HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » In Case You Missed This.....

Mon Aug 13, 2012, 06:34 PM

In Case You Missed This... 'Romney’s Death Squad Ties' - Amy Goodman/DemocracyNow

Romney’s Death Squad Ties: Bain Launched With Millions From Oligarchs Behind Salvadoran Atrocities
Amy Goodman - DemocracyNow
FRIDAY, AUGUST 10, 2012

<snip>

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is facing new scrutiny over revelations he founded the private equity firm Bain Capital with investments from Central American elites linked to death squads in El Salvador. After initially struggling to find investors, Romney traveled to Miami in 1983 to win pledges of $9 million, 40 percent of Bain’s start-up money. Some investors had extensive ties to the death squads responsible for the vast majority of the tens of thousands of deaths in El Salvador during the 1980s. We’re joined by Huffington Post reporter Ryan Grim, who connects the dots in his latest story, "Mitt Romney Started Bain Capital With Money From Families Tied To Death Squads." "There’s no possible way that anybody in 1984 could check out these families — which was the term that used — and come away convinced that this money was clean," Grim says. <Includes rush transcript>

AMY GOODMAN: We begin today with new scrutiny Republican candidate Mitt Romney is facing about his record at the private equity firm Bain Capital. The latest controversy surrounding Bain concerns how Romney helped found the company with investments from Central American elites linked to death squads in El Salvador. After initially struggling to find investors, Romney traveled to Miami in 1983 to win pledges of $9 million, 40% of Bain’s start up money. Some investors had extensive ties to the death squads responsible for the vast majority of the tens of thousands of deaths in El Salvador beginning during the 1980’s. The investors include the Salaverria family, whose former U.S. Ambassador to El Salvador, Robert White, has previously accused of directly funding the Salvadorian paramilitaries. In his memoir, former Bain executive Harry Strachan writes, "Romney pushed aside his own misgivings about the investors to accept their backing." Strachan writes, "These Latin American friends have loyally rolled over investments in succeeding funds, actively participated in Bain Capital’s May investor meetings and are still today one of the largest investor groups in Bain Capital." For more, we’re joined by Ryan Grim, Bureau Chief for The Huffington Post . He’s connecting the dots in the latest story headlined, "Mitt Romney Started Bain Capital With Money From Families Tied To Death Squads". Ryan, welcome to Democracy Now! If you could carefully laid out the story, and set the stage in El Salvador in the early 1980’s, what was happening there, the carnage.

RYAN GRIM: Sure. In 1980, there was land reform instituted by the El Salvadoran government that started to parcel up some of the farms, some of the coffee plantations, and the other land holdings of the elite, and they also nationalized the international coffee trade, so they did not nationalize the industry, but just the foreign export of it. So, the oligarchs responded with a vicious and a brutal campaign that included death squads and in the first year or two, killed something like 35,000 people. Over a decade, killed about 70,000 people. The U.N. has since calculated about 85% of the killing was done by these right-wing death squads, so this is not one of those dirty wars where both sides were equally culpable. The leader of this movement, Roberto D’Aubuisson was very public about his support of death squads and that death squads were an important part of what they were doing. He would actually say that the purpose of the death squads was ultimately to diminish violence, because if you could go into a village and go into a couple houses and kill everyone in there, then it would send a message to the rest of the village that they shouldn’t join the village, and therefore there would be less of an uprising and the death squads would not have to kill everyone. That was the kind of macabre logic that lasted for slightly more than a decade in El Salvador.

<And...>

AMY GOODMAN: You quote Robert White saying, "The Salaverria family was very well known." Robert White was the U.S. Ambassador to El Salvador. "The Salaverria family was very well known as backers of D’Abussion these guys big money contributors, they were total backers of D’Abuisson including death squads." And I wanted to read an excerpt from Greg Grandin’s book, "Empire’s Workshop." He is a professor of Latin American history at New York University. He writes, "The problem was that the military groups had very little popular support due in large part to the fact that they were 'preternaturally violent.' According to Reagan’s own ambassador, Robert White, their solution to the crisis 'was apocalyptic: the country must be ’destroyed totally, the economy must be wrecked, unemployment must be massive,' and a 'cleansing' of some '3 or 4 or 500,000 people' must be carried out," he says. And he his quoting Robert White. Ryan Grim?

More (w/Video): http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/10/romneys_death_squad_ties_bain_launched

The Ryan Grimm piece: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/mitt-romney-death-squads-bain_n_1710133.html

14 replies, 1214 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply In Case You Missed This... 'Romney’s Death Squad Ties' - Amy Goodman/DemocracyNow (Original post)
WillyT Aug 2012 OP
Egalitarian Thug Aug 2012 #1
WillyT Aug 2012 #2
WillyT Aug 2012 #3
Egalitarian Thug Aug 2012 #4
WillyT Aug 2012 #5
a la izquierda Aug 2012 #8
Egalitarian Thug Aug 2012 #13
a la izquierda Aug 2012 #14
WillyT Aug 2012 #6
Rhiannon12866 Aug 2012 #7
rbrnmw Aug 2012 #9
Egalitarian Thug Aug 2012 #10
WorseBeforeBetter Aug 2012 #11
aint_no_life_nowhere Aug 2012 #12

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Mon Aug 13, 2012, 06:38 PM

1. K&R. Thanks for posting. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 13, 2012, 07:13 PM

2. You Are Quite Welcome !!!

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 13, 2012, 08:52 PM

3. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 13, 2012, 10:36 PM

4. I guess that, while this is factual, it is "too torrid" for the conservadems. n/t

I like

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #4)

Mon Aug 13, 2012, 10:47 PM

5. Yeah... But For You And Me, And Anyone Else Politically Aware During The 1980's...

This is fucking amazing.

And THIS GUY... I Remember well.

Major Roberto D'Aubuisson, Salvadoran politician

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_D'Aubuisson

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #4)

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 07:25 AM

8. It's too torrid for most people.

Nobody in this country wants to acknowledge what the US did to Latin America between 1954 and 1992 (well, really 1996, but who's counting?). Because that would be to acknowledge some truly atrocious, horrible things that occurred under Democratic and Republican administrations. Even Carter, the champion of human rights, looked the other way while Somoza brutally oppressed his people. And don't get me wrong, Carter eventually came around, unlike all of the Republicans, who did much, much worse.

My students-college students- have no idea about any of this. Unless, that is, they come from other nations. American students, by and large, are never taught this stuff. I didn't learn it until college, and it brought back vague memories of being a young kid in the '80s and watching terrible things on the news with my parents.

Reply to this post

Response to a la izquierda (Reply #8)

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 03:59 AM

13. On the whole we refuse to acknowledge any of the carnage and suffering we've imposed around

the world since 5 minutes after we won our own independence. Genocide at home and abroad, brought to you by American Business Interests.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #13)

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 06:51 AM

14. You're right.

You should see the reactions on my students' faces. Mostly pure shock (I teach in Ohio and my students are sharp, mostly politically interested kids).
One asked me, at the end of the semester, "Professor ___, why are you always so bummed out nowadays?" My response: "This is the time of the semester when I have to tell you all about dirty wars, fear, massacres, deaths of children, and rapes of women. Perpetrated by men who were afraid and men who wanted control. It's only human to be depressed by this."

And then they realize the tangled web, and how the US was involved. And it's like I've set their faces to stunned. When I taught in a conservative state, I had to arm myself with documents. Here, all I do is point my web browser to : gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/ and I have all I need.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 12:42 AM

6. Last Kick From Me...

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 03:51 AM

7. K&R! Important story...

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 07:31 AM

9. k&r

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 09:55 AM

10. West coast kick. Put "Rmoney Sex Scandal!" in the title next time, Willy n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 03:18 PM

11. Kicking, because this site needs more Amy Goodman. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 03:21 PM

12. I would have missed it had I not seen Amy Goodman's exposé

I haven't seen this story reported anywhere else on TV, however.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread