HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fuck off with this bizarr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 09:45 PM

Fuck off with this bizarro "Clinton as VP in 2012!" meme.

The White House has said many times that President Obama will be sticking with Joe Biden as his vice presidential running mate.

And why shouldn't he? Joseph Biden is doing an excellent job as vice president.

Not even superdelegates could force the President to do otherwise so give it up. You might as well be demanding he drop Biden and replace him with Dennis Kucinich.

See how silly that sounds?

So drop it.

A few months ago, six months ago? Whatever, I don't care.

Now? It's weird and borders on something desperate or delusional.

And if our President does not win the 2012 election, anyone who suggests it was because he didn't take Hillary Clinton as his VP can also fuck off. I'd normally put a "Fuck OFF" like that on layway until November but I can more than see it coming to pass here.

PB

31 replies, 2981 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 31 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fuck off with this bizarro "Clinton as VP in 2012!" meme. (Original post)
Poll_Blind Aug 2012 OP
freshwest Aug 2012 #1
enlightenment Aug 2012 #2
WI_DEM Aug 2012 #3
gateley Aug 2012 #4
MADem Aug 2012 #5
Taverner Aug 2012 #8
MADem Aug 2012 #9
Capn Sunshine Aug 2012 #14
MADem Aug 2012 #17
muriel_volestrangler Aug 2012 #21
MADem Aug 2012 #23
muriel_volestrangler Aug 2012 #25
MADem Aug 2012 #27
Ohio Joe Aug 2012 #6
Taverner Aug 2012 #7
Blanks Aug 2012 #10
Jennicut Aug 2012 #11
Poll_Blind Aug 2012 #15
Swede Atlanta Aug 2012 #12
Skip Intro Aug 2012 #13
jeff47 Aug 2012 #16
Motown_Johnny Aug 2012 #18
Proud Liberal Dem Aug 2012 #19
backscatter712 Aug 2012 #20
MADem Aug 2012 #29
backscatter712 Aug 2012 #31
Wounded Bear Aug 2012 #22
hifiguy Aug 2012 #24
Atman Aug 2012 #26
still_one Aug 2012 #28
Frank Cannon Aug 2012 #30

Response to Poll_Blind (Original post)

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 09:57 PM

1. It's not 2008. That's gone. It'll be okay.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 10:00 PM

2. Glad you had a chance to vent your spleen.

Having those bad humours building up is bad for the system.

Hope you feel better, having told us all what to think and how to behave.

And by the way - I have no idea what you're talking about, since I don't much bother with speculative threads. Clicked on this because your post title suggested you were extremely upset about something and it just didn't make sense.

It still doesn't - but I hope you feel better now.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 10:21 PM

3. I've only seen one misguided post on that subject

Biden has done a good job and Obama is doing well he doesn't need to change partners. I agree the GOP would say he was desperate if he did--and he isn't.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 10:44 PM

4. I think Obama is SO happy he chose Biden, and I doubt the thought ever crossed this mind to replace

him.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:06 PM

5. Who's talking about that lately? Eons ago, I heard the speculation shopped when Clinton made it

clear that she wasn't going to do "the full eight" at State.

The only reason and/or time that might happen is if both parties (Biden and Clinton) thought it would be a fine idea.

It also wouldn't happen--in the unlikely event that my first conditional statement was met--until after the election.

You'd want a Democratic Senate to smooth the path, too.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #5)

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:27 PM

8. Just a couple RW harpies

Meghan McCain for one...

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #8)

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:33 PM

9. Meghan McCain isn't a harpie. She's just a young moderate who respects her Dad and has discovered

that she can turn trash into treasure and increase her own brand recognition by appearing to be a "reasonable Republican."

When the GOP crashes and burns, as it will, eventually, she will be well positioned to rise, like an Arizona Phoenix, from the ashes of the organization and perhaps lead them down a path where reason isn't outlawed.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #9)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:40 AM

14. I assume she will be riding a pink unicorn

Every time you think the GOP is dead they come back weirder than before. After this coming crash and burn, Meghan might consider joining the other side. Like Arianna.

Reply to this post

Response to Capn Sunshine (Reply #14)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 11:17 AM

17. Who knows--maybe she'll rename it the Pink Unicorn Party.

I wouldn't go with "every time" for anything. The Democratic Party remade itself from a party of working class racists to a party that was much more inclusive and focused not just on working/middle class people, but social justice, the safety net, education, etc. Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, Ronald Reagan, Trent Lott...what do they all have in common? They started out as Democrats! The Southern Strategy flipped a LOT of people OUT of the Democratic Party...who's to say that a seismic shift in the GOP won't flip a lot of people--like the dinosaur riders--out of the GOP?

I don't think the GOP is hurting enough for a total remake, at least not yet, but within the next twenty years, who knows? They've got to do something--they've been on a Very Wrong Track for the longest time, and it is (mercifully) starting to affect their ability to win elections.

I'm watching Melissa Harris Perry right now, and she's asking the question "Is the GOP convention just a 'show' for 2016?" with the Nicki Haley/Marco Rubio/Bobby Jindal "Down With the Brown" GOP convention speeches--her thesis is that the GOP is getting away from the race-baiting stuff because it's not working anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #21)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:42 PM

23. I think HRC is da bomb, as the kids used to say, but I just don't see this happening UNLESS

she wants to do it and Biden has a super-strong urge to play in the diplomacy pool.

I think everyone's comfy where they're at right now.

Also, it is far too late to shop this--the time to do it as a "ticket mover" was two years ago--to make the switch and put HRC on the bumper stickers.

That all said, if there was some super secret plan to put HRC in the VP slot (filed next to the cell assignment in Gitmo for Assange, perhaps--and yes, that was a joke), they'd be fools to break it out now--the time to do it is after the B and B ticket has won another term.

And of course, you'd need a Dem Senate to put the imprimatur on it!

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #23)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 01:15 PM

25. Yes, far too late for any change

Any change this late would look like a disaster, as I said in the 2nd thread. I never got an explanation from the thread starter for their reasoning beyond "everyone would love it!!!".

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #25)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 01:44 PM

27. HRC is a lightning rod to the right. She represents so many things they are not,

like intelligence, a nuanced world view, inclusiveness, and of course, she's a woman who is strongly in favor of the empowerment of others of her gender (unlike the GOP women, who take the "I'm a special one so I get to play with the lads" attitude towards their achievements).

I think it's best we leave all the "disaster" politics on the right for now! That lyin' Ryan was one example, Birther Mitt, another... and the hits just keep on coming!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:25 PM

6. K&R - nt

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:26 PM

7. I Like Biden

He's a fucking great VP!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:40 PM

10. I saw Bill Clinton in an interview several months ago...

...an interviewer suggested it to him (I think Gingrich was floating the idea at the time.

Bill busted a gut. He knew what they were trying to do. They're trying to establish a rift in the party.

It ain't gonna happen. The rift that is.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:42 PM

11. I hear ya.

And I do like Hillary. But I loved Biden the moment Obama selected him. He is the most down to earth, regular person in this election. And I respect Obama's decision to keep him as VP.

You know, it is not Dems that want this. It's Repubs who pushed this to try and create friction in the White House. Of course it is not working. Obama knows what he is doing. The Repub idiots also forgot that Hill and Joe have been good friends for years, since Bill Clinton was President.

Reply to this post

Response to Jennicut (Reply #11)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:42 AM

15. "He is the most down to earth, regular person in this election." Amen. nt

PB

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:43 PM

12. Joe Biden will be the Democratic V.P. candidate

Stop the crap with calling for Clinton for V.P. She is not a candidate and would not accept.

She has been a terrific Secy. of State. Let's let her continue in that role. If she has the moxie to run in 2016 in her own right she will do so.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:43 PM

13. Now that's some Dramatic Underground

Come on, that's funny.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 03:21 AM

16. Why would she want to?

Secretary of State is a far more important and powerful position. As long as the President doesn't die.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 11:23 AM

18. I believe it to be an attempt to get former PUMAs to not turn out to vote.

It is an insane thought and can think of no other possible explanation.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 11:30 AM

19. Getting tired of this meme too

I love Hillary and believed that she would've been good for a 2008 "unity" ticket but it didn't happen then and it's not.gonna.happen now either. I certainly would NOT do it if the Republicans say it's a "good idea" either.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 11:41 AM

20. This looks like PUMA astroturfing to me as well.

Just tell them "concern noted" and move on.

Reply to this post

Response to backscatter712 (Reply #20)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 02:03 PM

29. I do not agree with that one bit. It looks like a lame GOP effort to

divide the party, if anything. At the most, it's silliness--an effort by MSM hangers-on to create a sense of a horse-race in an election that has Mister Cool running against Mister Asshole. It's overwhelmingly unlikely, UNLESS Biden harbored a secret desire to be the SecState. Clinton has said she's done. If it did happen--and this is, as I said, overwhelmingly unlikely, it wouldn't happen until after the election--it would be an appointment, not a "name on the bumper sticker" drill.

That "PUMA" meme is a tired old thing and no longer valid. How could anyone continue on with it when the object of the PUMA support is the ranking member, the first among equals, the first Cabinet member in the line of succession, in the President's cabinet?

Finally, check yer calenders-- we're double digits away from election day. It's right around the corner.

It's just a silly thought floated, in an effort to try to stir the pot--a pathetic, GOP worm on a rusty old hook.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #29)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 03:53 PM

31. I think you've got a valid point.

Everyone on our side of the aisle has moved on from the Obama Clinton fight, especially the Obamas and the Clintons.

So yeah, it's probably GOP shit-stirring behind any effort to start that fight again.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:09 PM

22. I don't want to join the thought police.......

but the idea of Hillary replacing Joe at VP is silly.

IMHO, BOTH are doing pretty decent jobs right where they are. I guess Hillary has said she only wants to do 4 years at State, and I respect that. Joe has made no noises that I've heard that he wants to retire soon. He pisses off the Repubs. It's part of his job and he's good at it.

However, moving Hillary to VP would help the Repubs far more than it would help the Dems. No need to tickle the anti-Clinton sentiment on that side of the aisle. The last thing we need to do is motivate more Repub crazies to vote this cycle.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:55 PM

24. Kick for Joe.

He is a great asset to the ticket and to the POTUS.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 01:20 PM

26. Another kick for Joe B

I think he's doing a great job. People might laugh at his gaffs, but more people genuinely HATE Hillary Clinton. There is nothing to be gained by replacing Joe.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 01:51 PM

28. The only one i heard saying this was mccain and the repugs.

I have not heard any Democrats proposing it, so I assume this is a repuke talking point

I doubt Hillary would want it at this point

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #28)

Sat Aug 25, 2012, 02:09 PM

30. I agree. This is total bullshit.

Far be it from me to call on OP'er out on his/her motives, but this is ridiculous.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread