HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Remember 'The Corner' on ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Aug 6, 2012, 07:55 PM

Remember 'The Corner' on HBO? One of its real-life characters has died

If you never saw it, 'The Corner' was a David Simon miniseries about travails of a black family in Baltimore. It covered a lot of the same ground as 'The Wire' and (I assume) its success led to HBO greenlighting that show.

I remember watching it back when it aired and what really stuck with me was the terrible toll that drugs can take on people. It centered on a couple and their child, DeAndre. If I remember correctly, back in the 80s the parents liked to party, but they had good jobs, made decent money, and had a nice home. But they both got hooked on cocaine and it ended up completely destroying their lives. The mother finally got clean, but the father ended up dying on the streets in the 1990s. DeAndre turned to dealing drugs as a teenager and became an addict himself.

Apparently DeAndre was never able to stay clean and was recently wanted in connection with the robbery of a pharmacy in Baltimore. He died of an apparent overdose before the police caught up to him.

Very sad stuff. While I personally support legalizing most drugs, it's important to bear in mind that doing so is not a panacea to the social ills surrounding drug culture. The drugs themselves are very much at the heart of the problem. A combination of legal reform and increased support for treatment is the way to go, IMO.

http://davidsimon.com/deandre-mccullough-1977-2012/

2 replies, 2063 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Remember 'The Corner' on HBO? One of its real-life characters has died (Original post)
RZM Aug 2012 OP
Blue_In_AK Aug 2012 #1
AnnieBW Aug 2012 #2

Response to RZM (Original post)

Mon Aug 6, 2012, 07:57 PM

1. Oh, that's very sad.

I do remember that show and liked it very much.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RZM (Original post)

Mon Aug 6, 2012, 11:31 PM

2. One of my friends was in "The Corner"

One of my friends had a bit part in "The Corner". He was the guy with the tracheotomy - which was real.

Such a shame. There's a lot of Baltimore that's really messed up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread