HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sikhs seek peace. Whoeve...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 03:51 PM

Sikhs seek peace. Whoever did this does not understand them.

The guiding principles of the Sikh faith are Truth, Equality, Freedom, Justice, and Karma.

Today, we are all Sikhs.

The violence must stop.

37 replies, 4270 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 37 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sikhs seek peace. Whoever did this does not understand them. (Original post)
stevedeshazer Aug 2012 OP
TheCowsCameHome Aug 2012 #1
Fumesucker Aug 2012 #2
kestrel91316 Aug 2012 #5
totodeinhere Aug 2012 #11
totodeinhere Aug 2012 #12
kestrel91316 Aug 2012 #3
Posteritatis Aug 2012 #8
kestrel91316 Aug 2012 #10
movingviolation Aug 2012 #15
Lydia Leftcoast Aug 2012 #19
stevedeshazer Aug 2012 #29
Fire Walk With Me Aug 2012 #4
Avalux Aug 2012 #6
unc70 Aug 2012 #16
aquart Aug 2012 #26
kestrel91316 Aug 2012 #20
Flatulo Aug 2012 #24
aquart Aug 2012 #27
Lone_Star_Dem Aug 2012 #7
stevedeshazer Aug 2012 #9
malthaussen Aug 2012 #13
Jessy169 Aug 2012 #14
laundry_queen Aug 2012 #17
azurnoir Aug 2012 #22
stevedeshazer Aug 2012 #30
mckara Aug 2012 #18
patrice Aug 2012 #21
Enrique Aug 2012 #23
Spitfire of ATJ Aug 2012 #25
stevedeshazer Aug 2012 #31
eShirl Aug 2012 #33
Spitfire of ATJ Aug 2012 #34
JI7 Aug 2012 #28
scheming daemons Aug 2012 #32
Butterbean Aug 2012 #35
Warren Stupidity Aug 2012 #36
HappyMe Aug 2012 #37

Response to stevedeshazer (Original post)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 03:58 PM

1. Understand them or not,

some cowardly monster with a gun thought he knew everything.

And more innocents have died.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:00 PM

2. Plenty of people would see that philosophy as threatening..

I know several of them to my great misfortune..

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:03 PM

5. Lots of fundie christians (Bachmann and Palin among them) consider

Sikhs and anything else not christian to be SATAN WORSHIPPERS. They also consider them to not actually be practicing a "real" religion, so the First Amendment doesn't apply to them.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #5)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:56 PM

11. Is there any information yet on who the shooter was?

We need to be careful about blaming fundie Christians for this until we get more information. This reminds me of the Colorado shooting when at first it was reported that a Tea Party member did it, but we found out later that the shooter had nothing to do with the Tea Party.

Reply to this post

Response to totodeinhere (Reply #11)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:59 PM

12. OK reports are that it was a white male in his 30s.

But we still need more information before jumping to any conclusions. Was it a hate crime or was the gunman mentally ill or was there some other motivation?

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:01 PM

3. They are brown, speak with funny accents, and wear turbans, therefore

they are mooslim terraists.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:09 PM

8. That's probably the reasoning, yeah. This isn't the first such instance. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to Posteritatis (Reply #8)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:19 PM

10. This guy probably cheered the murder-by-mistaken-identity

of a Sikh after 9-11. Dumb fucks.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:16 PM

15. That's what came to my mind,

Some toothless tea billy hopped up on fox snooze doesn't know the difference between a peaceful Sikh or Muslim and a fundamentalist extremist. To them they're all terr'ists.Of course, we seem to have our very own homegrown terrorists, and I'm guessing this dude was such.Some people only have to look in the mirror to find the true "terr'ists."

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:35 PM

19. Yes, it's the turbans--a lot of people think that anyone who wears a turban is an Arab, and

therefore a Muslim, and therefore a terrorist, according to wingnut logic.

But not everyone who wears a turban is an Arab, and not every Arab is Muslim, and not every Muslim is a terrorist.

Reply to this post

Response to Lydia Leftcoast (Reply #19)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 07:18 PM

29. You are correct as usual. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:01 PM

4. Kick.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:05 PM

6. The sad fact is, if they're not Christian, they're the enemy to some in this country.

It doesn't matter to them if Sikhs are peaceful, they don't care and won't bother to understand.

I'm making an assumption about the motivation....but no one can deny that this country's politics and media breed intorance and that there's a portion of our society who are narrow-minded, so-called christians, afraid of anything different than them and what they believe.

Reply to this post

Response to Avalux (Reply #6)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:21 PM

16. "Christians" who believe Mosaic Law apply

The problem with Christianity is with those who believe that the Mosaic Law applies to anyone except to Jews. It applied to Jesus, the observant Jew, until his death. It can never apply to Gentiles by the very nature of the covenant.

The Roman Church and later Calvin should get much of the "credit" for making this hateful mess.

(My humble opinion as a New Covenant follower of the teachings of Jesus.)

Reply to this post

Response to unc70 (Reply #16)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 06:44 PM

26. Again, Christians should be kept away from the OT.

They don't know how to read it. It addles their wits. Somebody reported me for being an anti-Christian bigot for saying this the other day. As if all properly observant Christians want to murder non-Christians.

I know the NT seems bland and boring, but the blood-soaked OT is not for you, Oh followers of the Turn-the-other-cheek guy.

Reply to this post

Response to Avalux (Reply #6)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:51 PM

20. Hell, fundie christians hate and would gladly kill any christians who don't think and act just

like them.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #20)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 06:09 PM

24. That's about as true as saying that all Muslims are terrorists.

Ive known quite a few fundies and they were all as peaceful as napping cats.

About the only annoyance was their praying for my heathen soul.

On edit: I'm pretty sure you didnt mean every single fundie Christian, but yeah, they are particularly persistent in their confidence that every other living being on the planet is going to burn in hell for all eternity. But I find most religions hold this belief.

Reply to this post

Response to Flatulo (Reply #24)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 06:46 PM

27. Yup.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:05 PM

7. Yes, but that is immaterial really.

This is America. We theoretically have aright to worship how we choose and what we choose. Even if this would have been an attack against any other religion, it would have been just as wrong.

Which is what makes Bachmann, and her cohorts, singling out the Muslims all the more reprehensible.

Reply to this post

Response to Lone_Star_Dem (Reply #7)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 04:16 PM

9. True.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:09 PM

13. People who randomly murder other people

... understand little and care less.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:13 PM

14. We're on track for a RECORD year of mass killings

Five more months to go, and we've already matched the record for most mass shootings in a year, I believe.

Add another one after Holmes to this list by Mother Jones:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map?page=2

And here is a list that I found on with a Yahoo search that goes only from 1999 to January 2011:

April 1999 - two teenage schoolboys shot and killed 12 schoolmates and a teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, before killing themselves.

July 1999 - a stock exchange trader in Atlanta, Georgia, killed 12 people including his wife and two children before taking his own life.

September 1999 - a gunman opened fire at a prayer service in Fort Worth, Texas, killing six people before committing suicide.

October 2002 - a series of sniper-style shootings occurred in Washington DC, leaving 10 dead.

August 2003 - in Chicago, a laid-off worker shot and killed six of his former workmates.

November 2004 - in Birchwood, Wisconsin, a hunter killed six other hunters and wounded two others after an argument with them.

March 2005 - a man opened fire at a church service in Brookfield, Wisconsin, killing seven people.

October 2006 - a truck driver killed five schoolgirls and seriously wounded six others in a school in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania before taking his own life.

April 2007 - student Seung-Hui Cho shot and killed 32 people and wounded 15 others at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, before shooting himself, making it the deadliest mass shooting in the United States after 2000.

August 2007 - Three Delaware State University students were shot and killed in “execution style” by a 28-year-old and two 15-year-old boys. A fourth student was shot and stabbed.

December 2007 - a 20-year-old man killed nine people and injured five others in a shopping center in Omaha, Nebraska.

December 2007 - a woman and her boyfriend shot dead six members of her family on Christmas Eve in Carnation, Washington.

February 2008 - a shooter who is still at large tied up and shot six women at a suburban clothing store in Chicago, leaving five of them dead and the remaining one injured.

February 2008 - a man opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois, killing five students and wounding 16 others before laying down his weapon and surrendering.

December 2008 - a man dressed in a Santa Claus suit opened fire at a family Christmas party in Covina, California, then set fire on the house and killed himself. Police later found nine people dead in the debris of the house.

March 2009 - a 28-year-old laid-off worker opened fire while driving a car through several towns in Alabama, killing 10 people.

March 2009 - a heavily armed gunman shot dead eight people, many of them elderly and sick people, in a private-owned nursing home in North Carolina.

March 2009 - six people were shot dead in a high-grade apartment building in Santa Clara, California.

April 2009 - a man shot dead 13 people at a civic center in Binghamton, New York.

July 2009 - Six people, including one student, were shot in a drive-by shooting at a community rally on the campus of Texas Southern University, Houston.

November 2009 - U.S. army psychologist Major Nidal Hasan opened fire at a military base in Fort Hood, Texas, leaving 13 dead and 42 others wounded.

February 2010 – A professor opened fire 50 minutes into at a Biological Sciences Department faculty meeting at the University of Alabama, killing three colleagues and wounding three others.

January 2011 - a gunman opened fire at a public gathering outside a grocery in Tucson, Arizona, killing six people including a 9-year-old girl and wounding at least 12 others. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was severely injured with a gunshot to the head.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:23 PM

17. Like any other religion

Sikhism has its extremists also (look up the Air India bombing where 329 people were killed - 280 of those were Canadians). All religions have peace, love etc as their mainstay. Unfortunately most religions also have extremist whackos who twist and manipulate those main tenants for their own gain.

However, in this case I'd bet the farm that this was a case of mistaken identity. I have a few Sikh friends and many in the community have been targets (one had a relative attacked who ended up in the hospital) since 9/11 by right wing morans who are too stupid to tell the difference between Sikh and Muslim.

Agreed that the violence must stop. Everywhere.

Reply to this post

Response to laundry_queen (Reply #17)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:55 PM

22. add to that the assassination of Indira Ghandi

who was killed by 2 of her own Sikh bodyguards, that is not to say all Sikhs are terrorists either every religion including Islam has extremists, the problem comes when they are made out to be the average

Reply to this post

Response to laundry_queen (Reply #17)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 07:22 PM

30. Thanks, I did not know about that. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:30 PM

18. People Listening to Hate All Week on the Radio Eventually Have Poisoned Souls

It's a sad commentary on our society.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:55 PM

21. The ones I know are OPENLY loving towards everyone, even those who regard them as enemies. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 05:59 PM

23. that is a safe bet

that the killer does not understand the Sikh religion. Very possible he didnt even know they were Sikhs.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 06:32 PM

25. Here's their website

http://www.sikhtempleofwisconsin.com/

Feel free to donate or send a message of support through the "contact us" link.

Reply to this post

Response to Spitfire of ATJ (Reply #25)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 07:24 PM

31. Thank you. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Spitfire of ATJ (Reply #25)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 08:41 PM

33. their donate page seems to be down

Reply to this post

Response to eShirl (Reply #33)

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 08:45 PM

34. Wow, you're right.

I wonder if they are setting up a separate donation fund.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 06:48 PM

28. it Doesn't matter what their faith stands for, they did nothing that made it ok for that person

to go in and start killing them. and i'm pretty sure whoever did it doesn't give a shit about peace love etc.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 07:47 PM

32. right wing gun nuts dont understand much

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 5, 2012, 08:51 PM

35. I was absolutely shocked when I saw this headline.

I've been at work all day, so I just got home and was able to check the news. Unbelievable. Sikhs are peaceful, gentle people. I can't BELIEVE someone went in there and attacked them. We have a Sikh temple (? I'm sorry, I don't know the proper word for the place of worship, I apologize) right down the street from me. I fear for their safety now.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 6, 2012, 02:29 PM

36. Sikhs wear turbans, cartoons depicted Osama and other arabs wearing turbans.

Therefore Sikhs are terrorists. See the definition of the word "raghead" for why this must be true in gun nut right wing looney land.

"Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims" - rightwing logic unassailable by any mere falsifying facts.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 6, 2012, 02:38 PM

37. The white supremacists

have no desire to understand anybody or anything but their own twisted agenda.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread