HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » victim in Libya posted in...

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:35 PM

victim in Libya posted in Eve Online game yesterday about fear of attack

The freepers are discussing how Sean Smith posted the following in the gaming site Eve Online, where he was a very involved senior player under the user name vile rat:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2929964/posts#comment

The US official killed during a US consulate attack in the Libyan city of Benghazi was Sean Smith, otherwise known Eve Online player Vile Rat - director of the notorious Goonswarm alliance and former member of the player-elected Council of Stellar Management.

snip

Infamous Eve Online player Alex "The Mittani" Gianturco was a personal friend of Sean Smith.

"So: Vile Rat, Sean Smith, my friend for over six years, both in real life and in internet spaceships, was the 'State Department Official' killed in Benghazi by a mob of religious lunatics, who had been incited to violence on this September 11th by a movie that was apparently made sometime in July," Gianturco wrote on his website.

"Obviously, given the combined attacks in Egypt and in Libya, this was a coordinated act designed for maximum media exposure; rile up a mob, point them at an embassy or consulate on 9/11 in particular, aim for the press. Many were injured in these pointless, reprehensible acts, and one of my closest friends was killed as a result."

Gianturco shared a chat room message posted by Vile Rat, presumably from earlier that day.

"(12:54:09 PM) vile_rat: assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our 'police' that guard the compound taking pictures."

16 replies, 2143 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to grasswire (Original post)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:37 PM

1. Such a tragic loss.

I don't even want to know what the freepers are saying.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tosh (Reply #1)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:52 PM

3. Having checked, no, you really don't. Ugh. (nt)

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:51 PM

2. He was one of the Something Awful players' guys; I was reading their thread about him

You can see the announcement and a general memorial thread here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506424&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Oddly enough, his 'hat' so to speak in EVE was as a diplomat and troubleshooter. Apparently he was interested enough in diplomacy from doing IT work for the foreign service that he turned it into a hobby in the game, and was quite good at it from what people have said about him.

SA itself's already passing the hat for the guy's family. The site's shaken by it to say the least.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:56 PM

4. oh, how sad

I don't know why this seems extra sad, really... the whole thing is horrible enough already. But this evidence that they had an idea that something was coming is heartbreaking...

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 06:56 PM

5. I don't understand. Where were our Marines that are supposed

to guard every embassy? Also, if there was danger, why wasn't our embassy shut down temporarily? Please do not misunderstand these questions. Everyone on this forum knows how much I respect Hillary Clinton, so, this is not a criticism, and I don't pretend to know embassy protocol. I would like to know more about how this happened. Do all of our embassies need extra caution right now? Of course, and I am sure the State Department is taking care of this. I would just like to know what is being done. The lives taken are precious Americans who were giving their hearts and souls for love of this country and were trying to make a difference.

Reply to this post

Response to juajen (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:01 PM

6. The worst attack was at one of the consulates, not the embassy proper

Those usually have much lighter security than the main mission's site, since they're smaller, less important diplomatically, and - this is the important one - not formally US soil.

Security at most embassies is going to be going up because of this of course, and probably the same for the consulates when they're able to get permission to do so.

Reply to this post

Response to juajen (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 08:03 PM

13. I've been all over the internet today, and I can't cite to the story I saw.

But I did read that two of the Americans killed at Benghazi were marines. They died protecting the Ambassador and one of the consulate staffers.

I can't vouch for my memories, but that's what I now recall.

I also recall hearing on TV (CNN or MSNBC) that more marines were en route from Spain. Drones are coming in to look for any possible extremist camps and to take pictures so that the Libyans themselves can go after their own bad guys. The new Libyan government seems interested in taking out their own trash.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:03 PM

7. Provides more confirmation that some Libyan security forces played a role in the attack

Reply to this post

Response to brentspeak (Reply #7)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:42 PM

9. Yes, it sounded as if he was worried about at least one of the guards.

I wonder if they had conveyed their fears to anyone who could have provided extra security. And if he made this comment after the Embassy had issued its own statement of condemnation of the Movie.

What a terrible tragedy this is.

Reply to this post

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #9)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:51 PM

10. It sounds like it moved too quickly for that. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #9)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 08:08 PM

14. The U.S. embassy in Cairo, Egypt sent out the message of condemnation, not the Benghazi,

Libya consulate.

I watched the PBS News Hour tonight. They had a debate between former Sen. Coleman from Minnesota and a Mr. Burns who was a U.S. foreign service officer for some time under both Republicans and Democrats. Mr. Burns said that the message from the embassy in Cairo was an attempt to save itself in the midst of a very bad situation. As it was, the protesters in Cairo last night only breached the outer wall temporarily and did not penetrate into the embassy itself. No U.S. foreign service officer in Cairo was harmed, and perhaps that may be attributable to the message and to the current Egyptian government putting out a message that it would not tolerate a situation like what happened in Benghazi.

I am not aware that the Benghazi consulate or the U.S. embassy in Tripoli, Libya, the capital, put out a defensive statement like the embassy in Cairo.

Reply to this post

Response to amandabeech (Reply #14)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 08:26 PM

15. Thank you for the correction. I wonder if the Libyan diplomats knew about the statement

from the Egyptian Embassy.

Regardless, it is clear he was worried, and it is more than tragic that his fears were realized in such a tragic way.

Reply to this post

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #15)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 08:56 PM

16. The new Libyan government in Tripoli might have known,

but I doubt that the people in Benghazi who protested or whoever attacked the consulate (and they may not be the same), likely didn't know. As for the folks who attacked the consulate, they probably wouldn't have cared. They may be Al Quaeda affiliates, btw, who are avenging our killing of their then #2 by a drone strike in Pakistan last June.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:07 PM

8. Vilerat was also a moderator at Something Awful

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:54 PM

11. Aww man that just sucks

This guy seems like he was a really cool human being, such a loss over idiocy.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:56 PM

12. RIP fellow pvper

I game with a number of military guys, some over seas, it must have been so hard to see the news and know in your gut it was your friend.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread