HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Who is Sam Bacile? The ma...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:05 PM

Who is Sam Bacile? The maker of the film that sparked the protests. Something smells

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/sarahposner/6377/who_is_%E2%80%9Csam_bacile%E2%80%9D/

Both the AP and the Wall Street Journal have reported interviews with Sam Bacile, the man who claims to be a California real estate developer who raised $5 million from Jewish donors to make his obviously lowest-of-low budget, amateurish anti-Islam film.

But before the July 2012 upload of the film trailer to YouTube, under the user name Sam Bacile, you’d be hard pressed to find evidence of the existence a California real estate developer online. What’s more, if whoever made the film actually spent $5 million on it, the expenditure hardly shows in the content, acting, or production values. Amateurish doesn't even begin to describe the 13-minute trailer on YouTube.

The film was promoted by anti-Muslim zealot Terry Jones.

Consider all the contradictions: small ones, true, like in one account he is 52 and in another he is 56. To the AP he is “a California real estate developer who identifies himself as an Israeli Jew” and to the Times of Israel he is “Jewish and familiar with the region.” And what about that bit at the end of the statement to the Times of Israel—that “even Jesus” should be “in front of the judge”? That sounds like someone who is trying to provoke more than just Muslims. A lot of things don’t add up here about the claimed identity of the filmmaker.

UPDATE: A detail I failed to note earlier this morning from the AP story: “Israeli officials said they had not heard of him and there was no record of him being a citizen. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not permitted to share personal information with the media.”

21 replies, 2762 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Who is Sam Bacile? The maker of the film that sparked the protests. Something smells (Original post)
Ian62 Sep 2012 OP
JustAnotherGen Sep 2012 #1
seabeyond Sep 2012 #2
polichick Sep 2012 #3
flamingdem Sep 2012 #4
HiPointDem Sep 2012 #5
Warpy Sep 2012 #6
LiberalEsto Sep 2012 #7
Lint Head Sep 2012 #8
Mac1949 Sep 2012 #9
Monk06 Sep 2012 #19
Blue Meany Sep 2012 #10
winstars Sep 2012 #12
Monk06 Sep 2012 #20
Kindly Refrain Sep 2012 #11
magical thyme Sep 2012 #13
Ian62 Sep 2012 #14
meow2u3 Sep 2012 #21
JaneyVee Sep 2012 #15
Tom Ripley Sep 2012 #18
kiranon Sep 2012 #16
MADem Sep 2012 #17

Response to Ian62 (Original post)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:07 PM

1. We must have posted at the same time

I don't think Bacile exists. I honestly don't.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:07 PM

2. the whole thing smells. it will be interesting watching this unfold over the days.

both here and libya

Reply to this post

Response to seabeyond (Reply #2)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:08 PM

3. It will be very revealing to be sure!

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:10 PM

4. Romney certainly seemed poised to take advantage of the situation

What do you think the motives were of the filmmaker/s ?

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:12 PM

5. Same thing with Terry Jones. Another dubious character with a biography that doesn't add up.

I've always thought jones was some kind of operative working for somebody.

he grew up with rush limbaugh, too.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:16 PM

6. Yes, it smells very strongly of dirty money from the far right

The photos of "Bacile" on Google show a man who looks far older than his stated age of 54. We know his footprint in southern California is barely perceptible, as though he came into existence quite recently as a small time real estate hustler who always wanted to break into movies.

My guess is that he started life with a different name. My guess is also that his funding can probably be traced to the usual right wing suspects.

My guess is also that the film was produced to scare the faithful at revivals and the kiddies at Jesus Camp. It's so amateur that I doubt any theater other than an art house using it for laughs would ever show it.

I also think it was likely a pretext for a terror cell in Libya that incited a small crowd to appear and provide a little cover for what seems to be a well planned operation.

Still, all any of us has right now is guesswork, some of us more educated than others. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:17 PM

7. Is Bacile's real first name Im?

Last edited Wed Sep 12, 2012, 05:53 PM - Edit history (1)

as in Im Bacile?

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:25 PM

8. The trailers are horrible. Really bad green screen effects. $5,000,000? Hahahahahahahahahaha

The acting is atrocious. The movie would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:35 PM

9. So, is this the right trying to gin up a threat to make Rmoney look presidential,

or just more ass-hat-ery by Jones and his ilk? If it's the first option somebody needs to be seriously launching an investigation toward possible criminal charges.

Reply to this post

Response to Mac1949 (Reply #9)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 06:01 PM

19. That's my guess. I think Rev Jones and some RW money got together. Maybe OKeefe did the editing.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:48 PM

10. Bacile is a pseudonym. Steve Klein, a consultant on the film and a prominent figure

among Islam haters, has confirmed this. My guess is the real producer was Morris Sandek, an anti-Muslim Copt who lives in the southern California and is closely associated with Klein.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue Meany (Reply #10)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:57 PM

12. Right Wing SCUM makes this movie (or just the trailer) and hands it to Jones knowing he will promote

their bullshit. Then they make sure their fellow religious nut jobs (on the other side) get copies or whatever to start some shit.

Don't the Fundies need Mid East (Israel) to blow up for their "end of days" scenario, could be they are getting impatient...

Reply to this post

Response to Blue Meany (Reply #10)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 06:18 PM

20. I have to say that's more detailed than my guess. Orly Taitz lives in the San Diego area. Lots of

rich RWs there.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 02:49 PM

11. Shouldn't be too hard to track down the actors.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 03:07 PM

13. the use of a pseudonym is not surprising

he said he expected it would provoke violence and he knew there could be backlash against him.

Either rightwing scum trying to create an opportunity for Romney to score points, in which case fail.

Or rightwing scum deliberately providing cover for an al qaeda attack, in which case we've seen this movie before.

Or both.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 03:10 PM

14. Maybe Sam Bacile, Steve Klein, Terry Jones and extremist Evangelicals

should step up to the plate and admit some responsibility for the death of the US Ambassador to Libya and 2 other American officials.

Reply to this post

Response to Ian62 (Reply #14)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 06:24 PM

21. I also think Sam Bacile is a composite

of Christianist extremists. In other words, Sam Bacile may well be Steve Klein, Terry Jones, and the Tea Party.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 03:11 PM

15. Follow the Sheldon Adelson/Koch money.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #15)

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 05:33 PM

18. +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 03:15 PM

16. What proof is there that AP and Wall Street Journal interviewed the man who

now seems to have disappeared or not to exist? Be interesting to find out who set up the interview and why. Also, to find out who appeared as the interviewee and what was said provided it actually happened.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 12, 2012, 05:31 PM

17. Sam Bacile...say it fast and it sounds like IMBECILE.

The Guardian has a piece on the mystery of the guy, too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/12/mystery-sam-bacile-innocence-muslims

The Hollywood Reporter said the ramshackle production values of the 13-minute clip posted online cast doubt on Bacile's claim of a $5m budget. Industry figures had not previously heard of him or the film.

Bacile has virtually no footprint in the Hollywood community. The writer-director-producer has no agent listed on the IMDBPro website and no credits on any film or TV production.

Steve Klein, a "consultant" on the film, describes himself as a Vietnam veteran, counter-terrorism expert and board member of an ultra-conservative group, Courageous Christians United. In 2010, he self-published a book, Is Islam compatible with the Constitution?, which assails Islam's treatment of women.

Bacile was also linked to Morris Sadik, an Egyptian Coptic Christian based in California who runs a small virulently Islamophobic group called the National American Coptic Assembly. He promoted a clip of the film last week.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread