HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » GOP Source: Mitt Romney T...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:13 PM

GOP Source: Mitt Romney Threw ‘Tantrum’ At Univision ‘Brownface’ Forum

Oh, man. We were already aware that Egg Romney simply does not care for backtalk from The Help, and that Miffed Romney may not be great under pressure (or ever?). And Miffed Romney hasn’t had a good day we can remember since his Mr. Bean-level disastrous trip to Europe, which spawned the eternal, plaintive question “What about your gaffes?” But FUCK ALL, Buzzfeed has quite a story about Miffed’s trip to see the Mexicans at the Univision forum today, from sources both on the record (a Univision anchor, who detailed the many last-minute demands the campaign made) and off (a GOP source who says Romney threw a “tantrum” and refused to go on). A tantrum, Miffed? In front of people you are not actually paying? BEST. NOMINEE. IN HISTORY.

From Buzzfeed:

While introducing Romney at the top of the broadcast, Salinas’s co-anchor, Jorge Ramos, noted that the Republican candidate had agreed to give the network 35 minutes, and that Obama had agreed to a full hour the next night. Ramos then invited the audience to welcome Romney to the stage — but the candidate didn’t materialize.

“It was a very awkward moment, believe me,” Salinas said.

Apparently, Romney took issue with the anchors beginning the broadcast that way, said Salinas, and he refused to go on stage until they re-taped the introduction. (One Republican present at the taping said Romney “threw a tantrum.”)

Let’s repeat that: Mitt Romney THREW A TANTRUM because he didn’t like the anchor noting that he’d agreed to appear for 35 minutes as opposed to Barack Obama’s hour. And then he REFUSED TO GO ONSTAGE until they retaped the intro. We are starting to think Miffed Romney, in addition to having what we suspect is Asperger’s-induced Insult People To Their Faces Constantly Syndrome, also might have a problem of temperament.

http://wonkette.com/484909/gop-source-mitt-romney-threw-tantrum-at-univision-brownface-forum

12 replies, 1783 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP Source: Mitt Romney Threw ‘Tantrum’ At Univision ‘Brownface’ Forum (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Sep 2012 OP
nolabear Sep 2012 #1
tjdee Sep 2012 #2
nolabear Sep 2012 #3
Angry Dragon Sep 2012 #4
tblue37 Sep 2012 #5
goclark Sep 2012 #11
WI_DEM Sep 2012 #6
XemaSab Sep 2012 #7
rocktivity Sep 2012 #8
Chiyo-chichi Sep 2012 #9
Chiyo-chichi Sep 2012 #10
Cha Sep 2012 #12

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:14 PM

1. Hmmm...retape...retape...that means there's an original tape somewhere.

Watch for the Monday news cycle.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:15 PM

2. Univision can f*** off--they covered for him.

I said this in another thread, but it irritates me to read this nonsense.

To any regular viewer of Univision, it looks like both candidates were reasonable and gave the network the same amount of time.

Instead of covering for him, Univision should have aired Romney's half hour and then did a separate report about all this.

Leaking it after the fact is lame and no one notices but us hardcore politicos.

So, Univision can f*** right off.

Reply to this post

Response to tjdee (Reply #2)

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:19 PM

3. Oh I think it's just fine. Rolls out the rope slowly.

The media's paying attention more than ever now that this stuff is happening more and more frequently. Word's getting around and sheer quantity over time has its effect.

VOTE.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:21 PM

4. Willard has a temper

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:25 PM

5. Please do not blame Asperger's for his nastiness and

insulting behavior. I know many people with Asperger's, and none of them act like that. Inf act, I would say that Asperger's makes a person much less likely to be nasty and insulting to other people!

Mitt does not have Asperger's. If he did, he would not be able to lie so easily. That's one of the "deficits" (or, perhaps, one of the advantages!)that comes with Asperger's and other autistic spectrum conditions, because the sort of mental processes required to lie (or to express or understand certain kinds of jokes and certain types of metaphorical language) makes it extremely hard--maybe even impossible--for someone with Asperger's to use language to express something other than what the person knows to be true.

What I think he has is spoiled rich brat social ineptness, which is another condition altogether.

Asperger's makes it hard for someone to read subtle social clues that most of us take for granted and use without even thinking of it. A person with Asperger's tends to hyperfocus on whatever specific topic(s) he finds particularly fascinating, and Asperger's also makes it hard for that person to switch topics when other people signal a lack of interest or when others try to take the "conversation" away from the person with Asperger's who has been holding forth on his special topic at length and not noticing that his company is not as fascinated as he is or that they really would like to move on to another topic.

But Asperger's has nothing to do with nastiness or insulting behavior, and I am appalled at how often that connection gets made here on DU!

Reply to this post

Response to tblue37 (Reply #5)

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 03:36 PM

11. I agree

A dear friend insist that our mutual friend has it.
I just think the friend is more like Rmoney--- He is rich and he said recently, " Nobody can touch my money- I am the one percent! " He always has to win a discussion. He lacks "social graces."

I would say that he is more like a sociopath
"Sociopaths have little regard for the feelings of others and manipulate others in order to get what they desire. The term "sociopath" is no longer used in psychology and psychiatry, and the disorder is now called "antisocial personality disorder."

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:26 PM

6. I'm hoping that it's this kind of loss of composure that will screw him up in the debates.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:27 PM

7. I said the other day

There have been other candidates with Rmoney's problems--Kerry and both Bushes had money, Gore was trying to disassociate himself from the previous presidency, Bush Jr. and Clinton dodged the draft, Sarah Palin was very confused on all the issues, Obama had an international background that was suspicious for some people, Kerry and Gore were accused of being "stiff," Kennedy wasn't a protestant--but Romney's got all of it at once.

I forgot McCain's reputation for having a temper.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:29 PM

8. I have to take Mitt's side on this

Telling the audience that Mitt had agreed to half the time Obama did was as unprofessional as it was unnecessary. I'm glad that the intro was re-taped -- it would have given him, and the rest of the GOP, a legitimate reason to criticize Univision.

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Response to rocktivity (Reply #8)

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:37 PM

9. Perhaps, but...

I imagine President Obama would have come on out and made a charming joke about it if the shoe were one the other foot.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 02:40 PM

10. Actually, Mitt agreed to give them 31.8 minutes...

because he believed that Obama would automatically start out with 47 percent of the hour.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 05:00 PM

12. So is that why Univision didn't ask miffed about

"SELF DEPORTATION"?! Figured, he Self Deport his sorry ass off stage?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread