HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This has been going on Do...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 01:43 PM

This has been going on Down Under for a while

Last edited Thu Oct 18, 2012, 11:48 PM - Edit history (4)

Here's a DU thread on the subject from 2005:

Air New Zealand and Qantas have...come under fire for the policy that critics say is political correctness gone mad after a man revealed he was ordered to change seats during a Qantas flight because he was sitting next to a young boy travelling alone.

...(A)n air steward approached him after take-off...and told him to change seats with a woman sitting two rows in front. The steward said it was the airline's policy that only women were allowed to sit next to unaccompanied children. "At the time I was so gobsmacked that I moved. I was so embarrassed and just stewed on it for the entire flight..."

Women should find this policy to be equally offensive and discriminatory -- how dare you presume to conscript me into impromptu baby-sitting duty just because I'm a woman! And may I point out that I might be a pedophile myself?

If the airlines really cared about the safety of unaccompanied minors, they'd seat them where the flight attendants could take turns sitting with them, even if it means sending an extra one along...oops, unless the policy discriminates against MALE flight attendants, too! But even that would be better than the airlines "depending on the kindness of (female) strangers!"

P.S. Why does this always happen AFTER takeoff? Shouldn't the flight attendants know where their unaccompanied minors are sitting beforehand?

rocktivity

1 replies, views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread