HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Marco Rubio Touts GOP Abo...

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 03:23 PM

Marco Rubio Touts GOP Abortion Platform That Suggests Women Are Not Humans

http://www.politicususa.com/marco-rubios-defense-gop-abortion-platform-suggests-women-humans.html

The holes in the Republican “pro-life” spin are showing.

Today Republican Senator Marco Rubio was on CBS’ Face the Nation attempting to defend the Republican Party’s platform on abortion, in which there is currently no exception in cases of rape, incest or the life of the mother. Rubio touted the party’s “pro-life” stance repeatedly, and claimed Republicans were “protecting the rights of a human being to live”. Rubio’s defense suggests that pregnant women are not human beings, otherwise why are they leaving out life of the mother as an exception?

The hill the republicans want to die on, women's bodies. WE ARE NOT YOUR PROPERTY!

28 replies, 4855 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply Marco Rubio Touts GOP Abortion Platform That Suggests Women Are Not Humans (Original post)
warrior1 Aug 2012 OP
Angry Dragon Aug 2012 #1
Flashmann Aug 2012 #4
CrispyQ Aug 2012 #2
Raine1967 Aug 2012 #12
smirkymonkey Aug 2012 #3
Freddie Aug 2012 #5
malaise Aug 2012 #6
avebury Aug 2012 #7
amuse bouche Aug 2012 #8
Auntie Bush Aug 2012 #9
lark Aug 2012 #11
Raine1967 Aug 2012 #14
GEOpix Aug 2012 #10
lark Aug 2012 #13
Lifelong Protester Aug 2012 #15
niyad Aug 2012 #22
Mad_Dem_X Aug 2012 #18
Politicalboi Aug 2012 #26
sakabatou Aug 2012 #16
Mad_Dem_X Aug 2012 #19
sakabatou Aug 2012 #24
handmade34 Aug 2012 #21
99Forever Aug 2012 #17
Initech Aug 2012 #20
defacto7 Aug 2012 #23
ananda Aug 2012 #25
ProfessionalLeftist Aug 2012 #27
Wednesdays Aug 2012 #28

Response to warrior1 (Original post)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 03:26 PM

1. another republican ass

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 03:30 PM

4. another republican ass

WIPE........assWIPE......

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 03:29 PM

2. It's not that they think we aren't human,

it's just that in the scope of the hierarchy, we are beneath the fetus.

White men
Corporations
Fetuses
Other men
Women

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:39 PM

12. ^^THIS^^^ and don't forget, Rape is just a detail to the GOP:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/08/26/745691/gop-platform-chair-rape-a-detail-in-the-abortion-debate/

McDonnell: We’re affirming that we’re a pro-life party.The details certainly are left to Congress and, ultimately, to the states and the people on how they ratify such an amendment. More importantly, what they do at the state level.

Stephanapoulous: So is the party for a rape exception or not?

McDonnell: The party didn’t make any judgment on that. It’s a general proposition to say we support human life. The rest of the details are up to the states and the people respectively, George. That’s simply not covered.

Rape is a state's rights issue it seems, to the GOP, and just a small detail.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 03:30 PM

3. Fuck that!

Any woman who votes for these idiots is clearly insane.

My mother died in childbirth (uneccesarily, she could have been saved with intervention) but it was a Catholic hospital and I am sure they thought the same as these asshats. I won't go into the fallout. Let's just say I will fight to the death to have these knuckledraggers defeated in the next election.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:02 PM

5. Excellent read

Puts into words the extreme anger I'm feeling toward those who consider women as less than human walking incubaters.

Regarding "no exceptions for rape" what I often hear is "oh they'd never really put that into law, they're just saying that to make lip service to the hard-liners."
Just the fact that someone even THINKS that a woman should be forced to bear a rapist's spawn makes me want to puke. The idea is so repulsive, so hateful, anyone even pretending to support it hates half the human race.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:04 PM

6. K & R n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:14 PM

7. K&R nt

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:16 PM

8. These knuckle dragging cretins

are so scary. They must be defeated and flushed

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:33 PM

9. So when/if the Conservatives take control...All women with ectopic pregencies will DIE!

Do men realize what a painful death that would be? How can anyone have such an ultimate goal?

Reply to this post

Response to Auntie Bush (Reply #9)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:38 PM

11. No, not all women will die.

You can bet all the money in the world that their wives and daughters will not have to die. Dying is for the regular folks, not those who are rich and powerful. The MFers.

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #11)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:42 PM

14. Good point.

EXCELLENT point to be honest.

I think the GOP is totally fine with abortion for women who have enough money to buy one.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:35 PM

10. Rapist as "father"

Another very sad side effect of this sick right wing proposed legislation is that unless you can prove "legitimate" rape, the rapist is the "father", and could be entitled to visitation rights. (We can only hope that the rapist would also be responsible for child support).

Reply to this post

Response to GEOpix (Reply #10)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 04:41 PM

13. OMFG I feel like I'm going to throw up!

They want to give the rapist visiting rights? Let the totally sick, woman hating, misogynist rape the daughter and the moter - repeatedly? Every person that votes yes on this absolutely inhuman law should be repeatedly raped, This is the absolutely most woman hating vile thing I have ever heard.

How could they?

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #13)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:00 PM

15. Just having a conversation about this

with a friend. I will be searching for the youtube link, but basically she was sharing the story of a women who bore a child from rape, and the rapist (I will not dishonor the title of 'father' in such cases) was suing for custody! Yes! (The woman to whom this is happening is apparently speaking out against this or any rapist being able to sue for custody.)

This is so sick. And any woman who does not see this and votes Republican is ignoring some real misogynist stuff.

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #13)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:54 PM

22. you are not finished throwing up yet--rapists get visitation and custody rights in THRITY-ONE states

In thirty-one states, a man who is accused or convicted of rape is allowed to seek visitation and custody rights of the child fathered in the rape – in the same way as any other dad.

That legal situation is the focus of a CNN op-ed by lawyer Shauna R. Prewitt. For Prewitt the topic is personal: she says that she was raped at age 21, and chose to have the baby. Soon after her daughter's birth, while Prewitt was pursuing a case against her alleged rapist, he served her with papers seeking custody of her daughter.
Read Full Story
http://politix.topix.com/homepage/1883-rapists-are-allowed-child-custody-rights-in-31-states

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/22/1123187/-31-States-Give-Rapists-Rights-to-Child

31 States Allow Rapists Custody and Visitation Rights

In the wake of Todd Akin's comments about pregnancy rarely resulting from "legitimate rape," lawyer Shauna Prewitt highlights a reality for women in that situation in a column on CNN: In a majority of states, attackers are afforded the same rights as other fathers.

Prewitt, herself a rape survivor who gave birth to a daughter as a result of her attack, explains that 31 states have no laws that bar rapists from seeking custody or visitation rights. For Prewitt that astounding fact is personal. Her rapist attempted to get custody of her daughter, "but thankfully I got lucky and his visitation rights were terminated," she said, according to a profile of her by The Am Law Daily's Brain Baxter. She added: "I'm not sure I would have made the decision I did had I known I might be tethered to my rapist for the rest of my life."

In a paper published in the The Georgetown Law Journal in 2010 — when the number of states without such laws were even greater — Prewitt argued that the absence "stems from the images and other societal rhetoric that depict the prototypical raped woman as hating her unborn child and as viewing her rape pregnancy as continuing her rape trauma." In her CNN piece, she blames it on "ignorance": Some believe that women don't raise children conceived from rape, others can't fathom a rapist wanting parental rights.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2012/08/31-states-grant-rapists-custody-and-visitation-rights/56118/

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:22 PM

18. That is just so disgusting

I can't even wrap my head around it. How can any intelligent woman even THINK of voting for these horrible people???

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 06:07 PM

26. How can he hold a job

If the poor man was accused of rape.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:02 PM

16. Once again, "prophet" George Carlin has predicted this shit

These Republicans are fucking sick.

Reply to this post

Response to sakabatou (Reply #16)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:23 PM

19. Carlin was a national treasure. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Mad_Dem_X (Reply #19)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:57 PM

24. Perhaps he should be made into a wax figure a la Madame Tussauds?

Reply to this post

Response to sakabatou (Reply #16)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:39 PM

21. "when it's us, it's abortion;

when it's a chicken, it's an omelet"

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:04 PM

17. This IS the Rapepublican Party.

Shut up and do as you are ordered.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:26 PM

20. And with that the GOP has officially gone full caveman.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 05:55 PM

23. it certainly does't close the ignoence gap...

"Rubio’s defense suggests that pregnant women are not human beings, otherwise why are they leaving out life of the mother as an exception? "

Of course he did not say pregnant women are not human, BUT how can these people keep dismissing women from the argument and NOT mean that women are not human? At the very least, it says that women are not worth the argument.

Stupid, simple minded, bigots is the only definition of most of the GOP, tea party... associates in idiocy.

And as for mistakes in verbal judgement... To make so many "errors" in their public statements is statistically improbable... or they are extremely verbally incompetent as well...

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 06:00 PM

25. So let him fuck a chimp.

nt

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 27, 2012, 01:03 AM

27. What have I been telling you guys?

The GOP doesn't "hate" women. They just don't consider them human. (just posted this statement in another thread & posted it here yesterday, too).

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 27, 2012, 07:23 AM

28. K&R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread