Reading cautions that the rates are just estimates. Senior Vice President of Community Impact Pat Giles says the margin of error for Reading, Camden and other similarly struggling cities mean it's hard to tell which one truly has the highest rate.

This shouldn't be happening in any city in the U.S. but here it is while wealthy 1%ers bleed us dry cent by cent.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread