HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » World must brace for high...

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 11:52 AM

World must brace for higher food prices, experts say

With drought parching farms in the United States and near the Black Sea, weak monsoon rains in India and insidious hunger in Africa's Sahel region, the world could be headed towards another food crisis, experts say.

Asia should keep a catastrophe at bay with a strong rice harvest while the G20 group of industrialized and emerging economies tries to parry the main threat, soaring food prices.

"We have had quite a few climate events this year that will lead to very poor harvests, notably in the United States with corn or in Russia with soja," warned Philippe Pinta of the French farmers federation FNSEA.

"That will create price pressures similar to what we saw in 2007-2008," he added in reference to the last global food alert, when wheat and rice prices nearly doubled.

http://www.france24.com/en/20120819-world-must-brace-higher-food-prices-experts-say

5 replies, 839 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply World must brace for higher food prices, experts say (Original post)
FarCenter Aug 2012 OP
orpupilofnature57 Aug 2012 #1
RebelOne Aug 2012 #4
jwirr Aug 2012 #2
orpupilofnature57 Aug 2012 #5
Pachamama Aug 2012 #3

Response to FarCenter (Original post)

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:00 PM

1. I saw it an hour ago shopping ,Selfish imp

that I am I'm glad it's just the two of us ,because I don't know how the hell people can feed a Family.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to orpupilofnature57 (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:31 PM

4. I am fortunate that I have only myself and 2 small dogs to feed,

and I am always on a diet and do not eat meat. But whenever I go to the supermarket, the prices have jumped on items that I usually buy. I am now starting to buy only the store brands.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:14 PM

2. I am astounded at the price of fruit which I eat a lot of. I know some of it is the transportation

costs, and even labor shortages what with the issues about immigration but I think most of it is shortages due to the weather.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 01:06 PM

5. Luckily we have a ton of farmers markets in up-state NY

in the summer ,but winters make up for it.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:26 PM

3. I keep wondering how long I can get $.99 per lbs pasta at Trader Joes & $.19 bananas....

Deals like those are what help keep people going.....

But as much as I have become the bargain shopper and look at what something costs per oz/lbs, i notice how the prices have been jumping even more lately and I am sad to say is going to get worse....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread