HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Impact of voter ID laws a...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 06:07 PM

Impact of voter ID laws and GOP suppression tactics on the outcome of the election (Poll)

What level of impact do you believe voter ID (ie voter suppression) rules and other GOP tactics will have on the outcome of the Presidential election? Obama bested McCain by roughly 9 million votes (popular vote) in 2008. It is estimated that voter ID laws could disenfranchise 5 million or more (predominantly) Democrats. There is also talk of voter intimidation amongst GOP troops, and we are likely all aware by now that electronic voting machines can be easily manipulated. Do you believe the GOP swing the election their way on the basis of these tactics, or do you feel they pose little threat?
9 votes, 0 passes | Time left: Unlimited
The GOP tactics will very likely swing the election to the GOP
1 (11%)
The GOP tactics may have some effect, but not enough to swing the election
7 (78%)
The GOP tactics will have zero effect on the outcome of the election
0 (0%)
I don't believe any of these things are actually happening
1 (11%)
I like pie
0 (0%)
Show usernames
Disclaimer: This is an Internet poll

3 replies, 582 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Impact of voter ID laws and GOP suppression tactics on the outcome of the election (Poll) (Original post)
NorthCarolina Sep 2012 OP
brewens Sep 2012 #1
NorthCarolina Sep 2012 #2
Bluefin Tuna Sep 2012 #3

Response to NorthCarolina (Original post)

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 06:15 PM

1. I've been wondering if it will have a somewhat opposite effect. People that weren't

burning to vote might be determined since they are being told they can't.

Republicans will also block some of their own. I know they carefully ran the numbers to make sure they would get the long end of the stick but it won't be 100% Democrats being blocked.

Now it looks like we are getting some help from the courts. If enough of these laws get tossed, we still have fired up voters that thought they were going to be screwed. In some states it may turn out to have backfired. Their failed attempt at suppression only increases turnout. Wouldn't that be cool!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brewens (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 06:24 PM

2. I like your optimism

and I hope that you are correct. I find it funny though that our legislators are so intent on spreading American style democracy throughout the world, and yet we lack the capability to even have a fair and honest election right here in America.

Reply to this post

Response to NorthCarolina (Reply #2)

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 06:29 PM

3. Don't 40% of Democrats fail to vote in the election anyway?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't voter turnout among Democrats and Republicans alike only about 60% in every election (if even that high?) This means that there are probably tens of millions of Democrats and Republicans every single election who do have photo ID but yet sit on the couches and don't vote.

If even just 10% more of Democrats or Republicans showed up to vote, wouldn't they overcome just about any effect that could be had by these voter-ID laws?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread