HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Liberty Media the new mor...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Aug 27, 2012, 01:01 PM

Liberty Media the new more "stealthy" face of News Corporation?...

Everyone's familiar with News Corporation and its association with the nasty Rupert Murdoch empire and Faux News, etc.

They became a visible "bad guy" in the corporate world. Perhaps too much so that it attracted too much attention with their other business moves.

News Corporation in the past tried to move in controlling satellite television, with their ownership of DirecTV

News Corporation took control of XM Radio in 2004 with the purchase of Hughes Electronics from GE then. I'll have to go back and research some more, but I recall News Corporation and XM trying to "merge" with Sirius a while back, which fell through with concerns of monopoly power being a factor.

I also remember but need to do some more searching for articles about how DirecTV and NewsCorp trying to swallow up Dish then too and that effort also failing.

News Corporation was too visible. Then things started to shift. DIRECTV arranged a deal where its ownership was transferred to Liberty Media in the deal mentioned here in exchange for Liberty Media's ownership stake in News Corporation.

http://transition.fcc.gov/transaction/liberty_media-directv.html

Subsequently News Corporation also "divested" itself from XM Radio ownership. This I think helped Sirius and XM to later subsequently do their own merger so that there is now only one satellite radio company.

And of course this DU post a short time ago mentions that Liberty Media's majority stakeholder is now News Corporation?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002380669

Hmm.. Haven't had time to really search the internet to see how "current" this is, but I sense a big shell game happening. Does Liberty and has Liberty controlled News Corporation and made it the bad guy of the past? Or is News Corp now the controlling entity and trying to use Liberty to gain the control they couldn't with News Corporation?

Now look at what's just happening the last few weeks. Two big moves that make one wonder what Liberty Communications game is. First, a television network I watch a lot of as it has a lot of my college's games on it, "The Big Ten Network" is now in risk of being dropped by Dish Network with a failure to agree on financial terms of this agreement. But what is going on behind the scenes. Does the Big Ten conference, or does Fox Sports Network have controlling interest in the Big Ten Network and perhaps is playing hardball with Dish Network, since it is also owned by the same entities that own DIRECTV (Liberty/News Corporation)? Dish Network has recently had a lot of other networks that it has had difficulty coming to agreement with and just dropped AMC recently (we lose Portlandia here in Portland, ugh!)

And I just stumbled upon this article on how Liberty Media is now applying for ownership of Sirius/XM radio, which perhaps is the final realization of the Liberty/News Corporation cabal over Sirius/XM that they couldn't get to happen with the more visibile News Corp entity as the "owner".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/liberty-media-sirius-xm-control-filing-john-malone-363861

Should we be sounding the alarm to the FCC, etc. and others about this under the covers effort to try and build a media monopoly by Liberty Media? Something stinks, and I think it needs more research here. Please post links for more info that we can put together on this puzzle. I do think something sinister might be at work here, that may need some actions now to stop Liberty from acquiring Sirius/XM amongst other things.

1 replies, 732 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Liberty Media the new more "stealthy" face of News Corporation?... (Original post)
cascadiance Aug 2012 OP
Panasonic Aug 2012 #1

Response to cascadiance (Original post)

Mon Aug 27, 2012, 01:03 PM

1. John Malone is a well-known Republican

and I don't think he's gonna do very much.

He divested himself from TCI Communications (which then became Comcast in our area)

He divested himself from the Denver Nuggets ownership (sold it to the Walmart heirs)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread