HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Neil Barofsky: U.S. 'Pret...

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 07:58 PM

Neil Barofsky: U.S. 'Pretty Fucked'

Neil Barofsky: U.S. 'Pretty Fucked'
The Huffington Post | By James Sunshine
Posted: 08/07/2012 5:51 pm Updated: 08/07/2012 6:10 pm

<snip>

Neil Barofsky, the former Inspector General of the Troubled Asset Relief Fund, can sum up the state of the nation in two words: "Pretty fucked."

The concise assessment came Tuesday during a question and answer session on Gawker in which a commenter asked: "So we're just totally fucked, right? As citizens, like no-way-out fucked?" The former bailout watchdog, who is currently promoting his new book Bailout, went political with his message.

"We need to convince those seeking or trying to retain power that they will not get our votes unless and until they commit to meaningful change of a financial system," he wrote in the Q&A.

With his f-bomb, Barofsky joins Christina Romer in the cursing hall of fame. Romer, the former chair of President Obama's Council of Economic Advisers, told Bill Maher last year that the U.S. was "pretty darned fucked" on the night that Standard and Poor's downgraded the country's credit rating.

Another Washington official known for his testy language? None other than Tim "I have been the most fucking transparent secretary of the Treasury in this country's entire fucking history!" Geithner, the man that Barofsky argued earlier in the day was pushing certain policies in a shallow attempt at "political posturing."

<snip>

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/neil-barofsky-were-fucked_n_1753163.html

The Gawker piece: http://gawker.com/neil-barofsky/

18 replies, 2866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Neil Barofsky: U.S. 'Pretty Fucked' (Original post)
WillyT Aug 2012 OP
MannyGoldstein Aug 2012 #1
woo me with science Aug 2012 #2
Junkdrawer Aug 2012 #4
dixiegrrrrl Aug 2012 #5
Quantess Aug 2012 #13
dixiegrrrrl Aug 2012 #16
limpyhobbler Aug 2012 #6
Brainwashed Consumer Aug 2012 #17
Ruby the Liberal Aug 2012 #18
Junkdrawer Aug 2012 #3
Overseas Aug 2012 #7
Jessy169 Aug 2012 #8
jtuck004 Aug 2012 #9
WillyT Aug 2012 #10
jtuck004 Aug 2012 #12
bhikkhu Aug 2012 #11
xchrom Aug 2012 #14
Egalitarian Thug Aug 2012 #15

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 08:05 PM

1. I wonder what the Third Way has to say about this?

I suspect they won't be responding to this particular OP.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 08:11 PM

2. We are fucked because we are passive.

There is more than enough money to meet our needs and build a more humane society. We are fucked because we accept the lies of the one percent and their purchased politicians about what is possible and what isn't, what is important and what isn't. We are fucked because we allow this warmongering, this stripping of our rights and pouring of tax dollars into a police state to keep *us* under control, and this brazen diversion of our wealth into bloody empire building and the pockets of the obscenely rich.

We are fucked because we accept this garbage, and because we respond like lemmings to their lies, blaming and turning on each other instead of putting the blame where it actually belongs.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #2)

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 08:16 PM

4. High unemployment has made us a Nation of Toadies....

Anyone who dares mention the Emperor is Naked finds themselves on the outside. The overworked few that remain get the message fast.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 08:38 PM

5. and because THIS works:

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 11:59 AM

13. Good one!

Reply to this post

Response to Quantess (Reply #13)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 12:26 PM

16. Stole that from another DU post....

can't remember whose, so can't give credit where it's due.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 09:10 PM

6. right on.

Reply to this post

Response to Brainwashed Consumer (Reply #17)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 05:42 PM

18. What dictatorship?

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 08:13 PM

3. For a nation who used to be proud of our capacity for change....

The only change we want to make is who gets to watchdog our bedrooms.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 10:22 PM

7. K&R. Yes please!

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 10:37 PM

8. Shock effect is all that will get people's attention

The wealthy elites are very, very good at controlling the population. They are at their command consoles 24/7, pushing buttons, pulling levers and running the show just how they see fit -- at least, that's the way it feels sometimes. It is going to take something drastic to change the game, I believe. Too many people in positions of power are bought off.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 10:38 PM

9. I'm more offended by increasing poverty, not enough jobs, too much murder,

too many kids not eating and learning. I'm concerned that barring any change tens of millions of people will be finding out that the social security and medicare they were promised will not be delivered as they expected, (reference Neil Barofsky, above - "pretty fucked" - that's what that means), that the 15 million additional loans that are underwater today will result in foreclosure and more weakness in housing and retirement and city/state budgets, that pensions will not be paid, that 401(K)s and even cash accounts may barely yield enough to stay ahead of utter poverty, and may not. And we are still funding the fraudulent behavior of investment banks with billions of dollars in cheap money every year, money that could be used to create opportunity and security for the country.

And this person writes a People magazine piece about saying fuck. Thanks for the focus on the important there James.

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #9)

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 10:47 PM

10. Um... James Linked To The Original Piece In His Piece, As Did I In My Op... Here It Is Again...

<snip>

Neil Barofsky was at the very center of the U.S. government's response to the 2008 economic collapse. He spent more than two years, until March of 2011, as Special Inspector General for the TARP program, overseeing and monitoring government bailout funds. Now, Barofsky has written a ferocious book detailing how, he says, "Washington abandoned Main Street While Rescuing Wall Street." And he's here to take questions from you, the Main Streeters.

From Bailout:

I now realize that the American people should lose faith in their government. They should deplore the captured politicians and regulators who took their taxpayer dollars and distributed them to the banks without insisting that they be accountable for how they were spent. They should be revolted by a financial system that rewards failure and protects the fortunes of those who drove the system to the point of collapse and will undoubtedly do so again. They should be enraged by the broken promises to Main Street and the unending protection of Wall Street. Because only with this appropriate and justified rage can we sow the seeds for the types of reform that will one day break our system free from the corrupting grasp of the megabanks. It is my own anger that compelled me to write this book.

<snip>

Link: http://gawker.com/neil-barofsky/

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #10)

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 11:42 PM

12. I know, but the pictures of govt officials saying fuck got top billing. Maybe

if the other story had some pictures of homeless seniors and hungry kids. It could have been first, though, curiously, really giving people a good economic screwing doesn't seem to incite the same level of faux moral outrage that saying fuck does.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 7, 2012, 10:48 PM

11. Note - those would be the meaningful changes blocked by repugs in congress

as in, the full implementation of the Dodd-Frank bill, applying the Volker Rule, and a list of things that didn't make it into the bill, but should be ready to get done if we don't elect another bunch of asshat Republicans to congress.

Which we probably will do; ironically, they use the same line - "the US is totally fucked!", but when they say it they don't mean that good legislation can't get passed, they mean that a Black Muslim Kenyan somehow became the president and nothing will ever be right again.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 12:04 PM

14. Du rec. Nt

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 12:07 PM

15. "Nobody could've predicted..." except of course, for all those people that

did and were shut out of the conversation. How many times are we going to accept, or even listen to, the thieves in power? Are we really going to have to let everything get as bad as it can get before we wake up?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread